ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #7351
OldGypsy
FoolForDirt
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Patagonia, AZ - great area for Dual Sports
Oddometer: 114
xt225.com

Try: scott@enduco.com
__________________
Rich in Patagonia
67? YM-1, 02 FZ1, 09 KLX250
Old Coots On The GDR - http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthrea...399#Post102399
OldGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #7352
Chuffa
TR650 Terra
 
Chuffa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Perth, West Australia
Oddometer: 145
The 1st email you get from xt225.com let's you know that you have permission to post an initial message about yourself etc so that Muniac can see you are legit. That 1st email does say that you've got access - but its only partial at that stage.

After a day or so, Muniac will then post on your welcome thread that he has granted full member access.
If you still have problems after that, then send Muniac an email for sure.
Chuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #7353
Chuffa
TR650 Terra
 
Chuffa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Perth, West Australia
Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
I have been commuting on my Mom's bike
That's some impressive wheelie's on an XT225 Wilder . Thanks for posting the video's - good stuff.
Chuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #7354
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker
 
kewlbyme's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Woodstock, GA
Oddometer: 228
Sometimes, being lucky is as good as being.....Good.

The d2 moto pegs that wouldn't fit the xt, fit right up on the wee. Proper pegs for the wee were on my list anyway so, there you go. The $15 was not wasted after all.







So again, thanks for the d2moto Dr peg referral!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
__________________
2001 XT225
2003 XT225
2005 DL650 - Sold
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #7355
Wilder
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Wilder's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Duvall, Wa
Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Wilder,
Welcome to ADVrider. You're getting some great wheelies in that first video. Where do you ride? It's a really pretty place that has great trails. Reminds me of the coastal southeast, but could easily be in the nothwest...

I'm a closet XT225 rider too. I have an 08 WR450, but find myself riding my wife's 225 just as often, It's an impressive little bike that "can hang".
Yup, it is the Northwest, I love it here. I live in Duvall and we rode from there to Goldbar and back, hopping on some powerline and outlaw trails I know along the way.

The XT's no hot rod but it's non stop smiles whenever I'm on it.
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #7356
Wilder
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Wilder's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Duvall, Wa
Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuffa View Post
That's some impressive wheelie's on an XT225 Wilder . Thanks for posting the video's - good stuff.
Thanks! My mother has her bikes stored at my place currently so flogging the XT is just a storage fee. That thing is a wheelie machine!
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #7357
Wilder
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Wilder's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Duvall, Wa
Oddometer: 184
Cool2 Fuel filter needed I guess. tired of pushing.

So the XT I'm riding is almost completely stock and its never given me a bit of problems until two weeks ago. Since then I've gotten stranded twice. Luckily one was at work so no biggie but the other (first time) I was in the woods and was missing a couple tools needed to get to the jets (I had a pretty good idea what was wrong with it)

Anyways, I'm gonna be out in the garage cleaning the carb now.

I guess I'll order a fuel filter but just wondering why this happens? is it because of the metal tanks are prone to rusting? Only other bike I've had that did this was a Gas Gas 300 trials bike and i think it had a metal tank as well..
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #7358
MasterChief
Adventurer
 
MasterChief's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Whidbey Island
Oddometer: 1,146
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
So the XT I'm riding is almost completely stock and its never given me a bit of problems until two weeks ago. Since then I've gotten stranded twice. Luckily one was at work so no biggie but the other (first time) I was in the woods and was missing a couple tools needed to get to the jets (I had a pretty good idea what was wrong with it)

Anyways, I'm gonna be out in the garage cleaning the carb now.

I guess I'll order a fuel filter but just wondering why this happens? is it because of the metal tanks are prone to rusting? Only other bike I've had that did this was a Gas Gas 300 trials bike and i think it had a metal tank as well..
On mine it wasn't the tank. It was the metal base of the fuel petcock that corroded and clogged things up,
__________________
MasterChief
13 TE310 08 TE610, 96 XT 225, 86 SRX 600
MasterChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #7359
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer
 
KamperBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Somewhere USA
Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
So the XT I'm riding is almost completely stock and its never given me a bit of problems until two weeks ago. Since then I've gotten stranded twice. Luckily one was at work so no biggie but the other (first time) I was in the woods and was missing a couple tools needed to get to the jets (I had a pretty good idea what was wrong with it)

Anyways, I'm gonna be out in the garage cleaning the carb now.

I guess I'll order a fuel filter but just wondering why this happens? is it because of the metal tanks are prone to rusting? Only other bike I've had that did this was a Gas Gas 300 trials bike and i think it had a metal tank as well..
Most bikes have steel tanks. They only rust if mistreated. Most serve decades trouble free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
On mine it wasn't the tank. It was the metal base of the fuel petcock that corroded and clogged things up,
Bingo. A plastic tank still have a metal petcock. Movement can break loose built-up gunk.

Some gas is dirty. Modern filling stations in the US have filters so the problem is rare from the pump. Using old gas cans or ancient drum-gravity tanks in remote areas can introduce contamination. Dirt bikes also tend to operate in a lot of, well, dirt. So odds of contamination increase.
__________________
Kamper Bob
(read about Half Pint's adventures at Recreation Engineer)

KamperBob screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 05:46 AM Reason: typo
KamperBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #7360
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer
 
KamperBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Somewhere USA
Oddometer: 254
Chain & sprockets

I'm preparing a TLC parts order for my 06XT225. Going on 24k miles and a lot of rain exposure the OEM chain got kinky and started chewing sprocket teeth. The price difference between O-ring and standard is many fold. Enough to consider new strategy. Forget O-ring. Buy two standard chains. Leave the spare soaking in 30W. Swap chains with every oil change. Thoughts?

I'm sticking with stock gearing, and chaparralmotorsports.com seems to have the best price on sprockets:
The part number for the sprockets are: JT1263-15 for the front price: $7.99. The part number for the rear is JT1842-45 price: $18.99 The shipping under $100 is $7.99 to get to Michigan
Bob
__________________
Kamper Bob
(read about Half Pint's adventures at Recreation Engineer)
KamperBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #7361
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Oddometer: 2,684
>"Swap chains with every oil change. Thoughts?"

IMHO: Nope... non o-ring chains are a continual time-consuming hassle.
Buy the X-ring or O-ring chain.
__________________
"I don't really know, I've been too busy falling down."
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #7362
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
I'm preparing a TLC parts order for my 06XT225. Going on 24k miles and a lot of rain exposure the OEM chain got kinky and started chewing sprocket teeth. The price difference between O-ring and standard is many fold. Enough to consider new strategy. Forget O-ring. Buy two standard chains. Leave the spare soaking in 30W. Swap chains with every oil change. Thoughts?

I'm sticking with stock gearing, and chaparralmotorsports.com seems to have the best price on sprockets:
The part number for the sprockets are: JT1263-15 for the front price: $7.99. The part number for the rear is JT1842-45 price: $18.99 The shipping under $100 is $7.99 to get to Michigan
Bob

Personally, I'd go with the O-ring one. Heck you got 24,000 miles from it.

But, I would be interested in hearing your experience & opinion of the non O-ring chain after you've tried it a while.

I don't think I'd bother buying 2 of them. You can easily pull the chain & soak it in kero before your oil change, and then dip it in oil for a few minutes (while you have a cold 1 & lunch or check ADVrider...). That way you'll get "wear results" quicker, because you know 2 chains will last twice as long.

btw, I seem to recall some bicyclist used to lube their chains in molten wax. Anybody ever try that? Seems cleaner running than oil. I don't know which type of wax would be best, but I know carnuba wax is the hardest and has the highest melting point of any natural wax. You could add in some graphite powder......
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #7363
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer
 
KamperBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Somewhere USA
Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Personally, I'd go with the O-ring one. Heck you got 24,000 miles from it.

But, I would be interested in hearing your experience & opinion of the non O-ring chain after you've tried it a while.

I don't think I'd bother buying 2 of them. You can easily pull the chain & soak it in kero before your oil change, and then dip it in oil for a few minutes (while you have a cold 1 & lunch or check ADVrider...). That way you'll get "wear results" quicker, because you know 2 chains will last twice as long.

btw, I seem to recall some bicyclist used to lube their chains in molten wax. Anybody ever try that? Seems cleaner running than oil. I don't know which type of wax would be best, but I know carnuba wax is the hardest and has the highest melting point of any natural wax. You could add in some graphite powder......
Thanks, Glenn. I can wait a bit before ordering. Maybe I'll get more responses. :)

Years ago my dad soaked his bicycle chain in melted paraffin. I remember him bragging about the idea just after he did it. Curiously, I don't recall any follow up. Let's say it holds up on a bicycle. Stresses are surely higher on a motorcycle chain. I too would be curious if anyone has loved it on dirt bikes. The whole idea IIRC was to keep the dust from sticking - like Teflon chain lube.
__________________
Kamper Bob
(read about Half Pint's adventures at Recreation Engineer)
KamperBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #7364
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer
 
GI_JO_NATHAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Middle GA.....Aparently....
Oddometer: 1,963
I've been running Dupont Teflon Multi-purpose Dry Wax lubricant in a spray can forever and haven't had any issues with it. Also picked up a small squeeze bottle of it to keep in the tool kit.

Haven't seen this Chain-Saver before. I'll be trying that for sure.

__________________
Jonathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #7365
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer
 
Fire Escape's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Epsom, NH
Oddometer: 1,467
Eh? Chains Without O-Rings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
I'm preparing a TLC parts order for my 06XT225. Going on 24k miles and a lot of rain exposure the OEM chain got kinky and started chewing sprocket teeth. The price difference between O-ring and standard is many fold. Enough to consider new strategy. Forget O-ring. Buy two standard chains. Leave the spare soaking in 30W. Swap chains with every oil change. Thoughts?

I'm sticking with stock gearing, and chaparralmotorsports.com seems to have the best price on sprockets:
The part number for the sprockets are: JT1263-15 for the front price: $7.99. The part number for the rear is JT1842-45 price: $18.99 The shipping under $100 is $7.99 to get to Michigan
Bob

Being well old enough to remember when all chains were 'non O-ring'.... I never want to go back to that! An O-ring chain comes lubricated for life, all the oil/grease it needs is already inside there, you just have to clean the grit and junk off the outside and keep it from rusting so that the O-rings can do their job. You will find almost as many opinions as to what to use to clean/lube chains as there are riders.... and they are all right! That's because it doesn't matter all that much what you put on the outside (or how often) as long as the O-rings remain intact. Once you go to a non O-ring chain, it will become much more critical that you stay on top of chain maintenance. Do you really want to have to lube it every couple hundred miles and EVERY time it rains? O-ring chains do use up a fraction of a horsepower in extra friction, racers frequently don't use them, but they also don't run all that many miles at a time and the top level riders will start each day with a fresh (as in NEW not just cleaned and lubed) chain. O-ring chains are a little wider than non O-ring chains, some antiques don't really have the clearances to fit them. For everyone else, O-rings just make sense. Think about our XT 225s, Yamaha installed many of the cheapest components they could find (especially the tires) but even they figured out that O-ring chains were worth the cost. You can of course run any type of chain you wish on your bike but I bet you can't get more than 8,000 or 9,000 miles from a non O-ring chain on it and you will put in a lot more time and lube to get close to that than you did for the original.



Bruce
__________________
No one calls the Fire Department because they did something smart!
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014