Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #151
motocyco
nOOb

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
The Kenda K270 feels pretty squirrely, too.
Are the K270's squirrely all the time, or just tight, hard cornering like the 761's?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #152
blimpman
Fla Trail Rider

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU
Set the fuel selector to OFF a minute or two before you shut down the XT225. Not only will you avoid this problem, but you will make it much easier to start next time (just remember to turn the fuel back on). Anyone with starting problems should try this.
+ 1 on the turning gas the petcock off and running it almost dry before stopping. Mine starts easily even at 0-5 deg F and it is bone stock. GREAT fun bike!!!
http://www.floridatrailriders.org
blimpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #153
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by motocyco
Are the K270's squirrely all the time, or just tight, hard cornering like the 761's?
Mostly just in the hard corners. But also the front is squirrley under hard braking. I don't think it's dangerous, you just have to get used to it. But I'm not cornering as hard with the K270's, anyway, because it's disconcerting and I'm not in a hurry. I practice locking up the front wheel (be careful) on pavement to make sure I know where the limit is on the Kenda's. Also the bike wants to fall into corners much more on turn-in with the Kenda's.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:53 PM   #154
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
I really Pirelli MT21 front and rear.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:07 AM   #155
olehipi
The Bo's'n

Oddometer: 38
XT225 Commuter

Hello all, I recently purchased a new ’07 XT225 to give my Bonnie a rest from commuting. I’ve put over 30K on it in the last 3 years and since I plan to keep it forever I decided I needed another bike for those duties. So far the little Yammie has been a hoot to commute on! I swapped the OEM knobbies out for some Avon Distanzia dual purpose tires, Bill’s larger footpegs, turbocity tailrack, and a cheap JC Whitney topbox. Also wanted something for the wife to learn on. Hope that it’s up to the 50 mile roundtrip to work and back. I hear the motor is bulletproof, we’ll soon see. Here’s my yahoo photo site: photos.yahoo.com\olehipi. Now I just need to find some dirt roads!!

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/olehipi/...04238420627/12
olehipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:49 AM   #156
HokieDNA01
Dirty Sport Girl!

Oddometer: 183
Wow that tail rack is great. Did you build that yourself of special order it? I plan to do a lot of camping on my xt and need more storage room for supplies. I think a rack like that would be perfect.

Fast and Dirty Toys Aren't Just For Boys!!
Myspace

2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250
2000 Yamaha XT225
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:08 PM   #157
olehipi
The Bo's'n

Oddometer: 38
turbocity tailrack

If you are going to do some camping, check out the tailrack with siderails too.
http://www.turbocity.com/default.php?cPath=69_70
olehipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:53 AM   #158
AD7AN
Goat Roaper

Oddometer: 11
350 miles

I'm basically a motorcycle noob, who purchased an XT225 to make local trips for work, and for fishing/small game hunting in the great outdoors. The XT225 attracted me because it got great mileage, had a good price, and was a recommended small learner bike.

I have only 355 miles on it so far, and am having a second childhood of fun. I need the weather to warm up enough to get out and fish in the local streams and mountain lakes for trout, but till then I am riding it on dirty, muddy roads, and the local highway. I have had it up to 65, but don't want to run it at that speed long until it reaches the 1000 mile mark and is fully broken in. I am already getting 80 mpg with the high altitude jet in the carb.

My wife got on it on Sunday and rode it around the parking lot. She got off with a smile on her face, and said, "I want one." I told her to pass her written test and then we will see.

Now for the questions:
How can I pack a fishing rod or gun on this bike? Anyone doing this?
Do I need to buy the Yamaha valve adjustment tool to do the 600 mile adjustment or is there a substitute?
When the bike is fully broken in, will riding it at 65 mph for long periods of time damage the bike?
"When I became a man, I put childish ways behind." 1 Corinthians 13:11

1st bike: Benelli Moped at age 14.
2nd bike: Yamaha Serow XT-225 at age 42.

