Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #1561
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtyfun
Clarke emailed me today. They produced the first XT gas tank last friday. They have asked to borrow my bike again for final fit and install my new blue 4.1 gallon tank this Thursday. Pictures to follow when I get the bike back probably after the weekend. This is finally going to happen!!!!!!!!

DOOOOOD! thats good news! 280+ mile range.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #1562
MasterChief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
XT in action

Anybody got any good pictures of their XT in action.

Here is one from my ride yesterday.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #1563
AnthonyD
Nothing to see here...

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief
Anybody got any good pictures of their XT in action.

Here is one from my ride yesterday.

Great shot!
FLY NAVY...
Old 05-19-2009, 12:23 AM   #1564
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 3,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonotch
Z-mod or something rediculous like that
ahem.. Z1 mod. search it out on xt225.com
Old 05-19-2009, 04:50 AM   #1565
AaronK
Grumpy Grumperson

Oddometer: 260
XT225 Dirt-Bagz

Hey ladies and gents,

I received an email from www.dbzproducts.com. They are now making brackets for the XT225. I use their Dirt-Bagz soft pannier system on my DR650 and DR350 and have been very happy with their quality products and service. I will order a set and post some pics. I'm not related to this company.
AaronK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:53 AM   #1566
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,916
Phædrus, I got a fresh Kenda on the rear for Sweatfest II. I also have a new 14t CSS that I'm not gonna use. It's yours if you want me to bring it along

I flushed the front brakes, cleaned and lubed the wheel bearings, cleaned at the chain, installed a carb mounted choke, and put a bit-o-slime in the front tube just for S&G.

The 4.1gal Clarke will be a cool addition for sure! I'll need to add some Sta-Bil when I fill it up. I have not put 300 miles on the XT in the year I've owned it Now that I'm down to two motorcycles though it'll see more use.... Until something orange follows me home...shhh
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:45 AM   #1567
littleair
n00b

Oddometer: 3
rack

Where did you ge the rack for your xt? How much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof
Woo, XT thread!

I have an 05 XT with an embarrassingly small amount of miles on it. My plan is to remedy that for 07. My fiancé also has an XT (2002 IIRC) but will probably sell it soon as he is 6'4" and wants something a little taller.

I haven't done any real mods to the bike, other than adding handguards, a tail rack, and 12v socket for my GPS.

Someone asked about mileage...I get around 110 miles before having to switch to reserve, so that'd be around 50mpg. That's city mileage; my touring mileage is a bit better.

This bike frickin' ROCKS. Dammit, now I want to go riding instead of sitting in this really boring meeting surfing the internet. Pooters.

littleair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #1568
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Trip Report / Tire Review

Quick Trip report (with Cheng Shin C858 rear review at the bottom)

I got some great riding in this weekend. I rode out to a friend's farm in WV for camp out and trail riding adventure. It was 330 miles round trip plus all the trail miles. That stock seat has got to go! I'm a 185lb adult male - this bike was not exactly built for me... I know. But I love it anyway!! It so freakin light.

My friends farm is on a beautiful 150 acres in Eastern West Virginia. In addition to my XT and the the other guy's big GS's et al, he had several ATV's and two small (read fun as hell) dirt bikes. What a great weekend.

My XT packed up with Borego rack + Pelican case on top and Flambeau Dry Boxes mounted to the grab rails with U-bolts per Barnone's idea. (THANKS BARNONE!) The dry boxes are a little flexible and the lids don't quite clear my Pelican - but it's still a sweet setup. A little additional creativity had them tight and solid for the trip. Nice (CHEAP) System!

The original homestead and all associated outbuilding are still standing on-site. I believe these buildings date back to the 1820's.

Jeff and Rudy posing next to their barn burners.

The Crew

TIRE REVIEW (as promised)

Before the trip I replaced my rear stocker with a Chen Shin C858. I had about 5K miles on the stock rubber and really should have replaced it at least 1000 miles sooner - oh well, it's done now. Anyway, I only replaced the rear as the front seemed to have some life left in it.

Model / Size: Cheng Shin C858, 4.60 - 18

First Impression: According to my math this tire is slightly narrower than the stock one by about 3MM, but it looks a good bit wider. It has impressive tread and good soft rubber. It's a burly looking tire.

Installation: As a few have mentioned Cheng Shins tend be a little tight. This one is no exception. It was pain to get on and get properly seated, but it does eventually fall into place. The knobs do indeed stick out further than the stock tire - I had to modify the chain guard to keep the tire from rubbing.

Dirt performance: This tire is a beast. It had grip for days on just about any surface. Even mud wasn't a big deal. It helped me climb steep inclines with loose soil, rocks and branches without a hitch. I never lost confidence in this tire.

Tarmac performance: Now this is where things fall apart (but it may be my fault.) Side grip is fine. It could hold a turn easily as far as grip goes, but I found it impossible to hold a steady line. The bike now has it's own ideas of what line I'm supposed to take. And at speeds in excess of 40mph the front end felt very loose and sloppy. At speeds above 60-65mph it was esspecially scary. It would develop a speed wobble that really seemed like it could turn into a tank slapper with the slightest provocation.
Which leads to a question... (See next post)

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:38 AM   #1569
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Tire Question (see previous post for detail)

Do you think the tarmac performance problems noted above could be caused by the current combination of tires?

-New Cheng Shin C858 - 4.60 - 18 on the rear.
-Mildly worn stock Cheng Shin (whatever model that is) 2.75 - 21 on the front.

(edit: it's clearly related to the new rear tire. The Question is can I solve it with a new front tire?)

teeter screwed with this post 05-19-2009 at 11:07 AM
teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #1570
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter
Do you think the tarmac performance problems noted above could be caused by the current combination of tires?

-New Cheng Shin C858 - 4.60 - 18 on the rear.
-Mildly worn stock Cheng Shin (whatever model that is) 2.75 - 21 on the front.

(edit: it's clearly related to the new rear tire. The Question is can I solve it with a new front tire?)
Put on a Pirelli MT21 on the front when you are ready. Those Cheng Shins handle badly on the street. You could also have a problem if you are carrying all that weight seen on your previous post.

I am running the MT21 front and rear.
Here is my luggage. The bike works GREAT and is nice and stable. When these tires are done I am going with the Duro's or Avon Distanzias.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:01 AM   #1571
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

I run Kendas. 776f up front 90/90-21, and a 760 Trak Master II on the rear 100/100-18 about 15psi in both, and ~6oz of slime in the front just for good measure.
Mine sees very little use on road- actually very little use period (it's a 92 with 4200 miles) so I'm not real worried about tire life. They really seem to hook up off road
Quote:
My bad
Old 05-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #1572
O'Hooligan
Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer: 613
Hey Buzztail, did you have any problems with the chain length with the Trackmaster on the rear?
O'Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #1573
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Hooligan
Hey Buzztail, did you have any problems with the chain length with the Trackmaster on the rear?
It's snug, but no. That is why I ordered the 14t cs incase I needed a little extra room. Well that and 2nd gear wheelies I didn't use it though as the chain was good to go
Quote:
My bad
Old 05-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #1574
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 3,087
Damn Buzz, 100/100 must be the ticket. the 110/90 that mug gave me did not fit. Theres some striking pics to prove this.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:55 AM   #1575
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Yeah, I reckon 110/90 would be too tight after seeing this one fit. After I bought this one I talked to PK and think he's running a 100/100 on Kims bike too. If I keep the little bike for any length of time I'm going to play with the gearing, and then I'll just buy a chain that's longer, and move the axle back.
The tank availability is what'll make my choice about the XT having a long time home here
Quote:
My bad