Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #6916
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
Road noise is a non issue, never noticed any difference whatsoever
You'll need a longer chain though, I can't remember how many more links? and its still a tight fit between the front of the tire and the swingarm,
did approx 450 miles in Death Valley March/April about 150 - 175 was pavement
talked to a few people that have tried all of the different brands of Trials tires and they said the Pirelli MT 43 is the one to get ( in their opinion) for best performance and high milage
so I got it and LOVE it
In my opinion the MT43 is too tall and heavy for an XT225. I see that your bike is heavily loaded so I'm sure you don't notice the extra weight. I use the Michelin which is noticeably smaller diameter and lighter. I've not kept mileage records but I think I get similar mileage from both tires, the Michelin wears more evenly and gives better traction near the end of life. The MT43 wears unevenly and gets replaced when the knobs are still substantially tall. The Michelin performs amazingly well until the knobs are virtually gone. Both tires are quiet.

lamotovita screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 10:17 AM
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #6917
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,528
If someone has some figures handy, how much does an aftermarket can weigh vs the OEM?
Old 05-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #6918
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,993
The Pirelli MT-43 will be going on the WR450, after it's finished eating the Dunlop 756. Too many street miles here.

The XT225 has been very happy wearing IRC GP-1's front & rear. I didn't realize that the MT-43 is a "big" tire, it only comes in a 18-4.00 size. Good to hear that the XT225 would need a longer chain for it. Also good to hear that it is too heavy for the XT225, that is important info to me. I had a DRZ400S last year and mounted Dunlop 606 DOT knobbies on it, and found that they were much heavier than the GP-1's which had been on it. The extra tire weight was really noticable, and the bike lost a good bit of acceleration & top speed (but that may have been a speedo calibration thing, since the tire diameter was slightly larger).

After experiencing that with the DRZ400 I would be very careful about tire weight when buying tires for the XT225. It's a wonderful bike, but doesn't have any power to waste. To remain the fun zippy bike that it is light tires are important.

I have been very happy with the GP-1's on it, but I have used it on rides which require a lot of uphill traction in mud or rocks. If I were riding it for that, I would probably lower the gearing a bit and mount a grippier type tire, knowing I would be giving up a good bit of zip & fuel economy. I know the XT225 "can do almost anything", but I bought the WR450 for the really roughty stuff.

(The price of the GP-1's has gone up a lot since I bought them, so I would look at the options before buying another pair.)
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #6919
Foamfollower
Foamy

Oddometer: 57
2009 XT250 Tire recomendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
You'll need a longer chain though,

Thanks Airborndad

Anybody have any comments about a possible chain lengthening needed on the "XT250" for the Pirelli MT-43?

Foamfollower screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 06:08 PM
Foamfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #6920
BroncoDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,489
Just picked these up yesterday. 2001's, less than 500 miles but haven't run in a few years. I am looking for a few stock parts.... 1 rear turn signal, complete speedo cluster, possibly gas tanks as they are severly rusted inside so not sure if I'm better off replacing them if I can find cheap enough. Also need right side battery cover. If anyone would be interested in buying these 2.... let me know.. not sure if I'm going to repair or sell...depends on parts... if anyone can tell me a good place to get parts for these, it would be greatly appreciated.
BroncoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #6921
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,993
[QUOTE=Canuman;18617579]Well, the Festival of Fark continues on Sally. Sally was recently purchased from inmate Devo2002 to keep inmate Barbsironbutt from murdering her street bikes.

I was looking for reasonably-priced hand guards, and came up with a real score. Motorcycle Superstore is blowing out their Polisport inventory. I found their guards with the 22mm mount kit (which is equal to 7/8" -.008"). They mount right up on Renthal and Vortex bars. The best thing is that they were under $15 with the mount kit, and are really nice, stout quality. The mount kit is more complete than any I've seen.

Superstore also has Magura and Protaper mount kits.

Canuman,
That's a steal on the guards. They look really nice. I'll have to see if they still have them for $15. Thanks for letting us know about them.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #6922
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoDave View Post
Just picked these up yesterday. 2001's, less than 500 miles but haven't run in a few years. I am looking for a few stock parts.... 1 rear turn signal, complete speedo cluster, possibly gas tanks as they are severly rusted inside so not sure if I'm better off replacing them if I can find cheap enough. Also need right side battery cover. If anyone would be interested in buying these 2.... let me know.. not sure if I'm going to repair or sell...depends on parts... if anyone can tell me a good place to get parts for these, it would be greatly appreciated.
Ebay is great for xt parts. Replace the tanks withplastic tanks from Clarke mfg.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #6923
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Those look nice. I have an '01 I bought with 3,000 miles on it. Use it mostly for street riding. I have a '94 for dirt. It has the Clarke 4 gallon tank on it, and it's great, but does not look stock, if that matters. If the rust has not actually weakened the metal, there are a number of chemicals that can remove it. I use full strength muriatic acid, but there are safer, and more expensive alternatives, like Rusteco. You should be able to find the rest of the parts on eBay, and if you need small parts like grommets, etc, you can either get them from a dealer or a place like cheapcycleparts.com.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #6924
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,614
[QUOTE=GlennR;18621250]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Well, the Festival of Fark continues on Sally. Sally was recently purchased from inmate Devo2002 to keep inmate Barbsironbutt from murdering her street bikes.

