Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #7501
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
Wondering how many miles one can reasonably expect to get out of a properly maintained XT225 before a rebuild is required???

thanks,
-Brian
It seems to be a safe bet to do a top end kit at 12,000 miles.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #7502
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
It seems to be a safe bet to do a top end kit at 12,000 miles.
Safe bet to throw money away??? C'mon, I don't buy that at all, unless you totally abuse the bike. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to get 30k+ out of an XT225. I'd actually be disappointed if it didn't reach that.

My wife has 8k on her XT already. No way we'll be doing a top end in 4k miles.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #7503
Dirtdeville
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
stronger wheels

My first thought on fixing the wheel problem was getting a second set of TTR wheels with some barely street legal knobbies to swap out.Then I saw where someone put an XT350 wheel in front and said it was stronger but didn't like the handling due to the added weight.He also mentioned he left the big heavy tire on it and I think that was more of the problem as the rims are both aluminum and the same size.I think this option also allows you to retain the speedometer.
Dirtdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #7504
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdeville View Post
My first thought on fixing the wheel problem was getting a second set of TTR wheels with some barely street legal knobbies to swap out.Then I saw where someone put an XT350 wheel in front and said it was stronger but didn't like the handling due to the added weight.He also mentioned he left the big heavy tire on it and I think that was more of the problem as the rims are both aluminum and the same size.I think this option also allows you to retain the speedometer.

I bet you can find them pretty cheap on ebay. Let us know if you try it.

free/online Motorcycle Repair Course-
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #7505
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Safe bet to throw money away??? C'mon, I don't buy that at all, unless you totally abuse the bike. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to get 30k+ out of an XT225. I'd actually be disappointed if it didn't reach that.

Ditto here. I'm at 9600. I don't plan to do a rebuild until I see smoke or oil consumption, or the bike just becomes weak. I used to think working on bikes was fun, but I have too many things to maintain nowdays.

free/online Motorcycle Repair Course-
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #7506
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post

I just turned 29,500 km's, and don't really want to fix it until it breaks. I'm happy to not open a new can o' worms.
That being said, I follow the maintenance schedule to the letter, and don't ride WOT too often. I think these bikes should be good for at least 50,000 km's, or 32,000 miles. Just my $.02
woofer2609 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #7507
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,089
There's a guy in the UK over on xt225.com that puts like 80k miles on these bikes, so they can go for quite a while, oil changes, air filter clean, and valve clearance, etc, keep them up, and they should last a while.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #7508
Drtyfun
Here and There

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Wondering how many miles one can reasonably expect to get out of a properly maintained XT225 before a rebuild is required???

thanks,
-Brian
My 2006 was going strong until 25k when the timing chain failed. New top end and valves, now past 31k. All is well.

Drtyfun screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 03:42 AM
Drtyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #7509
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:

thanks,
-Brian
Hi Brian,

mines just passed 55,000 miles with no problems. Just a minor oil seepage from a gasket.

My 250 did over 75,00, before being written off in an accident and had no engine work done at all.

Both were still on their original clutches.

Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #7510
madmag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Hi everyone,

I recently joined the site last week, with Qs related to DR125 vs DR200 as an alternative to getting a 70s Yamaha DT. Then I stumbled onto a 1997 XT225.

From what I've been reading, and from other forum members' advice, the XT225 sounds like an awesome bike. (In a nutshell, my plan is to get back into riding after a long absence. Had an 80 XT250, but got spooked on it, so I'm trying something smaller for my 6'1" 175 pounds.)

Anyway, the 97 XT225 I found has 6800 miles, new head replaced at 6K miles (by prev owner). The seller has only put 500 miles on it since he got it, and has changed the oil once.

Query: should a new head be worrisome? What does that even mean? New valves, guides, etc.? Why would that be required on such a low mileage bike?

In light of this info, is $1K a good offer?

Thanks for any advice in advance.
John
madmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #7511
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmag View Post
Hi everyone,

I recently joined the site last week, with Qs related to DR125 vs DR200 as an alternative to getting a 70s Yamaha DT. Then I stumbled onto a 1997 XT225.

From what I've been reading, and from other forum members' advice, the XT225 sounds like an awesome bike. (In a nutshell, my plan is to get back into riding after a long absence. Had an 80 XT250, but got spooked on it, so I'm trying something smaller for my 6'1" 175 pounds.)

Anyway, the 97 XT225 I found has 6800 miles, new head replaced at 6K miles (by prev owner). The seller has only put 500 miles on it since he got it, and has changed the oil once.

Query: should a new head be worrisome? What does that even mean? New valves, guides, etc.? Why would that be required on such a low mileage bike?

In light of this info, is $1K a good offer?

Thanks for any advice in advance.
John
The XT225 is a great bike to get back into riding and considering your size, a better choice than the DR125/200

Besides for the obvious running, make sure you check the fuel tank for rust and garbage. Low mileage older bikes that haven't been stored correctly can have rust develop. The carbs also can easily gum up, especially with ethanol in the fuel. Also check the spokes for tightness and that they are all there.

As for the previous owner replacing the head, are you sure it wasn't just head gasket? If he did in fact replace the head, did he say what else he replaced and why? Did the owner maybe buy it in an non-running state and he had to replace the head because of previous damage? Did it burn a valve from not being adjusted, but even that seems pretty low mileage to do that. It doesn't have to be worry some if the guy knew what he was doing, but that certainly throws up something to check out more. Does he have receipts for everything he bought? Is he just blowing smoke in your face?

Since the XT's haven't change much since '92, $1k isn't bad at all for a good running bike, just make sure you aren't taking in a basket case. For $1500-$2000, you can buy some really nice low mileage XT225's.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #7512
madmag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thanks, Blue. The owner texted me and said "No receipts. The prev owner was just doing it to keeep maintenence on motor, no issues, just wanted to keep it fresh."

I don't know that much about engines, but this seems like a lot of work, and not something you'd regularly do. (Though I still haven't confirmed whether it was a full top end, or just gasket). Still, I'm leary.

Maybe I should check out the 76 DT175 or 86 KE100 (a time capsule with 280 miles) listed locally. Or would that be idiotic? I know they're 2-strokes, but can they be compared at all to the XT225, in terms of a bike getting someone back into riding?

Or is the XT225 with the questionable history (and missing parts) the better way to go? I certainly like this forum, and all the brotherhood/sisterhood these bikes elicit, and the aftermarket support....
madmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #7513
Wilder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
afternoon delight

Just had a little mini adventure in my own backyard on the XT and thought I'd share.

I got off work early today so I decided to spend some quality time with the XT in the woods and see if I could re-find a way from my house to the Tolt river for a swim. I succeeded and re-found a fun, tight and steep single track trail connected by some two track that led me to a nice beach, that I remembered from riding my mountain bike there a couple years ago. I took a swim and enjoyed the sun and solitude. It was a short ride, 15 miles after turning around a couple times to find the right trail.

I got all my gear back on and gathered my wits to make it up the steep and rutted section I came down. As soon as I get back on the trail, a hidden stick shot out and struck my leg and the middle of the bike. It hurt my leg but I was going to keep going when the motor died. When it didnt start right back up, I looked down to my left and to my horror saw fuel spewing out of my gas tank! I shut off the gas and looked down to my right and saw my carb, hanging by the throttle and choke cables. The stick completey ripped it from bike!

Luckily nothing was broken on the carb, and tried to stay calm while taking the seat and tank off to put it back in (Hooray for carrying tools!). I got back in and went on my merry way.

And then to keep things interesting I fell in the smallest creek crossing right on my back side on the way home before going back up the steep hill, which the XT handled like a champ. Its days like this I wish I had a GoPro on so I could share my folly, sitting in the creek, laughing my ass off.

Cheers for cheap thrills!
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #7514
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmag View Post
Thanks, Blue. The owner texted me and said "No receipts. The prev owner was just doing it to keeep maintenence on motor, no issues, just wanted to keep it fresh."

I don't know that much about engines, but this seems like a lot of work, and not something you'd regularly do. (Though I still haven't confirmed whether it was a full top end, or just gasket). Still, I'm leary.
Have you called and actually talked to this guy? Its hard to find out a bunch about a bike over text messages. If I'm looking at a bike, I'm talking to the person on the phone at the least to get an idea about things. You can cover a whole lot more in a conversation then you ever could over texts.

Yeah, that does seem like a lot of work to keep it fresh as you say. Maybe he was used to older 2 strokes or high maintenance 4 strokes, but the XT certainly isn't that.

If its not too far away, I would at least go check it out. Even if it was an XT that the top end was never touched, it wouldn't be anything to worry about and doesn't necessarily mean bad things if he decided to just replace stuff anyways.

Quote:
Maybe I should check out the 76 DT175 or 86 KE100 (a time capsule with 280 miles) listed locally. Or would that be idiotic? I know they're 2-strokes, but can they be compared at all to the XT225, in terms of a bike getting someone back into riding?

Or is the XT225 with the questionable history (and missing parts) the better way to go? I certainly like this forum, and all the brotherhood/sisterhood these bikes elicit, and the aftermarket support....
Unless you just like messing with older 2T bikes like that, I'd stay clear. You are opening a whole new can of worms with those bikes. Besides the fact that parts are probably getting slim, they are nothing like today's bikes and probably not the best choice for someone just getting back into riding.

You didn't mention missing parts on the XT earlier? What is it missing? Even if that XT doesn't work out, just keep an eye out for other ones. I'd at least check it out. Do you have a link to the ad where this one is listed? That might help us?
Old 08-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #7515
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
Just had a little mini adventure in my own backyard on the XT and thought I'd share.

I got off work early today so I decided to spend some quality time with the XT in the woods and see if I could re-find a way from my house to the Tolt river for a swim. I succeeded and re-found a fun, tight and steep single track trail connected by some two track that led me to a nice beach, that I remembered from riding my mountain bike there a couple years ago. I took a swim and enjoyed the sun and solitude. It was a short ride, 15 miles after turning around a couple times to find the right trail.

I got all my gear back on and gathered my wits to make it up the steep and rutted section I came down. As soon as I get back on the trail, a hidden stick shot out and struck my leg and the middle of the bike. It hurt my leg but I was going to keep going when the motor died. When it didnt start right back up, I looked down to my left and to my horror saw fuel spewing out of my gas tank! I shut off the gas and looked down to my right and saw my carb, hanging by the throttle and choke cables. The stick completey ripped it from bike!

Luckily nothing was broken on the carb, and tried to stay calm while taking the seat and tank off to put it back in (Hooray for carrying tools!). I got back in and went on my merry way.

And then to keep things interesting I fell in the smallest creek crossing right on my back side on the way home before going back up the steep hill, which the XT handled like a champ. Its days like this I wish I had a GoPro on so I could share my folly, sitting in the creek, laughing my ass off.

Cheers for cheap thrills!
LOL, those are the adventures you never forget. That had to be quite the stick to pull the carb off!