Old 05-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #6976
Foamfollower
Foamy

Oddometer: 57
22mm Mount Kit for Polisport

[QUOTE=Canuman;18621606]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post

If you can't find them, I put six pair into inventory. I can't ship as cheap as MC superstore, but close. I'm strictly not-for-profit.

HOBOS = Helping Our Brothers Out
Canuman,

I bought the Polisport Guards but I got the wrong Mounting kit (magura), Would you be inclined to sell me a 22MM Mount Kit? Also, I'll send you the Magura Gratis as I have no use for them. PM me if you like, Price + Shipping.

I'll PM This message as well.. Thanks you ... Thanks

Thanks,
Foamy
Foamfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #6977
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamfollower View Post
Canuman, ...Would you be inclined to sell me a 22MM Mount Kit? Also, I'll send you the Magura Gratis as I have no use for them. PM me if you like, Price + Shipping.
Im sort of in the same boat. I ordered sets for two bikes but they ran out of the 22mm mounting kits & so I only got one mounting kit. There are no more of them.
I wanted to put these on stock bars but the bar end inserts are way too small so Im not sure what Im gonna do there.
I assumed that Canuman mounted his on stock bars with an inside diameter of ~11/16. Im not so sure of that now as I see he mentioned two different aftermarket sets of barrs.

Foamfollower, do the clamps you got fit over a stock 7/8 o.d. bar or are they the larger size that fit the aluminum bars? Im guessing they are the larger ones.

Im still going to need a mount set too, but I kinda doubt that Canuman is gonna want to let go of another of the 22mm set. ??
Canuman, what you say? Maybe some sort of swap could be made if somebody needs a different mount size.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #6978
Foamfollower
Foamy

22mm Mount Kit for Polisport

[QUOTE=Tom S;18724909
Foamfollower, do the clamps you got fit over a stock 7/8 o.d. bar or are they the larger size that fit the aluminum bars? Im guessing they are the larger ones.
[/QUOTE]

Tom,
You are correct, They were way to large (magura Mount Kit) for my 2009 XT250 Stock Bars. I thought magura would fit as it was listed as 22MM and up, but I was wrong, just too large (the Clamps.). As I did not go any further, I don't know any more about fitment. Canuman mentioned that the inserts need a bit of shimming for a HOLD TIGHT effect, I think he mentioned Gorilla Tape as using metal to metal would slip (That makes sense).

Thanks,
Foamy
Old 05-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #6979
TTRPaul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
bar ends

I use vinyl tubing from the hardware store. It works great and very inexpensive.
TTRPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #6980
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamfollower View Post
Tom, You are correct, They were way to large ....
Canuman mentioned that the inserts need a bit of shimming for a HOLD TIGHT effect, I think he mentioned Gorilla Tape as using metal to metal would slip (That makes sense).
Foamy, in you situation I think Id try shimming those big clamps down. Id try a couple of 7/8 Adel clamps with the excess tabs cut off. I got some at an aircraft supply store but Ive seen them at a True Value hardware store too.

Adel clamp ....

Yeah, I saw that about the metal not holding. I know that the slash cut metal insets do hold real tight. But the ones we got are too small & dont even seem to expand at all. Hard to see how they would work even in a small i.d. aluminum bar.

TTRPaul, they give you a couple lengths of vinyl tubing with this kit.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #6981
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Foamy, in you situation I think Id try shimming those big clamps down. Id try a couple of 7/8 Adel clamps with the excess tabs cut off. I got some at an aircraft supply store but Ive seen them at a True Value hardware store too.

Adel clamp ....

Yeah, I saw that about the metal not holding. I know that the slash cut metal insets do hold real tight. But the ones we got are too small & dont even seem to expand at all. Hard to see how they would work even in a small i.d. aluminum bar.

TTRPaul, they give you a couple lengths of vinyl tubing with this kit.

You can find those clamps at better marine supply stores and of course at McMaster-Carr.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #6982
Foamfollower
Foamy

Adel Clamps

[QUOTE=Tom S;18730709]Foamy, in you situation I think Id try shimming those big clamps down. Id try a couple of 7/8 Adel clamps with the excess tabs cut off. I got some at an aircraft supply store but Ive seen them at a True Value hardware store too.

Adel clamp ....

I'll remember those Adel clamps, they look like I could use them for a couple of the Skid Plates I have looked at that had fasteners that I thought might nick at the frame.. They look sturdy enough..

Thanks
Foamy
Old 05-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #6983
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,634
My wife has managed to burn her nylon jacket sleeve, and the inner knee area of her nylon riding pants, on the header of the XT

Anyone else have issues with this? Thinking of trying some exhaust wrap...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #6984
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
My wife has managed to burn her nylon jacket sleeve, and the inner knee area of her nylon riding pants, on the header of the XT

Anyone else have issues with this? Thinking of trying some exhaust wrap...
Not sure how this happens, but a fair amount of people I know have burned the inside of their left pant leg on XT's.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #6985
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Not sure how this happens, but a fair amount of people I know have burned the inside of their left pant leg on XT's.
Egg-zach-urry.

Weird, because the pipe goes forward and then to the right

I think it happened in our case when the bike went over on its right side, and she was stuck straddling it for a bit until I could do my Mighty Mouse impersonation and lift it off her...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #6986
redninja
Will ride 4 scenery

Oddometer: 398
Laugh

Mr. redninja's burned pants; inside of left leg. Caused by a slow-speed tip-over to the right side.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #6987
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,804
That's the bad thing about synthetics....they melt.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #6988
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by redninja View Post

Mr. redninja's burned pants; inside of left leg. Caused by a slow-speed tip-over to the right side.
Bummer about burner riding pants. I hope the leg escaped injury. I have 3rd degree scar tissue left by the head pipe of my XT600 from a tipover 22 years ago.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #6989
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
[QUOTE=Foamfollower;18721802]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post

Canuman,

I bought the Polisport Guards but I got the wrong Mounting kit (magura), Would you be inclined to sell me a 22MM Mount Kit? Also, I'll send you the Magura Gratis as I have no use for them. PM me if you like, Price + Shipping.

I'll PM This message as well.. Thanks you ... Thanks

Thanks,
Foamy
Not the cheapest route but since the stock bars were bent anyways I bought an aluminum bar locally with the clamp-on cross brace, I re-used the clamps from the cross brace to secure the inner end of the hand guards. You might ask your local shop if they have a damaged 22mm bar with the clamp-on cross brace and get the clamps from that.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #6990
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,413
Hi All,

I've come across a '96 XT225 that has just over 3K miles on it. It appears to have been adult owned/operated for its entire life. I've been reading thru the posts but have never come across "known issues" or "what to look for when buying a used XT" posts. This example appears to be bone stock (it has bark-busters but that appears to be it, farkle-wise). I plan to use the bike mainly for commuting and occasional dirt/gravel roads.

Does the XT have any inherent issues/weaknesses that I should look for?

Aside from graphics and paint colors are all XT225s the same?

TIA

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote