ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #7846
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer
 
lamotovita's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: WA/AZ, USA
Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole-Man View Post
If a person were to install a kickstarter, would they still have to turn the key to start before kicking it?
Yes
__________________
Beaten paths are for beaten men.
lamotovita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #7847
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer
 
woofer2609's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Extreme Pacific SouthWest (of Canada)
Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have found the stock gearing to be perfect for both on and off road riding. Lower gearing might be better for off road only, but it would not be usable on the road. And I don't believe the XT could pull a higher gear, you would probably wind up going slower. I have over 30,000 miles on my engine with no problems with stock gearing, including many miles of freeway riding, and a lot of trail riding.
+1
To each their own, but as I modify the bike, then unmodify it, I find that Yamaha did a pretty good job of getting most things right for most people. 16/45 always seemed to be hunting between 5th and 6th .
Sure, a little more electrical output would be nice, but that was addressed with the 2001 model year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlclaflin View Post
RAM Mount RAM-B-174-GA41U Aluminum Garmin GPSMAP 62 62s 62st Motorcycle Brake Clutch Mount Kit. The kit comes with both U-bolt and long bolts( 2 different threads...you have to match the threads for your bike). I used the bolts which replaced stock bolts for the brake revs. AWESOME. I also have an iphone w/ a otterbox case. i removed the clip for the belt holder, i ordered another diamound mount, screwed and mounted the diamond to the belt case. the botter box phone case HOLDS tightly in place! So now i have my gps on the trail and use my phone map for directions around town. GREAT SET UP.
Thanks for the heads up, I may go for this kit over the handlebar u-bolt mount.
woofer2609 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #7848
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer
 
TwinDuro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Pac Nor-Wet, WA
Oddometer: 305
I agree with both of you in certain regards... Just as woofer said, to each their own; one setup doesn't work for everyone (and it never will), but the stock gearing setup certainly is versatile just as it comes from the factory.

My notes for anyone interested: I've ridden with the 16/45 setup for 6k+ miles now, and have done plenty of 200-400 mile days with it. Just as woofer said, I have noticed the hunting between 5th and 6th gear, but haven't found it detrimental to the type of road riding I do. What the 16/45 setup does allow me (which doesn't necessarily mean others) to do, even loaded with 40-50 pounds of gear, is cruise at an indicated 60-65mph for hours on end at a relatively low rpm. I definitely can't pull 6th gear in some situations, but that just means I downshift to 5th . This isn't acceptable to some, but for me it works fine.

Where I have found the 16/45 combination to be a problem is rough trail riding. Where 1st gear is like granny-low gearing in an old truck with the stock 15/45 combo, it becomes just a little too high with the 16 tooth CS sprocket. Hence the want to go back to the stock gearing setup and to also try the 14/45 setup. The nice thing about trying out gearing is that it's easy to change back if you don't like it...

Again, everyone's needs are different, and my needs at the moment call for _low_ gearing and aggressive DOT knobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
+1
To each their own, but as I modify the bike, then unmodify it, I find that Yamaha did a pretty good job of getting most things right for most people. 16/45 always seemed to be hunting between 5th and 6th .
Sure, a little more electrical output would be nice, but that was addressed with the 2001 model year.

Thanks for the heads up, I may go for this kit over the handlebar u-bolt mount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH
I have found the stock gearing to be perfect for both on and off road riding. Lower gearing might be better for off road only, but it would not be usable on the road. And I don't believe the XT could pull a higher gear, you would probably wind up going slower. I have over 30,000 miles on my engine with no problems with stock gearing, including many miles of freeway riding, and a lot of trail riding.
__________________
"Remember, you may have to grow old, but you don't have to mature." - Red Green
TwinDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #7849
GlennF33
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 111
I have the 14/45 combo on my 2005 and it still won't hit top revs in 6th gear. I have done exhaust, jetting and intake mods. Top speed is the same as stock. The bike doesn't have enough power to overcome wind resistance. I weigh 215# which doesn't help.
GlennF33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #7850
MC_Collector
Riding Again!
 
MC_Collector's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Longshot, Mississippi
Oddometer: 85
Feeling crazy one day at the end of a long ride

Pinned the throttle on my stock 1999 XT225 with stock gearing on a long steep downhill paved road and hit 91.5 mph on GPS before letting off. I'm guessing I went 92-9500 rpm in 6th, but was about to run over a car. The bike still is running great 16,000mi. Felt kind of wierd.
__________________
Dusty Evans
MC_Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #7851
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer
 
woofer2609's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Extreme Pacific SouthWest (of Canada)
Oddometer: 643
There was a fantastic article, I believe from Cycle World, published in the 70's, that had wind tunnel results of the same motorcycle with a rounded tail, bobbed tail, single rider, single rider in tuck, single rider with windscreen, two-up, two up in tuck, coefficient of drag numbers, correlated to the amount of horsepower needed to maintain the same speed given the drag of the bike and rider. As speed increases past a certain point, the amount of HP needed for even minimal gains in top speed is huge. It was fascinating article, anybody else seen it or know the link? It's somewhere here on ADV...
From my completely non scientific perspective, top speed in 6th is severely drag limited, as the engine is not turning fast enough to be at its HP peak to overcome the drag, so maximum speed is achieved in 4th or 5th, at the expense of fuel economy, but as long as cruising speed is able to be maintained in top gear for most grades, then I think the bike is appropriately geared for the rider. the jump from 4th to 5th gear on this bike is pretty wide.
I found gearing more critical at the other end of the speedo where it was hard to start with a fully loaded bike on a grade, hence going to the 15t
woofer2609 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #7852
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer
 
woofer2609's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Extreme Pacific SouthWest (of Canada)
Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC_Collector View Post
Pinned the throttle on my stock 1999 XT225 with stock gearing on a long steep downhill paved road and hit 91.5 mph on GPS before letting off. I'm guessing I went 92-9500 rpm in 6th, but was about to run over a car. The bike still is running great 16,000mi. Felt kind of wierd.
woofer2609 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #7853
MC_Collector
Riding Again!
 