Well...it's a start.
AD7AN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:42 AM   #159
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD7AN
I'm basically a motorcycle noob, who purchased an XT225 to make local trips for work, and for fishing/small game hunting in the great outdoors. The XT225 attracted me because it got great mileage, had a good price, and was a recommended small learner bike.

I have only 355 miles on it so far, and am having a second childhood of fun. I need the weather to warm up enough to get out and fish in the local streams and mountain lakes for trout, but till then I am riding it on dirty, muddy roads, and the local highway. I have had it up to 65, but don't want to run it at that speed long until it reaches the 1000 mile mark and is fully broken in. I am already getting 80 mpg with the high altitude jet in the carb.

My wife got on it on Sunday and rode it around the parking lot. She got off with a smile on her face, and said, "I want one." I told her to pass her written test and then we will see.

Now for the questions:
How can I pack a fishing rod or gun on this bike? Anyone doing this?
Do I need to buy the Yamaha valve adjustment tool to do the 600 mile adjustment or is there a substitute?
When the bike is fully broken in, will riding it at 65 mph for long periods of time damage the bike?
Congratulations on the excellent bike. You could probably get by with a box-end wrench and needle-nose pliers for setting the valve clearance. My brothers tie their fishing rod cases to the back of the bikes. One of the DR200's has a milkcrate bolted to the back, so it offers an attachment point up a little higher.

I'm sure you could take an ATV gun case and attach it to the back somehow. Just go third-world in your thinking and you'll dream up something.

I think the XT would be fine all day long at 60-65 indicated. I know someone who rode one to work, 70 miles round-trip, all summer long, every day, with an XT225, and he experienced no difficulties. It was rural highway, so he was riding at 60-65.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:45 AM   #160
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD7AN

a recommended small learner bike.
It's not just a small learner bike, it's a keeper, even if you get another bike. It does more and more as you become a better rider, and it does things that are much harder to do on bigger bikes. And it costs you very little.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:14 AM   #161
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by olehipi
If you are going to do some camping, check out the tailrack with siderails too.
http://www.turbocity.com/default.php?cPath=69_70
Thanks for the link, I have that tourmaster cortec luggage which I haven't used since selling my big strom, I need those racks for my GF's xt225.

GaM screwed with this post 03-13-2007 at 11:20 AM
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #162
deej
Deej (Deric)

Oddometer: 508
Here are a couple of my wife on her bike, she loves riding, and passed the MSF class back in October.

And me and my bike, I know not a XT 225, but I wanted to keep the pics together.
deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:57 PM   #163
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Old 03-13-2007, 05:41 PM   #164
DavidW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Well. I am almost in the club. Signed the purchase documents today and brought an 2006 XT225. Plan is to get insurance on it and ride it home Saturday . Weather permitting. Which doesn't look good for Saturday according to the wx guy.

Now wondering why I did such an impulsive thing. I don't have the time an energy to ride the bikes I have already. Could it be an strong urge associated with reading to many XT225 newsgroups ? Does this bike create extra time and energy ?? Besides gas what new first item will I want to buy ? Those Acerbis hand guards do look like a nice addon.

David
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #165
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW
Well. I am almost in the club. Signed the purchase documents today and brought an 2006 XT225. Plan is to get insurance on it and ride it home Saturday . Weather permitting. Which doesn't look good for Saturday according to the wx guy.

Now wondering why I did such an impulsive thing. I don't have the time an energy to ride the bikes I have already. Could it be an strong urge associated with reading to many XT225 newsgroups ? Does this bike create extra time and energy ?? Besides gas what new first item will I want to buy ? Those Acerbis hand guards do look like a nice addon.

David
I think what's great about the little bikes is they use very little of your time and energy, so you end up riding them more with a bigger smile on your face.

I wouldn't buy anything at first except maybe a cargo net. My DR200 is still bone stock after six years of riding. I'm thinking of a bigger front sprocket. It's the best bang for the buck I've ever gotten out of a bike. And it gets more smiles to the gallon than any other bike I've owned.

It's outside right now at work, I can see it out the window.

I know what you mean about impulse, I can't seem to get a TW200 out of my head.