ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #46
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighAlpineDrifter View Post
I did leave a long description of the issue through their customer service portal. I've also been bashing them for not having an ombudsman.
Well, good luck with that. In my view, that's more of a waste of time than a non-fat decaf latte. With splenda.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #47
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDuane View Post
You've got it all wrong! Learn the process. Help the DMV though each step and leave with what you came to get. Works every time! ......and most of the time they thank you for being prepared!
You ARE being sarcastic, right? It's so hard to tell on the Interwebs...
Old 05-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #48
BootDragger
Rehibilitation Rebel

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp View Post
You ARE being sarcastic, right? It's so hard to tell on the Interwebs...
Actually..... This time I'm not. It works, and very well!

"I like you. People say Ive got no taste, but I like you!."
BootDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #49
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Well you have a very rare and special DMV. If I were you I'd shut up about it before it gets so busy that you can't ever get an appointment!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #50
BootDragger
Rehibilitation Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp View Post
Well you have a very rare and special DMV. If I were you I'd shut up about it before it gets so busy that you can't ever get an appointment!
Haha... Well I have had good fortune at many DMV's and choose to pass the approch that I take to others here. Many have done just that..... Lets just say fighting the DMV doesn't work. Suck it up!

Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #51
HighAlpineDrifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 24,912
Quote:
Actually..... This time I'm not. It works, and very well!
Most people don't define 'Helping the DMV' with 'Hey, can I hook you up with some cigarettes that fell off the back of a truck?'
Old 05-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #52
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Haha... Well I have had good fortune at many DMV's and choose to pass the approch that I take to others here. Many have done just that..... Lets just say fighting the DMV doesn't work. Suck it up!
I agree with you 100% about not fighting with the DMV. That will get you nowhere in a hurry. But my experience has been that they don't want to listen to reason either, or even pay attention to their own words on their own website. If I don't get things resolved, I just go to AAA or to another location. Around my neck of the woods, they know you have no recourse if you take issue with what they say, so they just don't listen and get all pissy when you ask for a supervisor who then acts the same...

WAY too much power entrusted to this agency IMO... government for the government's sake, not for the sake of the people they are supposed to serve!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #53
BootDragger
Rehibilitation Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighAlpineDrifter View Post
Most people don't define 'Helping the DMV' with 'Hey, can I hook you up with some cigarettes that fell off the back of a truck?'
If you think about it, your helping yourself by giving them a smooth transaction. I just used that analagy to get my point across....... Next Please

Old 09-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #54
The Red Wonder
Full of Wonder

Oddometer: 40
At time of purchase....

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I could use some help here.

Ok, I am two steps away from buying a bike in AZ and bringing it back to Southern California.

Unfortunately, it is a 49 state model & it has 60XX miles on it.

According to the DMV: California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

Here is my question: If I purchase the bike with 60XX miles on it and that is what is recorded on the REG 262 (Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form), BUT I put another 1500 miles on it before I register it in the allowable 20 days, will it go through? So the form will say 60xx but at time of registration, the bike would have the required 7500 miles on it.

Or am I better off trying to get the seller to list the odometer reading above 7500, I do the riding, and nobody knows any different?

Thanks for the help!
The Red Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #55
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,039
...DMV wants to see the ODO in person, regardless of what's on the title.
So you'lll have to bring the bike in and show them it in person.
But yes, have the seller write mileage at over 7500 or leave it blank.

Get the bike and ride the 1500 miles. Problem with this is, in AZ the seller keeps his plate, unless you can convince them otherwise.

I bought a bike in AZ with 1200 miles on it.
Had to put it in my daughters name living in Phoenix in the interim so that I'd have a plate in CA.
That said, it was a hoop junmping deal getting a CA plate on it...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #56
The Red Wonder
Full of Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...DMV wants to see the ODO in person, regardless of what's on the title.
So you'lll have to bring the bike in and show them it in person.
But yes, have the seller write mileage at over 7500 or leave it blank.

Get the bike and ride the 1500 miles. Problem with this is, in AZ the seller keeps his plate, unless you can convince them otherwise.

I bought a bike in AZ with 1200 miles on it.
Had to put it in my daughters name living in Phoenix in the interim so that I'd have a plate in CA.
That said, it was a hoop junmping deal getting a CA plate on it...
Thanks for the quick help! My parents live in Az and I could likely have it registered in my dads name (which is my middle name), but I would prefer to skip that step.

Do you know if the DMV only looks for the EPA sticker? Or is it somehow tied to the VIN also? I have seen that I can buy the CA EPA sticker from an OEM parts supply store for $5, if that is all it takes, then I could very quickly make it a "CA - EPA legal" bike.

Thanks again!
Old 09-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #57
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,435
You could also fill out a new 262.

Why would you fill one out anyway with 6000 miles written on it when you know the law is 7500?

Just have 7500 miles on the odo have bike verified at your local DMV in California and you are done.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #58
The Red Wonder
Full of Wonder

Another poster had the idea of switching the Odo in to Km mode. But either way, I think I will just have to make sure the 262 says something greater than 7500
Old 09-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #59
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,435
I don't get it. Where is this 262 coming from? YOU fill it out yourself. It doesn't matter what the 262 says, the verifier puts the miles on his form and that's the miles. They physically look at the odo and stickers......and that's ALL they look at.....it can have no exhaust a Harley exhaust a racing exhaust, no lights, horn turn signals,,,,actually all you need is a frame with an engine in it and the stickers...bike doesn't need to run or be whole.
It's a verification of mileage/VIN and stickers...they do not check ANY equipment...the odo doesn't even need to work

What bike is it?
If the VIN shows it's a dirt bike you can't get plates.

If it's registered in your name already in other State 49 state and 7500 mile law don't count and you can import. You can still only have plates if it's a designated street bike though.

TUCKERS screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 09:23 PM
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #60
The Red Wonder
Full of Wonder

Reg 262

I understand what you are saying, but the reg clearly states that the seller has to sign the document certifying the info is correct AT TIME OF TRANSFER.

I am hoping I can just get his signature and fill the rest out myself later. I have already figured out how to quickly add 1500 miles to the odometer (SpeedoDRD set to +99% multiplier and 15 miles ) The odometer will be off by 1500, but I can always set it to -99% for a few weeks while I ride another 1500 miles, then it will be close.

The bike is a WR250X, so the street legal thing is no problem.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I think I am pretty well set.