Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #7081
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
ER70,
Good explaination about the bolts. It's hard to believe that they can be so complicated.

Quote:
Woofer,
I wonder why your bolts keep breaking and or stripping so easily? Cover bolts shouldn't need to be especially strong, especially considering that they're going into aluminum. I wonder if your torque wrench is faulty, or if your bolts have been previously abused, or something.
I use a 1/4" drive ratchet and use it on most 6mm bolts.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #7082
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Looks like a lot of good riding. I was hoping it was a bit closer to me, but VA has a lot of mountains. I'm looking forward to seeing the videos. You guys had the perfect size group.

What's the zip-tie deal with the tire? Looks like a "mounting trick" or something.
Tire mounting trick, seemed to work.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #7083
deodom
Old Racer

Oddometer: 87
Stripped 6mm bolts

An old trick we used to do to our bikes in the early '70's when we stripped out the aluminum or steel threads was to retap the 6mm hole to a standard 1/4" thread, and use a 1/4" american bolt, which has a head that an 11mm wrench will fit, and carried both wrenches in our trail tool kit. The 1/4" is just a little larger, and usually had enough meat in the hole to allow the new threads to be just fine.
May not work for you, but saved me a lot of grief with stripped bolts on the early YZ 250's, where the threads seemed to be made of the softest material I have ever seen.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #7084
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlclaflin View Post
Thank you, i will get reading and hope to have some luck in making my bike a better ride. so far it's been fun, riding around the neighborhood. i just completed the Idaho Star motorcycle education/skills class, and going to take my written test at the dmv thursdays...hopefully i'll pass. can't wait to get on the road/ off-road and have some fun.
got me a spanner wrench... rear suspension feels much better. gonna play around with that more.
now the front suspension....is air/ hydraulic mix. has anyone have any experience with adding air to the front? I tried to hookup my tire pump(hand pump), but the steam does not extend enough to attach the valve connection of the pump. so some sort of home made connection or special connector needs to be attached to the forks to add air.
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #7085
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!
I admit I did think about the metric to 1/4" thing, especially with how hard it is to find metric bolts here. (Apparently Canada is metric, someone should tell the hardware stores.) I may sell the bike soon, so did not want to err, "customize" it too much!
Bike is back together, not leaking oil, and running great, but some observations:
I used a labelled egg carton to store bolts to make sure the right bolts went in the right holes, and used a vernier to measure hole depth to double check before putting them back in.
Even, so the bolts should be replaced, I feel, when putting the crankcase cover back on.
I cleaned out the threads in the crankcase with a bottoming tap and blew them out with compressed air, but the bolts I reused seemed to bind or just feel kinda "sticky", and although they torqued correctly, (torque wrench is new, and came calibrated, so I'm pretty sure it's OK, it felt about right) they just didn't "feel" right, like they were about to snap off.
Examining the bolts later, some did seem to have a whitish chalky covering on them. Maybe from heating and cooling so often in the past 13 years they got brittle due to location? Maybe they stretch and contract and that weakens them? IDK, but the new bolts just felt different. I've never run into this with cars. Thoughts?
I was originally going to use threaded rod to create studs for each one of the 12 bolts, and use an acorn nut to cap them. but didn't have time, so only put one on the filter cover, and replaced the bolts that were givin' me trouble with allen head bolts. Much better than JIS phillips IMO. At a later point this may happen. quite likely won't, either. Maybe if it snows?
I am not sure if all the bolt holes are big enough for an M8, the larger oil filter screw has enough meat.
Now that it's back together properly, I'm going to leave it. For a long time
Have a great weekend everybody!
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #7086
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
got me a spanner wrench... rear suspension feels much better. gonna play around with that more.
now the front suspension....is air/ hydraulic mix. has anyone have any experience with adding air to the front? I tried to hookup my tire pump(hand pump), but the steam does not extend enough to attach the valve connection of the pump. so some sort of home made connection or special connector needs to be attached to the forks to add air.
The best system I've seen is to have one schrader valve for your pump end connected by clear plastic tubing to an aquarium "T" fitting where each end of the "T" is then connected to schrader valves threaded onto the forks air valves. This applies equal pressure to each leg. Max. rec. pressure is 7lbs IIRC
Old 06-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #7087
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,255
Hey guys. My 05 is starting to bog a little off idle every now and then, and when it's doing it, fuel will pour from the overflow. I'm trying to see if I'm going to have to remove it to clean the whole thing, set the float level, or what. Keep in mind some times it will run flawlessly for hours with no issues, and the act up all the sudden. I've searched Google a little, but I'm hoping I can get some XT specific help.

Thanks, Jonathan
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #7088
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
Hey guys. My 05 is starting to bog a little off idle every now and then, and when it's doing it, fuel will pour from the overflow. I'm trying to see if I'm going to have to remove it to clean the whole thing, set the float level, or what. Keep in mind some times it will run flawlessly for hours with no issues, and the act up all the sudden. I've searched Google a little, but I'm hoping I can get some XT specific help.

Thanks, Jonathan
Replace the float valve.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #7089
Maliwal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post

Thanks, Jonathan
Check to see if the float is set properly. The little metering rod (the point where the float attaches to the needle) could be slightly bent, causing the little ridges of the float connecting bar to catch in the gap on occasion. Mine was bent just ever so slightly out of square, though it's z-axis was dead on. If it's not that, check for smooth movement of the needle in its passage. The needle doesn't stay perfectly aligned, it'll wiggle around during use, and one of its ridges may catch on a bit of varnish or something. To check, detach it from the float and spin it around, slide it up and down, etc.

Hope that helps,
Maliwal
Maliwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #7090
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,006
I just discovered this "Online Motorcycle Repair Course" that has a lot of good info, manuals, links, advice, etc. about fixing bikes. Best thing, it's free.

http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #7091
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
front shocks

howdy, i have 1994 xt225 serow, with air/ hydraulic front shocks. does any one know how much air(max psi) they can hold?
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #7092
joe band
n00b

Oddometer: 3
xt225 tank

hi,
i'm looking for anyone in california that has an oem steel tank for sale. i'm looking for a california bike so it has the carbon emission canister port.

anyone out there that put on a clarke tank with their steel one taking up space?

thanks,
joe band
joe band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #7093
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
The best system I've seen is to have one schrader valve for your pump end connected by clear plastic tubing to an aquarium "T" fitting where each end of the "T" is then connected to schrader valves threaded onto the forks air valves. This applies equal pressure to each leg. Max. rec. pressure is 7lbs IIRC
Old 06-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #7094
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
howdy, i have 1994 xt225 serow, with air/ hydraulic front shocks. does any one know how much air(max psi) they can hold?
As I recall, the manual said 5psi max.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #7095
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

I recalled incorrectly...

air pressure is max 5.7 psi for the XT225D model year (early 90's)
Your recollection is better than mine, lamotovita