ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #61
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,000
Thumb

Brilliant!

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #62
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,376
You just sign the sellers name yourself. You did remember to keep that 'Power of Attorney' regarding this vehicle transfer only that he gave you?

FYI. There is no copy of the signature on file with DMV.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #63
The Red Wonder
Full of Wonder

Oddometer: 42
I have not bought the bike yet. I'm aware I could just forge his name, but would feel morally better if I didn't have to.

What's this business with the power of attorney? I saw it at the bottom of the 262 but figured I would leave it blank
The Red Wonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #64
TUCKERS
the famous james

Now, now, it's not a forgery...it's a convenience signing. You don't try and forge or copy his name, you just sign it in your own handwriting.

A POA is common place in such matters. Gives you authority to sign ANY papers in his absence regarding this vehicle only, it's very specific. You can pick one up at a local DMV or perhaps download one.

I wouldn't bother. As long as you buy the bike legally I'd just sign the name. More illegal would be to have someone sign a blank form!....with me that is NOT happening.

POA may not work re mileage statement.

The moral went out the window as soon as you started to get around the mileage clause.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #65
The Red Wonder
Full of Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
The moral went out the window as soon as you started to get around the mileage clause.
Hey hey hey, no need to judge...I understand the intention of the law, but it's still dumb, anything more than a year old regardless of miles is in my books, not "new".

But with this power of attorney, I can have him sign the bottom of the REG 262, then I can fill out papers for this specific bike on his behalf?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #66
TUCKERS
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Wonder View Post
Hey hey hey, no need to judge...I understand the intention of the law, but it's still dumb, anything more than a year old regardless of miles is in my books, not "new".

But with this power of attorney, I can have him sign the bottom of the REG 262, then I can fill out papers for this specific bike on his behalf?

YES................The POA is just what it implies.

I'm not the judge. The judgement has already been made.

To me and anyone else who has sold vehicles for a living and career, once the vehicle has been registered it's 'used'
it is dumb......try selling a vehicle with less than 7500 miles on it and saying 'it's a new vehicle'...that just wouldn't fly.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #67
The Red Wonder
Full of Wonder

Thanks for the help, it is always better to go in to this situation prepared!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #68
TUCKERS
the famous james

Yes, one must know the enemies strategy and deal with it accordingly.

There is no way around giving them what they want, so one has to be creative in the giving.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #69
The Red Wonder
Full of Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
YES................The POA is just what it implies.
One last question on this Power Of Attorney.

Is it completely legal and ok for the Seller to give Power of Attorney to the buyer (me)? I can then fill out all forms on his behalf?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #70
TUCKERS
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Wonder View Post
One last question on this Power Of Attorney.

Is it completely legal and ok for the Seller to give Power of Attorney to the buyer (me)? I can then fill out all forms on his behalf?
Yes, that's what it's for. Only specific to the vehicle on the form, you can't go to his bank and get his money! There really are no more forms for the seller to do anyway, but as a dealer we always say you never know, so we always get POA, that way you are not running back and forth. If they need his sig you can sign with his POA.
It's kind of stupid anyway because they don't have a copy of the sig anyway, so you could sign it without POA. The big thing is you are signing under penalty of perjury, so if you sign anything to make an illegal move you are screwed.
What you have to do is know what they want and give it to them, you must know though, sometimes the clerk does not know. All the clerk has is a computer screen, what the screen says is what you must go by. As a dealer we used to get a 'KSR' which is a print out of the screen. Then you match the paperwork to the screen regardless. You can't do it to steal a bike, but if all your ducks are in a row and it's your machine we have used some 'creative paperwork' to facilitate a smooth transfer.
I still do this for a fee. I am open with my local DMV. If you need a sig you need a POA, or you have to go outside because the signer is sitting in your car right? It's not for illegal purposes, it's for convenience. If you are in Pomona and your seller is on vacation in Syria what are you going to do if they forgot to cross an i or dot a T? or even dot an i or cross a T! see.
Common sense must prevail in such matters or the wheels of commerce may collapse and Zombies will take over.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #71
The Red Wonder
Full of Wonder

Thanks!

I will keep you posted on how everything goes
Old 09-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #72
The Red Wonder
Full of Wonder

Hey Tuckers, I just picked up the bike but after I left I realized I did not get the AZ registration certificate for the bike. Is that needed? I know that in Arizona the license plate stays with the seller.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #73
The Red Wonder
Full of Wonder

Ok, according to this, it is "usually not required"

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/checklists/outofstate.htm
Old 09-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #74
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,000
Here's one for those in the know.

'03 XR650R, original Cal bike now in WA.
Is not plated but has lights, needs blinkers.

What's the prognosis on bringing it back into CA and making it a plated dualsport?

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #75
TUCKERS
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
Here's one for those in the know.

'03 XR650R, original Cal bike now in WA.
Is not plated but has lights, needs blinkers.

What's the prognosis on bringing it back into CA and making it a plated dualsport?
Take the VIN # to your local DMV, they'll run it and tell you (if it's in the system) or if it's a no no vin. That's all you can do because that is all they do....run the VIN on the computer and then they go with that info.