Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #6796
Sanders
Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
I have one I would part with. Send me a PM.

Mike
PM'dya

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #6797
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
PM'dya
Got it.

Mike
Old 04-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #6798
Gypsyangel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Well,dug into the exhaust today and if I had to guess, It looks like what I read the Z1 mod should look like(Hole drilled into the pipe,between the pipe and baffle about 6" in). Gotta dig into the carb next to confirm. Bike pings like crazy when lugging,so I gotta dig into the carb anyway and find what's leaning it out.

Other than that,getting ready to run part of the TAT at the end of May

"Eight and a half miles can be covered in minutes with a car on the expressway, but what does a man see? What he gains in time he loses in benefit to his body and his mind."
--Dick Proenneke

States I've ridden in:

Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
Gypsyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #6799
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyangel View Post
Well,dug into the exhaust today and if I had to guess, It looks like what I read the Z1 mod should look like(Hole drilled into the pipe,between the pipe and baffle about 6" in). Gotta dig into the carb next to confirm. Bike pings like crazy when lugging,so I gotta dig into the carb anyway and find what's leaning it out.

Other than that,getting ready to run part of the TAT at the end of May
The lean condition may be the mods, i.e. pipe hole, air box hole, etc., with no re-jetting.

Drilling's fun, doing the right thing with the carb., not so much.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #6800
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyangel View Post
While we're on the exhaust topic, Does anyone know where to pick up a stock XT225 exhaust? I found none on Ebay. Also is it true a TTR225 exhaust would fit?

Mine was drilled by the previous owner and is awesomely loud. Too awesome in fact to run forest service roads. I want to return it to stock decibel levels.
TTR225 exhaust fits. I had a XT225 for a while last year and bought an FMF TTR slip-on pipe from a local craigslist ad. Sounded good, made the little girly XT sond a bit more manly. Took the snorkel off and used a UNI filter. I think I went up a size on the main jet and adj the idle mixture. After that the Hayabusas around here didn't stand a chance.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #6801
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
The lean condition may be the mods, i.e. pipe hole, air box hole, etc., with no re-jetting.

Drilling's fun, doing the right thing with the carb., not so much.
Well, we got a bunch of jets with the bike, so I'm guessing its been rejetted, but it might not be correct.

Only reason I suddenly had concern is GypsyAngel was filming with a GoPro and it certainly sounded like the bike was pinging to me over the camera. I haven't spent more then a couple miles on the bike, so maybe I need to ride it some more and check for myself.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #6802
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Well, we got a bunch of jets with the bike, so I'm guessing its been rejetted, but it might not be correct.

Only reason I suddenly had concern is GypsyAngel was filming with a GoPro and it certainly sounded like the bike was pinging to me over the camera. I haven't spent more then a couple miles on the bike, so maybe I need to ride it some more and check for myself.
Be sure you spray some WD40,carb cleaner or similar to the rubber boot from the carb to determine if there's an intake leak. Also around the carb as the plastic covers get broken easily. Can also happen with exhaust leak.

I did the Z1 mod on my 06 XT when I had it and it sounded good. 3 turns out on the pilot jet and I was good to go. I'm at sea level and didn't have to re-jet, but did install a TPI airbox valve (lo-boy) which allowed me to go up to 8000' without any re-jetting-they claim it will cover 2-4 jet sizes just by how far you open the slide
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #6803
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 3,994
I bought an '01 XT that the previous owner had done the Z1 mod on (got him to drop the already low price $100 because of that), was going to look for a used unmolested pipe, but decided to keep what I had. It's not nearly as loud as the Harleys around here. Anyway, I found it was running to lean, and went up one size on both the main and pilot jets, and opened the pilot screw 3 turns out. Now it starts and runs perfect. Plug is just the right color, no sign of overheating. Might even be just a tiny bit too rich, but it was most likely too lean from the factory anyway, because of the F%#@&^% EPA. I have another completely stock XT, and there is NO difference in power, just noise. I always run stock filters. The AZ dust destroys engines fast enough as it is, without putting a more porous filter on it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #6804
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,296
If the main jet needs to be larger due to exhaust/intake mods (increased air) then I would submit that the power output has most likely changed, although perhaps not discernible to the user depending on how the bike is ridden. If the bike is only putting out 15HP and it gets a 5-6% increase due to exhaust/intake mods (typical) then it's only .9HP at most.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #6805
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
. I have another completely stock XT, and there is NO difference in power, just noise. I always run stock filters.
Don't you know, more noise=more power?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #6806
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

I noticed a significant difference after installing the FMF, removing the snorkel and the Uni air filter. No dyno so how much of an increase I have no idea. What I do know is the bike pulls much harder and was demonstrated on a hill that we would always cliimb on the way home from a ride. After the mods the bike was able to pull the next higher gear going up that hill. I am not saying anyone should be convinced by this. But I must say I was. Seat of the pants the bike feels snappier though out the range. I have no experience with the drill out the muffler mod.

The after market mufflers have proven out to be a good improvement on just about every bike I have ever owned. The newer off road street legal dirt bikes today have gotten a lot better and there is not as much difference as there was before. This of course excludes bikes like the XTs and XLs.

MTC anyway.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #6807
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,660
Quote:
I noticed a significant difference after installing the FMF, removing the snorkel and the Uni air filter. No dyno so how much of an increase I have no idea. What I do know is the bike pulls much harder and was demonstrated on a hill that we would always cliimb on the way home from a ride. After the mods the bike was able to pull the next higher gear going up that hill. I am not saying anyone should be convinced by this. But I must say I was. Seat of the pants the bike feels snappier though out the range. I have no experience with the drill out the muffler mod.

The after market mufflers have proven out to be a good improvement on just about every bike I have ever owned. The newer off road street legal dirt bikes today have gotten a lot better and there is not as much difference as there was before. This of course excludes bikes like the XTs and XLs.

MTC anyway.

Cheers,

Mike
I have noticed the same thing. There is a significant torque improvement. Stock, the bike can't pull or accelerate much in 6th gear, it acts more like an overdrive. With all the modifications it pulls well in 6th gear. No downshift is necessary except when going up a long steep hill on occasion. I would love to see what the webcams cam and valvespring kit would do. $500 though.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #6808
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,003
Quote:
I noticed a significant difference after installing the FMF, removing the snorkel and the Uni air filter.
Did you re-jet?
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #6809
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Did you re-jet?
I did not because we rode between 4000 and 8000 feet. Even with pipe and and UNI the bike was still fat at 10,000 feet. I had to pull the snorkel at 10,000 feet to get the bike to run at all. I now live at 6000 feet so it is good for up here. At sea level it is lean and a rejet is a good idea.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #6810
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,003
Quote:
I did not because we rode between 4000 and 8000 feet.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote