ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 AM   #7756
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,872
I've never fiddled with my suspension...scared of it I guess.

But, all this talk about it has me thinking I should try firming it up a little.

There's nothing you can adjust on the forks of an 02, is there? Mine seems a little weak in the front, maybe just looks weak because the rubber boots sag. Will the Cogent springs raise the bike any?

Btw, I just mounted a new Skinko 277(?) on the rear last night. Went pretty easy. Got a new IRC front knobby to mount on the WR450 today, hope it isn't too frustrating....I still have nightmares from the 606 front I mounted on a DRZ a couple of years ago. It was a "finger pincher"!!
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #7757
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!
 
Reposado1800's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: 5th and Main
Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I've never fiddled with my suspension...scared of it I guess.

But, all this talk about it has me thinking I should try firming it up a little.

There's nothing you can adjust on the forks of an 02, is there? Mine seems a little weak in the front, maybe just looks weak because the rubber boots sag. Will the Cogent springs raise the bike any?

Btw, I just mounted a new Skinko 277(?) on the rear last night. Went pretty easy. Got a new IRC front knobby to mount on the WR450 today, hope it isn't too frustrating....I still have nightmares from the 606 front I mounted on a DRZ a couple of years ago. It was a "finger pincher"!!
I did the. 42 front springs from Cogent and the heavier rear spring. Along with the race tech emulators. It works really good.
__________________
Hate gets you nowhere.
Tequila is a weapon of mass destruction.
Reposado1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #7758
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker
 
kewlbyme's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Woodstock, GA
Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Have you considered a shock off a TTR225? They came with heavier springs. I got one cheap off of Ebay, and it doesn't bottom with me on it, 180 before gear, plus another 25 or so in accessories.
Which color spring does yours have? I see orange and red on ebay. Different years? Different rates?

Is it a direct bolt on replacement?

Other than not bottoming out, what are your overall impressions of the xt with the ttr shock?

Thanks!
__________________
2001 XT225
2003 XT225
2005 DL650 - Sold
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #7759
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost
 
Crazy Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Soaking up the Southern Californian Sun.
Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlbyme View Post
Which color spring does yours have? I see orange and red on ebay. Different years? Different rates?

Is it a direct bolt on replacement?

Other than not bottoming out, what are your overall impressions of the xt with the ttr shock?

Thanks!
Called Yamaha, red is stiffest, then orange, yellow and black.
__________________
I've learned to give "impossible" the finger as I pass it by.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #7760
J5k
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Greenfield Center, NY
Oddometer: 53
Installed this today. So far so good, cranks as hard as the stocker.
J5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #7761
a1fa
Riding Nomad™
 
a1fa's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 13,502
That's tiny!
__________________
Learn to ride. Ride to learn.
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #7762
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost
 
Crazy Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Soaking up the Southern Californian Sun.
Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
That's tiny!
That's what she said!
__________________
I've learned to give "impossible" the finger as I pass it by.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #7763
J5k
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Greenfield Center, NY
Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
That's what she said!
Actually, the first crank feels weak but then it feels just like it always does.
J5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #7764
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost
 
Crazy Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Soaking up the Southern Californian Sun.
Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5k View Post
Actually, the first crank feels weak but then it feels just like it always does.
First twist is always always the hardest.
__________________
I've learned to give "impossible" the finger as I pass it by.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #7765
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer
 
woofer2609's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Extreme Pacific SouthWest (of Canada)
Oddometer: 628
Cooool!

So what do you figure the weight savings is? I saw these and will be buying one when I need a replacement battery.
The real question is, what are you going to put in the new space you've created in the battery box?
woofer2609 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #7766
Tom S
Can I ride it?
 
Tom S's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Oddometer: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5k View Post
Installed this today.
You might tell us exactly WTF it is.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #7767
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,872
J5K,

Is that a Lithium Iron battery? What brand is it?

I recently installed a Turn Tech on my 450. I think they said it gets stronger after you use them a while. Mine is in the same size case as the OEM battery, but the early models were about 1/2 the size. It works great, but so would a new stock battery. The main reason I paid the few extra bucks was because they are so much lighter. I think it's about 16 oz (maybe less) and the OEM battery was about 5 lbs. Seems like the cheapest way to shed 4 lbs.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #7768
J5k
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Greenfield Center, NY
Oddometer: 53
The listed weight for the ballistic evo2 4 cell lithium battery was something like 0.9-1.0 pounds. I haven't weighed the stock one. I'm going to guess a weight savings of about 4+ pounds, but those 4 are in a nice spot to reduce ;). For now ill probably fill the gaps with pieces of the foam that was holding the battery in its packaging.
J5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #7769
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer
 
airborndad's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Montclair Ca.
Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
J5K,

Is that a Lithium Iron battery? What brand is it?

I recently installed a Turn Tech on my 450. I think they said it gets stronger after you use them a while. Mine is in the same size case as the OEM battery, but the early models were about 1/2 the size. It works great, but so would a new stock battery. The main reason I paid the few extra bucks was because they are so much lighter. I think it's about 16 oz (maybe less) and the OEM battery was about 5 lbs. Seems like the cheapest way to shed 4 lbs.
good deals here

Ultra Light Batteries http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629665
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #7770
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cin City, OH
Oddometer: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlbyme View Post
Which color spring does yours have? I see orange and red on ebay. Different years? Different rates?

Is it a direct bolt on replacement?

Other than not bottoming out, what are your overall impressions of the xt with the ttr shock?

Thanks!
I just checked, the spring is red, original was yellow. It's a direct bolt on, and not that difficult to do. Nothing but the seat, as I remember, had to be removed, but it's been a while. Maybe the rear tire, but not sure.

I am not a fast rider, and have a relatively unsophisticated bottom, so no real "feel" difference to me. I just thought the back felt soft, and now it doesn't.

They're available relatively inexpensively on Ebay, for the price it's a no brainer. Not sure if the shock itself is any heavier duty, I just swapped out the complete unit.
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014