Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #7246
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth View Post
Airborndad,

Thanks for a most productive morning. Nice seeing such a thoughtfully-farkled XT, as well.

Oh, and don't leave your hitch mount carrier parked on the street overnight. That thing's a rockin' smart piece, as well..

I'm still in need of access to a TR225 and a TTR230. Any takers?
No worry's
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #7247
Maliwal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
I thought you sold that maybe it was someone else I was thinking of

I probably won't be able to do much riding this year but we should get together and do some riding near Cajon
working way too much now, April looks like when I be able to hit the trails hard again if anything comes up before then I'll PM you

ANYWAYS
Just got back from meeting with Lizrdbrth, cool dude, with a really high quality adapter and Bulletproof cooler
adapter is perfect
the cooler is perfect for the TW but needs to be repositioned slightly to work on the XT which is why he needed to look at my bike to verify fit
turns out motor angle, frame and exhaust is JUST slightly different between the 2 bikes and the XT also has those air deflectors on the gas tank so now he knows what (very minor changes) he needs to do to make it work for both bikes

you already saw the adapter but

check out how nice this is

Most definitely, I'd be up for that. I haven't ridden much in the last couple of months; just been too busy, and the XT is parked at a friend's house and is in serious need of some mechanical attention. Once time (and money!) open up, I'll be sure to beat the snot out of it again as often as possible Just let me know if a day opens up, but remember, I'm still new to this stuff, and I fart along slow.

Damn, that really is nice Once he gets it figured out I may just have to pick one up.
Maliwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #7248
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliwal View Post
No problem, just be aware that it'll need some work to get everything to function properly. The throttle cable will need some work to get it to attach properly, I ended up building a cover plate and bracket over the area it connects to, and played with jets for a while. One advantage, however: I can leave fuel in the float bowl for extended periods of time and she still fires right up. Just last night I fired it up for the first time in about a month, never drained the carb. With full choke (which also may need some modification, depending on your existing choke set-up), she fired right away.

If you need pointers, just ask. I can probably even be convinced to drag the poor beast back out and take a few pictures if you need to see what I'm talkin about.

Cheers and GL
What?

I only bought the replacement air valve cover plastic bit. It should just be a bolt on and go situation.

Am I missing something?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #7249
Maliwal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
What?

I only bought the replacement air valve cover plastic bit. It should just be a bolt on and go situation.

Am I missing something?
Whoops, nevermind Ignore me, I'm running low on sleep and, apparently, attention.
Maliwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #7250
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,737
[QUOTE=GlennR;19182321]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
Wow. Great job. This mod is fantastic. How fantastic? I have an oil cooler mounted on my XT225 and I was stuck in a 2+ hour traffic jam where traffic was moving just enough that I couldn't shut the engine down and paddle with my feet. The engine never got too hot. It was happy as a pig in poop. Try that with a 600cc single. NO WAY!]

That's great.

But you should'a gone into "off-road mode" and kept on zipping along !!
There were traffic cops every half mile just sitting and waiting for people to jump out and lane split. Sadly, I had to just barely roll along for 2+hours. Pan American highway 85 going north into Monterrey on FRIDAY afternoon is a baaad idea.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #7251
TTRPaul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
@nuggets, I replaced the plastic cover on my TTR and it was pretty easy. I did a write up of it but I don't know how to find it.
TTRPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #7252
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRPaul View Post
@nuggets, I replaced the plastic cover on my TTR and it was pretty easy. I did a write up of it but I don't know how to find it.
No worries, I got the old one on and off no problem.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:19 AM   #7253
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,198
Quote:
I did a write up of it but I don't know how to find it.
Not on ADV. You only have 17 posts here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/searc...rchid=17661876

Nuggets, you get the new one?
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #7254
TTRPaul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I found it at #6745 under my old sign in.
TTRPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #7255
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
I found it at #6745 under my old sign in.
#6745 LINKED
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #7256
freewheeler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Project Finished ... And ... Throughly TESTED ...