I was looking for reasonably-priced hand guards, and came up with a real score. Motorcycle Superstore is blowing out their Polisport inventory. I found their guards with the 22mm mount kit (which is equal to 7/8" -.008"). They mount right up on Renthal and Vortex bars. The best thing is that they were under $15 with the mount kit, and are really nice, stout quality. The mount kit is more complete than any I've seen.

Superstore also has Magura and Protaper mount kits.

Canuman,
That's a steal on the guards. They look really nice. I'll have to see if they still have them for $15. Thanks for letting us know about them.
If you can't find them, I put six pair into inventory. I can't ship as cheap as MC superstore, but close. I'm strictly not-for-profit.

HOBOS = Helping Our Brothers Out
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #6925
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,370
Quote:
.... Motorcycle Superstore is blowing out their Polisport inventory. ...under $15 with the mount
Quote:
kit ...

I assume you ordered this ....?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/192/39297/ITEM/Polisport-Shield-Handguards.aspx

And this?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/192/39298/ITEM/Polisport-Shield-Handguard-Mount-Kit.aspx

However your handguard covers are blue & I donít see any blue ones in the first link. I also donít see any screws going into the plastic covers on yours as they show.

These just look to be the plastic covers. Surely you didnít order these?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/192/39272/ITEM/Polisport-Defender-Handguard.aspx

Before I try to order two sets, exactly what did you order?
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #6926
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Your post has so much font and color crap in it it shuts down when I try to reply.

Get whatever color is available, unless you like to take videos of yourself as you ride.

Black's gone. I got the last of them. No more blue

If you want to run these without the plastics, do it. The metal hand guard without the plastics is worth the full price. It's the Schnizzle.

Jah Don't See No Color.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #6927
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,370
Quote:
Your post has so much font and color crap in it it shuts down when I try to reply.
WTF? I assume you are talking about my post. Looks normal here on two different browsers even if I try to edit it or quote it.
Quote:
If you can't find them, I put six pair into inventory. I can't ship as cheap as MC superstore, but close.
You must have posted this while i was writing & looking at the other site.
I just ordered two sets, hope I picked the right things.
This...
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...andguards.aspx
And this ...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Mount-Kit.aspx
Look right to you?
Yeah, only colors shown were red, silver, or yellow. Went with the silver for the 2005 XT225
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #6928
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by justacommuternow View Post
I've not kept up with this thread, but just had an experience I thought I'd put out there...

The oil drain plug was seized (I tightened to torque spec last time) and the head of the bolt stripped off. Frustrating. After the head was rounded and the socket just spun, I used both vice grips and a pipe wrench, but the metal just shaved off, seemed incredibly soft.

I packed a 1/2" size socket with JB Weld and secured it up against the rounded bolt head by using a bottle jack from below, although, I suppose duct tape might work too. I left it for a couple of days until I could get back to the project and the seized bolt just spun right off as if it were in butter.

btw, the Yamaha dealer didn't seem surprised that I had seized oil drain plug and they had a replacement bolt in stock. They wanted about $100 (and the hassle of transporting the bike over there) to weld something on to the bolt to remove it.

Instead, the JB Weld worked great!

Also, the next time I do this, I think I'll try to initially loosen the bolt with the crankcase stone cold. I know the manual says warm the engine first, but on loosening the bolt just now, it didn't seem as tight as what I fought with the other day (when everything was hot.) I don't know, just a thought. Maybe the PB penetrator just had more time to work, I don't know. But if the aluminum crankcase expanded from the heat, that means the circumference of the bolt hole would be just a little bit tighter. No?
I ran into this when I purchased mine, prev. owner had prob. tightened to spec, which is way too high for the pot metal the cover is made from. Destroyed the attached bolt head trying to remove it.

When I called the Yamaha dealer about it, he said it was common, and recommended I follow the procedure the shop uses. It is to gently tap the outer edge of the oil cover with a chisel in the direction of removal. The metal was soft enough that the chisel bit right in and immediately turned it open.

After all my struggles with sockets, vise grips, etc., I was amazed how easily the chisel method worked.

I now have anti seize compound on the threads of the new one, and limit the tightening force.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #6929
Gypsyangel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:

Get whatever color is available, unless you like to take videos of yourself as you ride.

Black's gone. I got the last of them. No more blue

If you want to run these without the plastics, do it. The metal hand guard without the plastics is worth the full price. It's the Schnizzle.

Jah Don't See No Color.
From the one review on their site:
"Honda Foreman 450 es atv

For something so easy to install, These were a bit of a pain. I had some hardware missing too. I also did not like the bushings they used to fit different handle bars. Now installed I find they move a little once in a while, but not too bad. They look cool and were a great price. They keep the cold air and branches from getting to my hands!!!"

Do yours move at all,or are they pretty solid?

"Eight and a half miles can be covered in minutes with a car on the expressway, but what does a man see? What he gains in time he loses in benefit to his body and his mind."
--Dick Proenneke

States I've ridden in:

Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
Gypsyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #6930
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
WTF? I assume you are talking about my post. Looks normal here on two different browsers even if I try to edit it or quote it.
You must have posted this while i was writing & looking at the other site.
I just ordered two sets, hope I picked the right things.
This...
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...andguards.aspx
And this ...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Mount-Kit.aspx
Look right to you?
Yeah, only colors shown were red, silver, or yellow. Went with the silver for the 2005 XT225
Yep. That's the Shnizzle. The vinyl tubing they send to shim the end pieces is way too thick with aluminum bars. I used a few wraps of gorilla tape and they hold nice and tight.