User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #7831
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Adberns,

Thanks for the info and the link to the previous info on this thread, much obliged!

Yes, a 14 tooth CS sprocket is probably a little too low, but I'd like to give it a try
. I originally had the stock 15 tooth CS sprocket on my XT, and loved how low first gear was for trails and hooliganism, but quickly switched to the 16 tooth CS spocket for highway riding, which has been on the bike for 7k miles or so. Now that I'm getting back into technical trail riding, I wanted to see the difference between the 14 tooth and 15 tooth sprockets, vs. the 15 and 16...

Don't worry, when summer hits again, the 16 will go back on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adberns View Post
My goodness, 14t on the cs! I thought the 15t was plenty low :)

My guess is it will work with the stock chain. Post 5521 of this thread
Old 10-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #7832
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDuro View Post
Adberns,

Thanks for the info and the link to the previous info on this thread, much obliged!

Yes, a 14 tooth CS sprocket is probably a little too low, but I'd like to give it a try
. I originally had the stock 15 tooth CS sprocket on my XT, and loved how low first gear was for trails and hooliganism, but quickly switched to the 16 tooth CS spocket for highway riding, which has been on the bike for 7k miles or so. Now that I'm getting back into technical trail riding, I wanted to see the difference between the 14 tooth and 15 tooth sprockets, vs. the 15 and 16...

Geez, you'll be in 4th by the time you leave the driveway
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #7833
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,574
My '05 won't take a Gerbings jacket liner and gloves without killing the battery. The good news is that it'll start on a push even with a dead battery.

So, I also installed a kick starter, and an on/off switch for the headlight. Now, no worries. I also find if you unplug the heated gear 3 miles or so from where you're going to stop, that's usually sufficient for the battery to recharge enough to operate the starter.

Kick starter installation isn't difficult, and worth the money, in my opinion, if you use heated gear. Can be a little tough to push start on a dirt surface.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #7834
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
So, I also installed a kick starter, and an on/off switch for the headlight. Now, no worries. I also find if you unplug the heated gear 3 miles or so from where you're going to stop, that's usually sufficient for the battery to recharge enough to operate the starter.
This is of course very bad for the life of your battery to discharge it that much. I wish that there was a better option but there doesn't seem to be.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #7835
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
This is of course very bad for the life of your battery to discharge it that much. I wish that there was a better option but there doesn't seem to be.
There is a better option... Move to Southern California! I got boxes of heated gear in the garage that I haven't used more then once since leaving TN.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #7836
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,679
does anyone know if the crf230l alternator is bigger than the xt's?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #7837
alonzo
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Adberns,

Inmate Swamp ran 15/53 on his trip from California to Alabama (the *back* way). Said his top speed was 54mph. But, he successfully rode through some *extremely* gnarly stuff. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730691

15/45 = 3.0:1 (stock XT)
14/45 = 3.2:1
15/53 = 3.53:1 (Swamp's gearing)

And, I've seen a post where someone was running 13/50 for single track riding:
13/50 = 3.85:1

-- alonzo

1978 BMW R80/7
2009 BMW F650GS (do you think a new BMW every 30 years is too much?)

2006 Yamaha XT225
1970 Triumph Bonneville T120R

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."
¡sǝʞıq ʇɹıp ɟo ɟɟo ʎɐʇs pןnoɥs noʎ ǝqʎɐɯ uǝɥʇ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
alonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #7838
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Thanks for the input and info alonzo, I appreciate it! Same with the link to Swamp's California-Alabama trip; that's an amazing ride report and I got about 1/4 through it tonight. Flat out awesome! Can't wait to view the rest!

It sounds like the 14/45 combo will suit my needs just fine

At 11,000 miles, I'm still running the stock, original DID o-ring chain and rear sprocket, and amazingly, the teeth show very little wear, but the chain's getting pretty stiff. I think when I get the 14T CS sprocket, I'll throw on a new DID 428H standard, non-o ring chain just for giggles...

