Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2008, 10:04 PM   #571
Hi Guys
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0
The pilot screw is under the carb, behind a brass plug near the engine side (carb output). You may or may not have a plug, my wife's did not which was pretty nice. Removing it can be a bit tricky.

Basically, remove the side covers, seat, tank shrouds and tank. Loosen (quite a lot) the clamps that hold the carb (one in front, one to rear). If necessary untie the throttle/choke cable to get some slack. Rotate the carb to access the plug. Use a small drill bit and carefully drill out the plug (very careful, you don't want to mess up the pilot screw). If it doesn't pop out during drilling, insert a small sheet metal/wood screw and use that to extract it.

Once it's gone, adjusting is easy. Turn it until it just seats (stops turning, gentle you don't want to snug it down..just until it resists turning more). You may want to count how many turns it was at, I usually don't. Turn it out 2.5 turns for starters, rotate carb back..tighten clamps and put it back together.
I found it thank you. It does not appear to have a brass plug. I will tackle that in the near future. I better be careful I might get some confidence working on bikes.

I enjoyed reading your website by the way.
Hi Guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:09 AM   #572
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDVR

Have you sacrificed gas mileage? If so, how much?

Dirtcheap - I hope my experience helps you with your dealer. You can also call Yamaha. I know it's a pain in the ass, and you're sick of the whole thing, but make them fix it if you can. Besides, when I bought the xt Yamaha sent me a survey re: my experience with the dealership, do I like my new bike, etc. I can't WAIT to fill out the part about the bike.
Sorry I keep bitching about it. I'm usually practical and proactive, but occasionally I get obsessed with an obvious wrong, just on principle.
Still getting at least 50 MPG running it hard, last summer on Skyline drive I got over 70 MPG at the relaxed speeds. Fine with me, the mileage really didn't change that much for me before/after mods

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #573
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,735
I just did a trip today and got 71.5 mpg. Imagine what the XT225 could do with a translucent 4.3 gallon tank! Somebody needs to make one.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #574
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,371
We thought Clarke was going to make one in 2007. That's what they told us. They never did. Now that the 225 has been replace by the 250, I imagine that they never will.

Cigar Mike
Old 02-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #575
Hi Guys
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0
The pilot screw is under the carb, behind a brass plug near the engine side (carb output). You may or may not have a plug, my wife's did not which was pretty nice. Removing it can be a bit tricky.

Basically, remove the side covers, seat, tank shrouds and tank. Loosen (quite a lot) the clamps that hold the carb (one in front, one to rear). If necessary untie the throttle/choke cable to get some slack. Rotate the carb to access the plug. Use a small drill bit and carefully drill out the plug (very careful, you don't want to mess up the pilot screw). If it doesn't pop out during drilling, insert a small sheet metal/wood screw and use that to extract it.

Once it's gone, adjusting is easy. Turn it until it just seats (stops turning, gentle you don't want to snug it down..just until it resists turning more). You may want to count how many turns it was at, I usually don't. Turn it out 2.5 turns for starters, rotate carb back..tighten clamps and put it back together.
I got the 2.5 turns out on the pilot screw done. It was set about 2.25 out before I messed with it. I noticed an increase in power right away and it runs fine. I decided to see how long it takes to run the bowl out of fuel at idle and it took 6 minutes. I can't sit on it that long so I will need to figure out how to prop it up without it falling.

I need a better understanding of where that shim goes because I can't figure out where the fuel needle is yet. Thank you.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #576
Hi Guys
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike
We thought Clarke was going to make one in 2007. That's what they told us. They never did. Now that the 225 has been replace by the 250, I imagine that they never will.

Cigar Mike
The 225 is being replaced by the 250? Right after I bought one? Well I can't afford to buy a 250 if this is it's inaugural year. I'm a bottom feeder.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:30 AM   #577
braindead0
Head Fisherman

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDVR
Wilmot would be cool. Southern Tuscawarus county, Holmes county...etc.
Thanks for offering the help. I'll probably take you up on it.
No problem, probably want to wait until things thaw out, although I am planning eventually to have a tech day, got one KLR doo-hickey to do (not mine). If you're interested in popping over for a tech day (maybe some BBQ and brews) send me a PM or email so I don't forget to let you know when it is ;-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Guys
I need a better understanding of where that shim goes because I can't figure out where the fuel needle is yet. Thank you.
That's a bit tougher to explain, if you search the net for "KLR 650 .22 mod" you should find some writeups on that. Very similar process, except at least in my case we didn't drill out the slide hole nor did we remove the snorkle.

You get at the carb needle by removing the cap on the top of the carb (4 bolts, large round fairly shallow cap). Underneath there is a rubber diaphram which is what lifts the carb slide along with a long spring. Remove the spring.

The edges of the diaphram are inside a groove on the top of the carb. Carefully remove from groove and pull out the slide assembly. Once you have that out you'll see the needle sticking out the bottom. Turn it over (carefully, don't loose anything!) and the needle will slide out along with usually a plastic piece that sits on top of the needle, the spring rests on that to hold the needle in place.

Simply add a #4 stainless washer from the pointy end of the washer. The goal here it to lift the needle up a bit. Once you have the washer on, carefully reinsert the needle (I usually do that laying on it's side so the washer doesn't fall off). Put the plastic needle holder back on top of the needle, might need to move it around a bit with a screwdrive to seat fully.

Once all that is done, it just goes back together. Generally the diaphram has a 'tab' on the lip that sits in the groove. That'll tell you which way the slide goes in (I don't remember if the XT is keyed further, it may only go in one way).

The hardest part can be getting the diaphram 'lip' to sit in the groove while you put the top on. You have to be careful that is stays in there. A little (very little) petrolium jelly in the groove will hold the lip nicely. Just put a very small amount in the groove all the way around, then put the diaphram lip in the groove, making sure it's seated all the way. Should stay without any trouble.

Put the spring back in, attach the top... tighen firmly (but not too firmly, just make sure it's good and snug).

It sounds like a lot, but it's really not. I just tried to get all the details in there.
DoD #2223
braindead0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #578
xKLR_John
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
I can't sit on it that long so I will need to figure out how to prop it up without it falling.
kickstand?
xKLR_John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #579
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR_John
kickstand?
Good one. Try shutting the gas off a half mile from home

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #580
Hi Guys
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR_John
kickstand?
I will test that. But I think it will shut off on me when I put the kickstand down.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #581
Hi Guys
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moterbiker
Good one. Try shutting the gas off a half mile from home
Good one. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #582
braindead0
Head Fisherman

Quote:
I will test that. But I think it will shut off on me when I put the kickstand down.
Shouldn't do so if you put it in neutral first.. if it does I'd think that would indicate a wiring problem of some sort.
DoD #2223
Old 02-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #583
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,371
Pretty Good explanation here. May find some helpfull information here.

http://www.angelfire.com/sports/serowpages/

click on Hard Starting

Cigar Mike
Old 02-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #584
braindead0
Head Fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike
Pretty Good explanation here. May find some helpfull information here.

http://www.angelfire.com/sports/serowpages/

click on Hard Starting

Cigar Mike
Yikes, that procedure is way more complicated than necessary. There is no need to remove the carb from the bike, and a #4 stainless washer will work without any sanding. And at least on our '07 the diaphram cover did not require any modification, the later models as I understand it have fixed this particular problem. I'm pretty sure this was noted on the xt225 forums somewhere, certainly worth checking though.

As far as the fuel, like I said, unless the bike is sitting for a long time there is no need to drain the float bowl. Long time depends on environment it's stored it, but I would think it would take a month or more for the fuel in the bowl to have gone bad. If you're leaving it stored for that long, perhaps a little fuel stabilizer in the tank is an easier plan.

Our XT has sat in an unheated garage for at least 6 weeks without any fuel stabilizer or any special handling (although I'm sure I ran a float charger on the battery for a while). Starts no problem, every time.
DoD #2223

braindead0 screwed with this post 02-18-2008 at 01:33 PM
Old 02-21-2008, 12:25 AM   #585
andoy castro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Handle bar questions

Good cheers all. I have a 2001 XT 225 Serow all OEM including rear disk brake, except for aftermarket open muffler.

I'm 5'6", 135 lbs and I'm thinking that a handle bar with more height and pull back will allow me to "lift" the bike more easily when I'm a bit off-balanced on crawl...but I'm not so sure this will be the effect.

Can I please have your opinions?

Thanks, God bless your rides.
andoy castro is offline   Reply With Quote