Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #496
Dirtcheap
It's time to the game!!!!

Oddometer: 36
Can somebody please tell me what the difference is between the Serow from the UK, and my xt225??
Old 01-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #497
NDVR
Ben

Oddometer: 53
Welcome, Reefshark!

Dirtcheap...a lot of the overseas serows are 250s. I don't know if they ALL are or not. 2008 will be the first year in...I dunno, boys how many years has it been?......a long time since us poor hicks have had the 250.

BTW, we're in the same boat. Now mine won't start. And I have to charge the battery now cuz of my crankin' & cussin'. Any dippy little problem when you're inexperienced seems like the biggest PITA. I'm quite the noob, and I'm trying, but this shit is extremely frustrating. I let some of the gas out of the float bowl, but I stopped, thinking "good god, how much is there?" And I tried starting it with the petcock off, thinking maybe I could use up some fuel that way. And then I turned the petcock on, and then I stared for a second, and then I pleaded. No such luck. I bought this sucker to commute on, among other things, so I'm pretty ticked that I won't be able to ride it to work. But I guess the weather is turning crappy so my 40 mile Polar Bear commute won't really be missed. But my $5 savings in gas will!
So, can any of you fellas tell my where to spray the starting fluid?
NDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #498
NDVR
Ben

also...

If you look at Reggie's 250 from an earlier post (he's "the cameraman") and Reefshark's 225, you can see they look quite different. The '08 XT250 coming to North America will be almost exactly like Reggie's, except for some different graphics. So basically, there's a 225 with 6speed, rear drum brake and a skid plate, and a 250 with 5speed, rear disc, and no skidplate. I like the looks of our 225s, but I came up in the '80s
Old 01-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #499
Dirtcheap

Sorry Fella!!!!!

NDRV sorry... For rubbing off my bad luck on you and all!!!lol One big difference tween you and I though. At least you've been able to ride yours! Mine wouldn't even as much as fart when crankin her over!!! Just kept killing the battery, and chargin it up again, and again , and again!! you get the idea. I told the dealer I better not have any of these issues when I pick the bike up in March. I hear you and can relate on the commuting thing. That's why I bought mine. I do community health care and am on the go for about 10 hours a day. I don't have time to be playing games. That's why I bought a qaulity brand name bike so's not to have these problems. I dunno am I being nieve, but when I bought it I just asumed it would be like a new vehicle, jump on her and go! Am I missing somthing. Hey thanks on clarifying the Serow thing for me. I really don't like the looks of the '08XT, and didn't really like the sounds of a 5 speed tranny? Anyway take care.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #500
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Mornin NDVR,

the 250cc version of the Serow was launched in Japan in March 2005, as a 20th anniversary model and mine was one of the very first ones imported into the UK.

Nice to see that the US are finally getting them in, as this should ensure more accessories become available!

Lots of kit's available from Japan but the costs are unbelievable.

By the way Dirtcheap, I've done over 40,000km's on 225 Serows, over a 12 year period and 60,000km's, over 2.2 years on my 250 Serow and have no complaints only compliments on the 5 speed transmission. The extra torque that the engine provides more than covers the removal of one gear.
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:14 AM   #501
Dirtcheap

Mornin Cameraman

Do you know why they wouldn't put a 6 speed tranny on the '08? It was a real tos up for me when shopping around. The dealer had one '07 in stock, and would be getting the '08 in at the end of the month. I decided to go with the'07 just because of the tranny issue. I knew I was giving up the little extra power, but with me being brand new to this whole thing, I didn't think I need that extra power. I will learn on this guy and maybe then eventually move up to somthing a little more powerful.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #502
N1ckR
Serowist

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDVR
If you look at Reggie's 250 from an earlier post (he's "the cameraman") and Reefshark's 225, you can see they look quite different. The '08 XT250 coming to North America will be almost exactly like Reggie's, except for some different graphics. So basically, there's a 225 with 6speed, rear drum brake and a skid plate, and a 250 with 5speed, rear disc, and no skidplate. I like the looks of our 225s, but I came up in the '80s
UK XT225 are all unofficial Jap imports and are very similar to the USA spec ones. Carb settings, silencer and lights been the main differences. Newer Jap XT225 were upgraded with tubeless rear wheel and disk brake.

I know Reefshark has a WR headlamp and fender on and a different silencer and other bits and bats which is why his looks quite different, but heres a shot my 1990 model:

and a later one (SteveyB) with mine and Reggies behind (Picture by Reggie AKA the Cameraman):

My website | Money Traffic Blog | Give Blood | Kill Spills
N1ckR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #503
reefshark
n00b

Oddometer: 3
mine looks different as it has a wr250 silencer a wr headlight and renthal handle bars the cowling round the headlight is standard its a 1992 one as the front mudguard in the offroad shots is an acerbis one so it looks a little different
reefshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #504
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Hi Dirtcheap,

don't think of the 250 serow being more powerful than the 225 but rather as having more torque.

So cruise speeds, acceleration etc will all be about the same but the 250 ride will be slightly lazier, as needing less gear changes.

Both great bikes in their own right and can be ridden side by side with ease.
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #505
NDVR
Ben

oh bummer...

The weather didn't get as cold as expected, so I'm really jonesin' now!

Nick - nice clean bike!

Thanks, guys for helping me clarify the differences in the models.

I'm going to call my dealer tonight and see what the srvc mgr has to say about the starting issue. I don't really know what to expect other than taking it in so they can thaw it out and start it. But loading it up, taking it in, leaving it, picking it up, bringing it home...only to have it not start again doesn't sound very appealing. I know the dealerships sort of have their hands tied because it's taboo for them to "uncork" a bike. I get it. But I'm interested to see if he has any other suggestions. I'm trying to visualize all the wonderful years and happy-go-lucky times I'm going to have with sleeping beauty out there, but right now I keep thinking about all the Suzuki owners out there roaring around in the cold.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #506
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,461
My wife's XT is very hard to start in the cold, and living at over 7,000', it is often cold. Another owner that lives here showed us a trick that has worked everytime. You'll think I'm crazy, but try it. Pull the carb vent hose out so you can reach it, wipe the oil and junk off of it, then blow into it. You'll hear the gas in the float bowl bubbling. Tuck the hose back in and start it.

I thought he was crazy when he told me this trick, but it has worked every time.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #507
NDVR
Ben

Hey Dirtcheap

Man, they're gonna keep it til March? That sucks. Maybe when I figure out what the hell I'm doing and modify what needs modifying, you can go get your lazy wench from the stealer and I'll walk you through the necessaries. With lots of help from the thread, of course! With all the knowledge on this forum, and the dealerships' inability to address carb issues due to legality, I don't really care if I void the damn warranty. Honestly, it's only good for a year, and we're surrounded by people who swear by these machines. It's amazing, but we're surrounded by at least half a millenia of combined experience!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #508
NDVR
Ben

Eh? for the luvva....

I'm trying it!

Now if you had suggested anything in the realm of suck starting, I'm afraid that's where I'd have to draw the line.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #509
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDVR
I'm trying it!

Now if you had suggested anything in the realm of suck starting, I'm afraid that's where I'd have to draw the line.

My wife always says she has to "blow" the bike.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:04 PM   #510
NDVR
Ben

Did you have to drill the airbox, etc. to make yours run ok at that altitude? and/or any carb mods?