Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #6526
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Well, one thing leads to another, and I found what looks to be a better deal on an XT225. '07 or an '09 not sure yet, with 450 miles on her. Clarke tank, HyperPro suspension upgrades front and back, uni air filter. Plus all the stock stuff. Selling due to medical reasons. 111 miles away. Looks like this is the one for me.
Sounds great!
If it's an XT225 it will be a 2007. This was that last year before they changed to the 250, a slightly different animal. If interested go back a few pages where the differences were discussed. Both great IMO.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #6527
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
For price evaluation purposes, I bought an 06 with 200 miles off ebay for $2,300. Perfect condition in a centrally located place, Cincinnati. I would think that would be the most a 225 is worth. I was comparing this price to that of a new 250 from a local dealer, believing them to be roughly equivalent, at least for a cash payer. A new one would be better for someone who was financing. I found a real cheap new 250 price ($3,500) on Cycletrader.

2000 ST1100 ABS
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #6528
Sanders
Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer: 661
This fella is asking $2500 for the '07 with low low miles aftermarket suspension upgrades, exhaust and the tank, plus all the stock equipment.
It's in the Procurement Officers hands now. I'm lusting after it, but I'm telling her, its for her...so I'm probably doomed, but she almost never says no, I've a feeling she's going to this time. Her reasoning is 3 bikes (but hey one is the kids) and a sidecar rig already in the garage. I'll sell the Airhead to make room for this...

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #6529
alonzo
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
This fella is asking $2500 for the '07 with low low miles aftermarket suspension upgrades, exhaust and the tank, plus all the stock equipment.
It's in the Procurement Officers hands now. I'm lusting after it, but I'm telling her, its for her...so I'm probably doomed, but she almost never says no, I've a feeling she's going to this time. Her reasoning is 3 bikes (but hey one is the kids) and a sidecar rig already in the garage. I'll sell the Airhead to make room for this...
Oh, man. Don't sell the airhead!

-- alonzo

1978 BMW R80/7
2009 BMW F650GS (do you think a new BMW every 30 years is too much?)

2006 Yamaha XT225
1970 Triumph Bonneville T120R

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."
Ąsǝʞıq ʇɹıp ɟo ɟɟo ʎɐʇs pןnoɥs noʎ ǝqʎɐɯ uǝɥʇ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
alonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #6530
Captain Caution
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzo View Post
Oh, man. Don't sell the airhead!

-- alonzo

Amen to that, Alonzo!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #6531
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,841
I just picked up another Yamaha dual sport today. An 08' WR450F that's street plated. I don't know if there's a thread here for them, since they don't come factory street legal. It may not be a very good dual sport, but I'll find out soon if it works for me since I don't usually ride too far to get to the gravel & trails. One thing's for sure it's super peppy!!

Hopefully I'll get my wife riding her XT this year. I ended up putting about 2500 miles on it myself last year just to make sure the gas stayed fresh and the battery charged. I'll do it again this year if I have to, but hopefully she'll get into riding too.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #6532
hornet_sv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I just picked up another Yamaha dual sport today. An 08' WR450F that's street plated. I don't know if there's a thread here for them, since they don't come factory street legal. It may not be a very good dual sport, but I'll find out soon if it works for me since I don't usually ride too far to get to the gravel & trails. One thing's for sure it's super peppy!!

Hopefully I'll get my wife riding her XT this year. I ended up putting about 2500 miles on it myself last year just to make sure the gas stayed fresh and the battery charged. I'll do it again this year if I have to, but hopefully she'll get into riding too.
They're street legal here in Australia, as is the DRZ400e :)
hornet_sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:37 AM   #6533
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet_sv View Post
They're street legal here in Australia, as is the DRZ400e :)

They'll let you guys do anything down there. I bet the teenagers about have to kill themselves to get into any trouble!

How do you know the government loves you without all the rules & laws that tell you what you can't do? It must be terrible. Americans just can't handle that much freedom, we'd hurt ourselves. That's why we have greedy politicians taking care of us. They work for the insurance companies, to help keep us safe.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #6534
mr. matteeanne
Barned

Oddometer: 14,252
Does wifies 96' produce enuf juice to power heated grips? (Without killing battery of course)
Old 03-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #6535
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

[QUOTE=mr. matteeanne;18216709]Does wifies 96' produce enuf juice to power heated grips? (Without killing battery of course)

I don't know the answer, but your question reminded me about this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514532

which is about making DIY heated gear very inexpensively.

I'm looking forward to hearing how many watts are available. Even a little bit of heat would make a lot more days ridable. Everyone seems to really love the heated vest, jackets, and pants, but personally it's the hands and feet which suffer the most.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #6536
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
I can run my heated jacket liner on low without any problems. I never had the need or the nerve to run hotter.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #6537
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
I'll let you know...

[QUOTE=mr. matteeanne;18216709]Does wifies 96' produce enuf juice to power heated grips? (Without killing battery of course)
I just installed my Oxford heated grips, and the next time I took out the bike to ride it had a flat battery. It had enough power to turn it over a few times before the clicking began. I have a Yuasa battery, but I am unsure of how old it is. I would like to get a load test on the battery, but I do know it was pretty strong before the install. Apparently the grips on 100% power draw 36-45 watts (claimed under 4A draw). The combined wattage of the lights on the bike is about 63 (on the older bikes until 2000, where there is a 35 watt headlight), and the output of the alternator is 10A @ 5000 rpm = app. 125W. This *should* be almost enough 63+40= 103, but doesn't take into account that I ride usually somewhere around 3500-4000 RPM on the road (less alternator output), and there has to be some energy put into the ignition/spark (anyone know how much it draws?), and the fact that the battery is probably pretty damn cold to begin (and end with).
What dismayed me slightly was the fact that the grip output indicator seemed to be faulty as it showed both the 40 and 75% heat outputlights lit at the same time. I have contacted the seller, and we are dealing with the issue.
That being said, with a dead battery, and unsure of if the alternator could charge it, I headed out on my Gulf Islands trip begrudgingly in the truck (Ferrie$), but was not unhappy when it rained 1.5 inches 2 outta the three days we were over there, and snowed profusely while blowing 65 mph on the 70 mile ride up the island with the girlfriend pillion.
Maybe it happened for a reason.
Apparently March isn't quite yet road riding season here.
From what I've heard from friends, under bar wraps are super cheap, but lose a lot of heat through their ceramic resistor. Anyway, I'll keep you all posted.
woofer2609 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #6538
MasterChief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. matteeanne View Post
Does wifies 96' produce enuf juice to power heated grips? (Without killing battery of course)
I run heated grips on my 96 and occasionally have to rely on my kick starter. It does not seem to be problem when moving along on the street, gravel/dirt roads etc. it's when plodding along on trails that it has problems.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #6539
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,232
I've run Gerbings heated liner and gloves, and they do kill the battery. If I remember to pull the plug 5 miles or so before I stop, it will restart, otherwise, "click".

It will start dead with a push, so I installed the kick starter, which works great. It takes care of those times you forget to pull the plug. Also good insurance if you get caught with a low battery in a place you can't push start, like off road.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #6540
gmac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
This type of grip does not use the ceramic resister, so the power draw is not as great (so they say).

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Ride...d_grip_kit.htm

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=209426&page=2

And more than you'll ever want to know;

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/HotGripsInstallationFAQ.htm

Cheers Garry
gmac is offline   Reply With Quote