Well ... I can honestly say my XT project is finished ... and throughly tested ... The last phase of my project was to lengthen the swing arm 3 inches ... as the stock wheel base was to short for the additional power the bike was putting out ... that coupled with the long travel suspension ... made the front end untrust worthy when climbing hills and riding aggressively ... I chose 3" for two reasons ... First ... is that is as long as I could go with out modifying the sub frame ( as it is I had to tweak it upward about 3/8 inch so at total suspension collapse the tire wouldn't touch ) the second reason for 3 inch's is that all the 250 mx bikes were in the 57-58 inch wheel base range ( no sense reinventing the wheel ) ... I landed at 57 1/2 inches. What I did was buy a ttr 225 swing arm on ebay for $25.00. I then cut both swingarms apart in such away as to only have one weld joint when rewelding ... By lengthening the swingarm I gained 2 1/2 inches of suspension travel ( 12.5 inches ) which required a heavier spring ... more shock dampening ... longer chain and brake rod ... I gotta tell ya ... The bike now has exceeded my expectations ... I just got back from Colorado ... I took my Versys and the XT ... I rode the Versys over 1000 miles while I was out there ... and I exceeded that mileage riding the XT ... My home base for the 3 weeks that I was there was Pagosa Springs .. Every time the I took the XT out ... my daily mileage was always over 100 ... One day I did over 200 ... I did Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass, Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass, and Corkscrew Gultch ... ALL IN ONE DAY ... Actually 9 hours ... with plenty of time to take photos and kabitz with fellow travelers on my route ... I started at the Black Bear trail Head ... went to Telluride ... Telluride to Ouray ... via Imogene Pass ... Then on to Engineer Pass to Lake City ... Lake City to Silverton via Cinnamon Pass ... And then Corkscrew Gultch paralleling RT 550 back up to the Black Bear pass trail head ... 131 miles of pure giggles ... I'm so happy I took this bike instead of my DRZ475 ... What I lost in power ... I more than made up for in light weight and flick-ability ... No death grip through the rock gardens ... No getting tossed around and getting manhandled by the extra 50 pounds a larger bike would have offered me ... The whole ride was nothing short of pure pleasure ... After that ride I decided to get cocky ... So a few days later I went to Moab and did the White Rim Trail ... 135 miles round trip ... 7 1/2 hours ... 100 degrees all day ... all by myself ... I'm not braggin ... Just proud of my self for the accomplishment ... keeping mind ... I had my 60th birthday in April ... and last December 19th had my SECOND total hip replace met installed ... needless to say the Doc's did a great job on me and extended my life style for a few more years ... for those interested ... attached is a link to my photobucket ...

For more photo viewing ... go to this link

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...lorado%202012/
freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #7257
Splatman
ADVrider wannabe

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeler View Post
Well ... I can honestly say my XT project is finished ... and throughly tested ...
Very nicely done.. .. Since you did all that work..

You should (could) have added a rear disc brake to make it just that little bit nicer..
Splatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #7258
freewheeler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman View Post
Very nicely done.. .. Since you did all that work..

You should (could) have added a rear disc brake to make it just that little bit nicer..
I considered it ... all the disc brake hubs I weighed were heavier than the rear XT hub assy ... and I really have no complaints on the rear brakes ... Besides we all know the front does all the stopping ... the rear brake is just to keep the rear wheel from passing the front ...!!!

freewheeler screwed with this post 07-27-2012 at 06:32 AM
freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #7259
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
larger fuel tank for a 1994 xt225

anyone know where to buy a larger fuel tank for my bike. i can't believe Yamaha is so stupid for putting on such a small fuel tank!!!:boom
i can get only 100-110 miles before i have switch over to my reserve tank. what were they thinking/ or where they!
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #7260
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlclaflin View Post
anyone know where to buy a larger fuel tank for my bike. i can't believe Yamaha is so stupid for putting on such a small fuel tank!!!:boom
i can get only 100-110 miles before i have switch over to my reserve tank. what were they thinking/ or where they!
Clarke Manufacturing?