MC_Collector's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Longshot, Mississippi
Oddometer: 85
But on the other hand

On flat ground ~75mph is about all she's got with my 220 lb carcus on her. Like some others have said wind resistance demands exceed available hp
__________________
Dusty Evans
MC_Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #7854
a1fa
Riding Nomad™
 
a1fa's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 13,547
I've seen 81mph.
__________________
Learn to ride. Ride to learn.
a1fa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #7855
Tom S
Can I ride it?
 
Tom S's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Oddometer: 4,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
I've seen 81mph.
I did run the little XT to a speedo indicated 85 mph once. (I think it was 85) Flat & level, no wind, huggin’ the tank.
With the approximately 10% speedometer error these bikes have I think that would really be around 77 mph. Didn’t have the GPS strapped on it at the time.
60 mph indicated on the XT speedo was 55 on the GPS. An indicated 81 mph would actually be 73 mph.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #7856
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: North Idaho
Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
I did run the little XT to a speedo indicated 85 mph once. (I think it was 85) Flat & level, no wind, huggin’ the tank.
With the approximately 10% speedometer error these bikes have I think that would really be around 77 mph. Didn’t have the GPS strapped on it at the time.
60 mph indicated on the XT speedo was 55 on the GPS. An indicated 81 mph would actually be 73 mph.
I've cruised on flat road at 75 on my 1994 xt225, stock gears and sprockets. Gone up some hills ( not too steep) with the throttle pegged, having a hard to keep at 65. Granted, the convoy was 8 bikes; mine being the oldest, smallest and litest. I think the old girl did a good job staying with group. I think i'm pretty lucky that i didn't blow the engine.....considering that i'm 215lbs and the bike being 18yrs old. Since then, i have not pushed the old girl that hard for long of a time; it was 125mile road trip.

carlclaflin screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 01:02 AM Reason: added to it
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #7857
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,796
Don't forget that the faster an engine turns at any given speed, the faster it wears out. Gearing a bike to run at higher rpms on the road will decrease engine life. I don't have a tachometer, but the engine sounds very busy at an indicated 60 mph in top gear. I have 32,000+ miles on my XT, and expect it to last past 50,000 miles. Whenever the stock '94 engine wears out, I have a nearly new '01 engine with 2500 miles ready to replace it with, so I should be good for the forseeable future.

Despite the fact that they were outlawed in 2008, we still have emissions testing for motorcycles in my county. I have 2 carbs for the XT, one specifically set up and jetted to pass the emissions test, and the other to swap it out with when I get back home from the test place, with richer jetting, the pilot screw turned out farther, and a shimmed needle. I have one stock exhaust, and 1 Z1 modded exhaust, which is what I am currently running. With the mixture set right, it runs fine and does not overheat even in AZ summers.
__________________
I won't spend more on a bike than I think it's worth, but if it's a good deal, I don't seem to have a problem buying bikes I don't need.
2002 Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #7858
MC_Collector
Riding Again!
 
MC_Collector's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Longshot, Mississippi
Oddometer: 85
Good Advice!

Amen to the run em hard and wear out soon. I destroyed so many engines in the late 60's and early 70's that I finally made the connection between throttle opening and repair work. Finally figured out I like to ride more that rebuild engines! The XT seems tough, but a ball bearing can be torn up if you use the right hammer. I have a 1977 DT250D 2 smoke that has 20K miles and the engine has never been out of the frame and it runs perfectly. If you want to go fast get a bigger bike is my theory. In dirt, I like light..Just my 2 cents....
__________________
Dusty Evans
MC_Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #7859
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: North Idaho
Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC_Collector View Post
Amen to the run em hard and wear out soon. I destroyed so many engines in the late 60's and early 70's that I finally made the connection between throttle opening and repair work. Finally figured out I like to ride more that rebuild engines! The XT seems tough, but a ball bearing can be torn up if you use the right hammer. I have a 1977 DT250D 2 smoke that has 20K miles and the engine has never been out of the frame and it runs perfectly. If you want to go fast get a bigger bike is my theory. In dirt, I like light..Just my 2 cents....
Amen to that. It much funner to ride than to repair! sometimes you just have to do both in order to enjoy the wind in your face and num crouch.
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #7860
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: North Idaho
Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlclaflin View Post
RAM Mount RAM-B-174-GA41U Aluminum Garmin GPSMAP 62 62s 62st Motorcycle Brake Clutch Mount Kit. The kit comes with both U-bolt and long bolts( 2 different threads...you have to match the threads for your bike). I used the bolts which replaced stock bolts for the brake revs. AWESOME. I also have an iphone w/ a otterbox case. i removed the clip for the belt holder, i ordered another diamound mount, screwed and mounted the diamond to the belt case. the botter box phone case HOLDS tightly in place! So now i have my gps on the trail and use my phone map for directions around town. GREAT SET UP.


carlclaflin screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 09:46 PM Reason: pictures
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014