Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #6901
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Twin Duro, I don't have the TCI system, but the Moose Expedition rack system with identical lockable quick releases and similar mounting plates for the side racks. I'm using Pelican brand 1550's (huge, a little heavy, but really strong) I love the set up for overnight jaunts or commuting. The cases keep my laptop and camera equipment dry in rain. I can take the case in, or leave it locked to the bike. It's as close to an actual trunk in a car you're going to find. Don't know how much the TCI lockable plate setup is, but I'm very happy with mine. I have a non waterproof lockable metal case as well that's a little lighter and smaller I sometimes use as well.

woofer2609 screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 12:31 PM Reason: added photo
woofer2609 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #6902
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliwal View Post
Well, tried shimming the needle in conjunction with adjusting the fuel mixture, but no dice. She ran a little different each time, but nothing I did really seemed to make much of a difference. Parked her back in the shed for the night. Tomorrow I'm going to try swapping the needles from the old and new carbs. They have a very different shape and who knows.

I'm fresh out of ideas once more
Don't swap the needle. Start at stock jetting and work up from their. Put in a 125 main.
My bike was running great on a 117.5 main and had to go up to a 120 due to ethanol content. You may find the 125 main is all the rich you can handle.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #6903
BroncoDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
what should i look for?

Hello! I'm going to look at a 2001 XT225 for the first-time and wanted to know what I should be looking for. I heard about wheel bearing issues, hard starting issues, spokes... Are there any other issues with this model year that I should be concerned about? I will have more questions on jetting and performance upgrades if I buy it. thanks in advance.

I wanted to buy one of these to keep in my tank bag of my XT1200
BroncoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #6904
TTRPaul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Mods

It has been my experience to attempt one modification at a time that way if it makes it run worse you can quickly resolve the problem. If you do several mods to the carb at one time it may be tricky to determine what the problem is. That being said I would put the old carb back on (if possible) or make the aftermarket as close to stock as possible. Good Luck and keep us posted. Your misfortune now may save another rider from similar frustrations late. Thats why we are on this To help one another.
TTRPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #6905
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
Twin Duro, I don't have the TCI system, but the Moose Expedition rack system with identical lockable quick releases and similar mounting plates for the side racks. I'm using Pelican brand 1550's (huge, a little heavy, but really strong) I love the set up for overnight jaunts or commuting. The cases keep my laptop and camera equipment dry in rain. I can take the case in, or leave it locked to the bike. It's as close to an actual trunk in a car you're going to find. Don't know how much the TCI lockable plate setup is, but I'm very happy with mine. I have a non waterproof lockable metal case as well that's a little lighter and smaller I sometimes use as well.
Thanks for the info Woofer! It looks and sounds like the TCI/Moose quick-release system is a good one! I'll give the top-case quick relase system a try here in the near future and report back.
TwinDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #6906
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoDave View Post
Hello! I'm going to look at a 2001 XT225 for the first-time and wanted to know what I should be looking for. I heard about wheel bearing issues, hard starting issues, spokes... Are there any other issues with this model year that I should be concerned about? I will have more questions on jetting and performance upgrades if I buy it. thanks in advance.

I wanted to buy one of these to keep in my tank bag of my XT1200
My 2000 "sounded" weird when starting, but being my first bike I thought it was normal. It would take a few spins to "catch". The starter clutch assembly seized @ 20,030 km. This not only stranded me, but was a pain to fix. It could have been the original owner starting it in first gear. Regardless, weird noises, and starter spinning w/o catching is something to listen for in addition to issues you mentioned.

woofer2609 screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 08:07 AM Reason: added info
Old 05-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #6907
TTRPaul
Adventurer

used bike

When considering any used bike I look at chain/sprokets/adjustment, tires, wheels, spokes, handlebars, carburator. Also will it idle for 3-5 minutes, clutch adjustment/slippage. Hope this helps. I don't know any xt specific problems other than the wrong oil filter which causes seizure.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #6908
Maliwal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Wink Problem Solved!...?

Hey again folks, I'm reporting back on my '92 Serow's new carb. Installing the Tecoparts Ebay Hong-Kong knock off of the Mikuni VM-32 has been a hell of a chore, no doubt about it. I finally got it dialed in where I think it needs to be. Running a 130 main jet, 42.5 pilot jet, with one tiny shim under the needle. The thing that did it was the air flow. Even kicking the MHJ up to 145, she was still starving for fuel. This is, I'm assuming, because the float bowl is too small to refill fast enough to make full use of the larger jets. So, fuel flow is a fairly set rate provided you don't restrict the MJ too much.

Here's the kicker: Restricting the air flow was simple. All I had to do was button up the air box nice and tight (the cover was held on with 1 of 3 screws and some tape) and ta-da, she ran like a dream (after getting the jets in place)

The verdict: $110 carb (with shipping!), minus a $10 refund for a slightly damaged diaphragm cover, is a whole hell of a lot cheaper than either a used one off god-knows-what, or a new one, which must be made of gold for what they're asking for it. If you've got the time, tools, and ingenuity to modify it to fit properly, it's a damn good deal.

One note to prospective buyers: the diaphragm was covered in a white powdery gunk that seems to be an anti-condensation measure. The carb was shipped via a very moist route, so it's packed with powder to prevent moisture build-up. Clean 'er out and call it good.
Maliwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #6909
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,841
That's great that you got her running right. It's also great to know you can get an affordable replacement carb.

My daughter has a CRF150F and there's knockoff carbs for it on ebay for under $20! That's unbelieveable.

I FINALLY learned to post photos this afternoon, so here's one of my two favorite Yamahas.

GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #6910
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliwal View Post

One note to prospective buyers: the diaphragm was covered in a white powdery gunk that seems to be an anti-condensation measure. The carb was shipped via a very moist route, so it's packed with powder to prevent moisture build-up. Clean 'er out and call it good.
Good for you, now get out riding! When the time comes, lots of us will be seeking advice from you...maybe a "how to" with pics?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #6911
TTRPaul
Adventurer

carb

Good news on the carb and bike.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #6912
Maliwal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
Good for you, now get out riding! When the time comes, lots of us will be seeking advice from you...maybe a "how to" with pics?
Well, i took your advice before reading it! Blasted off into the hills on the other side of town and had an absolute ball, forded a road that decided it was a creek for about a hundred yards, picked through some baby heads (I'm new to this dirt stuff), and then limped home when my idle went berserk =D

I think some flying debris (way-overgrown powerline roads) and rocks from gravel roads must have taken their toll on the delicate touches of the bike, cause after some poking and prodding, I found that my idle adjustment screw got knocked in about half a turn, making my Serow "Idle" at arund 4,500 rpm. This new carb is incredibly touchy on the idle adjustment. 1/16th of a turn equates to several hundred RPM. I'll need to do something about that soon, maybe some LokTite or similar thread sealer.

Got a ride planned for tomorrow morning but before I can go I need to replace the crankcase cover gasket (left side) since it's puking oil now. Got a gasket, but ran out of steam tonight. I'll attack that first thing in the morning. I'd also like to replace the shift-lever oil seal, but none of the shops around here carry them. There's a Kaman Bearing not too far away, they supplied me with my Counter-shaft Sprocket Seal, so I'm sure they'll have one of these as well. Just a matter of time, running around!

As for the making of a how-to on this carb, I'll be happy to document the steps I took in installing it, but I'm afraid that I didn't take any pics during the process. Maybe I'll get a wild hair some day soon and rip it apart and document all the mods done, as there were several.
Maliwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #6913
Foamfollower
Foamy

Oddometer: 57
Cool2 2009 XT250 Tire recomendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Not sure about road noise or not, but I'm going to order a Pirelli MT-43 DOT trial tire. Lots of riders are raving about them, saying "I'll never go back to knobbies." The traction is supposed to be great, except in thick mud. I can't remember the descriptions about the street. The price is reasonable, about $65-69. I'll be mounting it on my WR450. I've been running an IRC GP1 on my XT225, which I've really liked, but the price of them has gone up a lot, so I'd get the Kenda version (the 270) or the MT-43. Folks report very high milage with the 270, but I don't know about the Pirelli's milage. I'll report back on the Pirelli after I actually have mounted & ridden one, in a month or so.

Thanks Glen... let me know about the road noise. Your right about the raves on the MT-43, I will definitely lean towards that tire..

Thanks,
Foamy
Foamfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #6914
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamfollower View Post
Thanks Glen... let me know about the road noise. Your right about the raves on the MT-43, I will definitely lean towards that tire..

Thanks,
Foamy
Road noise is a non issue, never noticed any difference whatsoever
You'll need a longer chain though, I can't remember how many more links? and its still a tight fit between the front of the tire and the swingarm,
did approx 450 miles in Death Valley March/April about 150 - 175 was pavement
talked to a few people that have tried all of the different brands of Trials tires and they said the Pirelli MT 43 is the one to get ( in their opinion) for best performance and high milage
so I got it and LOVE it
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #6915
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,542
Well, the Festival of Fark continues on Sally. Sally was recently purchased from inmate Devo2002 to keep inmate Barbsironbutt from murdering her street bikes.

I was looking for reasonably-priced hand guards, and came up with a real score. Motorcycle Superstore is blowing out their Polisport inventory. I found their guards with the 22mm mount kit (which is equal to 7/8" -.008"). They mount right up on Renthal and Vortex bars. The best thing is that they were under $15 with the mount kit, and are really nice, stout quality. The mount kit is more complete than any I've seen.

Superstore also has Magura and Protaper mount kits.

Unfortunately, Devs had reduced Sally's turn signals to graham crackers. I've been under the fender dripping solder on my fingers. I thought this was necessary when two of the four began flopping on a short test ride. The rest weren't far behind. I'm replacing them all with K&S DOT signals. The K&S were more expensive than the ones that come out of the gumball machines, but are of notably superior quality. If you have to go Asian, pick Taiwan over China every time.

And finally, I mounted a 1 gallon Rotopax on the tail. Now Ms. Sally has some legs.

I'm told these are going on:
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote