Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2007, 08:13 AM   #196
slip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
My gosh, it's beautiful there. 125 miles on an XT, wow, that's amazing. I am thinking of a small dual sport bike myself. Believe it or not, I am getting tired of riding my ZRX1200. Everytime I ride it, I break the speed limit. It's hard to be disiplined when you have that HP on tap. A smaller bike will slow me down.
slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:39 AM   #197
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,827
The smaller bikes are more fun in many ways, more carefree pure fun, and kind of keep you out of trouble, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip
My gosh, it's beautiful there. 125 miles on an XT, wow, that's amazing. I am thinking of a small dual sport bike myself. Believe it or not, I am getting tired of riding my ZRX1200. Everytime I ride it, I break the speed limit. It's hard to be disiplined when you have that HP on tap. A smaller bike will slow me down.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:22 PM   #198
Squall Line
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Here are a few pictures of my bike reposted from xt225.com. The only disappointment on this bike is the rear wheel/ brake assembly. Mods are : TTR225 rear fender with a WR taillight assembly; Promoto rack; FMF slip on; Renthal YZ bend bars; Cycra probends with triple tree mounts; rejetted with a 130 main and 42.5 pilot with 2.5 turns on the screw... It runs like a champ for its size.

Squall Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:34 PM   #199
crushingchestpain
Banned

Oddometer: 382
my only disappointment

the rear drum sucks
crushingchestpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:35 PM   #200
Squall Line
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushingchestpain
the rear drum sucks
If only yamaha would take a look around and realize the jdm/euro xt250 or a street legal usdm ttr250 (now discontinued ) would be the ticket, and at a very similar price point (hell, the rear disc on the special edition Japanese xt225s would be tits) ...
Old 05-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #201
3gdc
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Cool2 3gdc

For squall line: I see the fmf slip exhaust. i tried to order a FMF for my 2006 xt 225. It was off by an inch lining up with the existing fasteners on bike. What model is the pipe? Also I'd like to rejet the Carb. I've found a supplier that sells individual jets for the mikuni but need to know size, round or hex head ect. Have viewed exploded drawing, but unable to get exact specs. may have to tear into carb. ANY Help.
3gdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #202
Squall Line
Adventurer

The fmf is for a ttr225 model, pre 05 I believe... My pipe is a direct fit to the stock head pipe. Beware that it is loud. The jets are the small round heads. There is a lot of info over at xt225.com on jetting for these bikes. I am running a 130 main, 42.5 pilot and have cut down the stock snorkel. This is at sea level- 250ft msl, so your results may vary, but the bike screams for a 225cc girl bike!

Did you perhaps get a pipe from a ttr230? Only other thing I can think is if you haven't slid it on far enough.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #203
3gdc
n00b

Wink Thanks

Thanks for the info, I'm going to order the jets today. I drilled out the baffle of the stock exhaust. removed the snorklel for air box. Throtel response is moderately better, exhaust a bit louder but not much. I'm not necessarily after louder but more power. The bike seems to need less throtel to maintain speed. Im not light about 235 lbs. thge bike is noticablly quicker from a stop. thanks again.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:39 AM   #204
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Oddometer: 1,475
Carb problems

I got my XT last year, it is an 05. I have had some carb issues like some as well, the airbox is stock, I am using a Unifilter and have done the drill the exhaust mod. I did rejet teh carb and increased the main and pilot jets one size from stock.

My problem is after running wide open for a little while if I roll off and then back on again there is a very noticable pause before the bike comes back to life. Another thing is on my commute I can be running along and come to a stop sign and the bike will stall for no reason, it starts right back up. The carb was very clean inside but it almost sounds like the slide is sticking doesn't it? The idle is not that low either and the pilot screw is out about 3 turns.

Any ideas?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:47 AM   #205
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by moterbiker
I got my XT last year, it is an 05. I have had some carb issues like some as well, the airbox is stock, I am using a Unifilter and have done the drill the exhaust mod. I did rejet teh carb and increased the main and pilot jets one size from stock.

My problem is after running wide open for a little while if I roll off and then back on again there is a very noticable pause before the bike comes back to life. Another thing is on my commute I can be running along and come to a stop sign and the bike will stall for no reason, it starts right back up. The carb was very clean inside but it almost sounds like the slide is sticking doesn't it? The idle is not that low either and the pilot screw is out about 3 turns.

Any ideas?
You're running too rich, I'd put money on it. I had this exact same problem with my wife's XT- I did airbox mods, etc. but at our altitude the stock jetting was just too rich. I dropped the main jet down 1 size and it is running great. This is with the stock pilot, too. For your altitude, I'd leave the larger pilot (pilot circuit on these things is notoriously lean from the factory) and drop your main jet back a size. Or try pulling the snorkel out of the airbox and see if that leans it out enough, but I'd bet you'd still need to drop the main back. Removing the snorkel made the bike louder, but definitely made a noticable improvement in top end power. Running on the highway is easier now.... These small displacement bikes are very sensitive to jetting, I've found. It took many many tries for me to get it running just right. Good luck!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #206
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
You're running too rich, I'd put money on it. I had this exact same problem with my wife's XT- I did airbox mods, etc. but at our altitude the stock jetting was just too rich. I dropped the main jet down 1 size and it is running great. This is with the stock pilot, too. For your altitude, I'd leave the larger pilot (pilot circuit on these things is notoriously lean from the factory) and drop your main jet back a size. Or try pulling the snorkel out of the airbox and see if that leans it out enough, but I'd bet you'd still need to drop the main back. Removing the snorkel made the bike louder, but definitely made a noticable improvement in top end power. Running on the highway is easier now.... These small displacement bikes are very sensitive to jetting, I've found. It took many many tries for me to get it running just right. Good luck!
I will pull out the snorkel and try that, but I have done a test of riding at full throttle for 5-6 miles and then cutting the motor and pulling the plug, it looks perfect. I ride it pretty hard and still getting about 55MPG too.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #207
3gdc
n00b

Wink Easy Mods

2006 XT225. Drilled out baffle inside stock exhaust, 16 - 1/4" inche holes (used a 12" extender to reach back (towards the front of the bike) into the baffle. Cut snorkel back inside air box and outside it had a 90 degree rearward bend in it. Had taken the snorkel out but was to loud and vibrated-resonated. Drilled three 1" holes in side cover of airbox, inserted vents with sponge filters in them. They snap in. drilled out plug for mixture screw was 1.5 turns out now 3. Started this Am very easy with 1/2 choke for 2-3 mins. better throttle response seems quicker, noticably easier starting and less throttle at speed 55-65 mph. Waiting on jets, ordered two a 140 and a 150, possibly an exhaust pipe too.

3gdc screwed with this post 05-08-2007 at 04:28 AM
Old 05-07-2007, 11:35 AM   #208
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
I will pull out the snorkel and try that, but I have done a test of riding at full throttle for 5-6 miles and then cutting the motor and pulling the plug, it looks perfect. I ride it pretty hard and still getting about 55MPG too.
I did the same thing- and it confused the hell out of me, and I kept going the wrong way. The plug even looked white, which should indicate a lean condition, but when I went leaner, the symptoms went away and it ran better than ever. The hesitation after rolling the throttle off is a symptom of it running too rich. Rotate the carb, pull the float bowl, change the main jet. It'll take 10 minutes. I'd bet it fixes it.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #209
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
I did the same thing- and it confused the hell out of me, and I kept going the wrong way. The plug even looked white, which should indicate a lean condition, but when I went leaner, the symptoms went away and it ran better than ever. The hesitation after rolling the throttle off is a symptom of it running too rich. Rotate the carb, pull the float bowl, change the main jet. It'll take 10 minutes. I'd bet it fixes it.
I will give it a shot, thanks.

BTW, If I bring the bike to Colorado how should the jetting be changed for altitude?

Old 05-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #210
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
I will give it a shot, thanks.

BTW, If I bring the bike to Colorado how should the jetting be changed for altitude?
I ended up going to a #122 main, I believe. I'd leave the pilot jet alone.

I even tried a 140 main and the bike was unrideable...