I've been trying (and utterly failing) to avoid the dirt demon for reasons unknown... It seems the more I try to avoid it, the quicker I end up in the middle of nowhere on a jeep trail:

This was the only flat, smooth section of it; I swear! Airing down the tires to 15psi helps a lot in the loose, but I found myself struggling a bit with the high gearing (even in 1st) when things get tight. Also, the windshield needs to come off more often. Feels like I'm gonna decapitate myself when standing on the pegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzo View Post
Inmate Swamp ran 15/53 on his trip from California to Alabama (the *back* way). Said his top speed was 54mph. But, he successfully rode through some *extremely* gnarly stuff. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730691

-- alonzo
Old 10-18-2012, 04:52 AM   #7839
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzo View Post

-- alonzo
I'm running 15/50 on my wife's bike. Good compromise and does fine around town. Obviously not good on the highway.

dbarale screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 03:27 PM
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #7840
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Thanks for the input and info alonzo, I appreciate it! Same with the link to Swamp's California-Alabama trip; that's an amazing ride report and I got about 1/4 through it tonight. Flat out awesome! Can't wait to view the rest!

It sounds like the 14/45 combo will suit my needs just fine

At 11,000 miles, I'm still running the stock, original DID o-ring chain and rear sprocket, and amazingly, the teeth show very little wear, but the chain's getting pretty stiff. I think when I get the 14T CS sprocket, I'll throw on a new DID 428H standard, non-o ring chain just for giggles...
A 428H chain is needlessly heavy, standard 428 would be fine. With 11000 miles you should replace the rear sprocket, they are not expensive, I use a Parts Unlimited 50T steel. The XT225 was delivered to markets other than the USA with 15/50T gearing (notice the rear chain guide that hangs down way below a 45T sprocket), which I think works well for dual purpose use.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #7841
wanka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Cold starts?

Sorry, I know this has been covered here before, but my '09 Xt 250 will not start if the temp goes down below 5 deg. C. I will kill the battery. I have heard of the "Z1 mod" but am unsure if this is just a XT 225 mod and exactly how to do it? I would appreciate any help since up here in Edmonton, cold starts are on the normal side.
Thanks in advance.
wanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #7842
Mole-Man
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Kickstarter and Key?

If a person were to install a kickstarter, would they still have to turn the key to start before kicking it?
Mole-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #7843
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I just got a kickstarter from procycle.com, and plan on installing it this weekend. The hardest part will be removing and installing the clutch without the special holder tool from Yamaha, but I have done it on many other bikes without that tool without any serious issues. You can either stuff a rag in the gears to lock them up, or remove the spark plug, put the piston at BDC, and stuff the cylinder with nylon rope to lock it up. Yes, the ignition switch will still have to be on to kickstart it.

I have found the stock gearing to be perfect for both on and off road riding. Lower gearing might be better for off road only, but it would not be usable on the road. And I don't believe the XT could pull a higher gear, you would probably wind up going slower. I have over 30,000 miles on my engine with no problems with stock gearing, including many miles of freeway riding, and a lot of trail riding. The bike itself was built out of several different XT225s. I have a LOT of good spare parts, including a nearly new engine with just over 2,000 miles on it. Basically I have enough parts to make this bike last forever.

JerryH screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 01:23 AM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #7844
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Thanks. I'll take a look and hopefully have some pics up soon.
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:02 AM   #7845
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
What model RAM mount did you get, and what size bars do you have? I'm looking at the B149Z handle bar mount model for my Garmin Oregon 450 and curious as to whether it will fit stock and oversize bars
RAM Mount RAM-B-174-GA41U Aluminum Garmin GPSMAP 62 62s 62st Motorcycle Brake Clutch Mount Kit. The kit comes with both U-bolt and long bolts( 2 different threads...you have to match the threads for your bike). I used the bolts which replaced stock bolts for the brake revs. AWESOME. I also have an iphone w/ a otterbox case. i removed the clip for the belt holder, i ordered another diamound mount, screwed and mounted the diamond to the belt case. the botter box phone case HOLDS tightly in place! So now i have my gps on the trail and use my phone map for directions around town. GREAT SET UP.
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote