Selling Clarke or OEM tank.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post19971798
OldGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #7923
gbacque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
cutting out

Odd thing happen on the way home after about 40miles of ATV track riding. Back on the road heading home and suddenly it feels like I'm running out of fuel. At only 50 miles I don't remember the bike laying on its side THAT much to dump 2 gallons of fuel out but I flip it to reserve anyway. No difference. Start cutting back on throttle and around a crack open it flattens out and starts to pull again. Give it a little gas and it bogs down. Runs fine at idle, not so much giving it any kind of gas.

Checked on the road:
Bowls on carb full
Gas flows from petcock
spark plug looks clean and dry with a brown tent to the end
Air filter looked okay (ran the same even with it pulled all-together)

Could have nursed it all the way home using the choke (got it all the way to 35mph that way) if it wasn't for a ~15mile bridge with no shoulder between me and home with night falling. Not having the tools to fix on the road my father came to the rescue and took the bike back to his hose (75miles away from where I live). This weekend I will have to return to fix the bike and get it back home. I ordered the jet kit for the carb and had it sent to his house. What else should I look into? Any special tools or parts I should gather before hand? Bike needs to return home next week. Big plans for it the weekend before Thanksgiving. Thanks for any input.
gbacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #7924
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbacque View Post
Odd thing happen on the way home after about 40miles of ATV track riding. Back on the road heading home and suddenly it feels like I'm running out of fuel. At only 50 miles I don't remember the bike laying on its side THAT much to dump 2 gallons of fuel out but I flip it to reserve anyway. No difference. Start cutting back on throttle and around a crack open it flattens out and starts to pull again. Give it a little gas and it bogs down. Runs fine at idle, not so much giving it any kind of gas.

Checked on the road:
Bowls on carb full
Gas flows from petcock
spark plug looks clean and dry with a brown tent to the end
Air filter looked okay (ran the same even with it pulled all-together)

Could have nursed it all the way home using the choke (got it all the way to 35mph that way) if it wasn't for a ~15mile bridge with no shoulder between me and home with night falling. Not having the tools to fix on the road my father came to the rescue and took the bike back to his hose (75miles away from where I live). This weekend I will have to return to fix the bike and get it back home. I ordered the jet kit for the carb and had it sent to his house. What else should I look into? Any special tools or parts I should gather before hand? Bike needs to return home next week. Big plans for it the weekend before Thanksgiving. Thanks for any input.
After being into my carb several times recently, it sounds like your pilot jet is fine and your main jet is blocked. I would pull the bowl and main jet and clean the main jet first to see if there is a difference.

After all the crap I found in my carb and bowl it wouldn't surprise me if a clogged main is the root of the issue.

Good luck with it!
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #7925
gbacque
Adventurer

Thanks kewlbyme. I feel better about my original assumption about the main jet. No matter what the symptoms are I tend to assume the worst. "loosing power.....oh no lost compression, spun a bearing, ran her out of oil, flat rear tire.....no just running out of gas "...petcock to reserve and motor on.

Going to re-jet with a 130 main jet, 42.5 pilot. ProCycle suggest this as a starting point. But is that a good starting point at sea level? I have done the z-mod and removed the snorkel. Any suggestions?

Question for those who use the fender bag on the front. I got mine in before last weekends little trip. In it I put two tubes, and two tire irons. I found that with that little bit of weight the finder was kissing the front tire all weekend. Those of you that use that finder bag, what did you do about the finder hitting the front wheel? Or is there just something wrong with my finder? Is there a stiffener or something? Could just chop off the front so it doesn't hang so close, but before I do something drastic I thought I would ask.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #7926
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
You are welcome! I hope that's all it is.

My muffler and airbox are stock. I went up to 127.5 and 42.5. I am at about 750 feet and it works great. I expect it will work fine up to several thousand.

If I had opened up, I would start with 127.5 or 130. At least 42.5, maybe 45 on the pilot. You are fine.

When you put in the larger pilot, you probably don't need a full 3 turns on the pilot adjust screw. I am at 2.5 turns with the 42.5, and it is fine.

Good luck with it!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #7927
GlennF33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Thanks kewlbyme. I feel better about my original assumption about the main jet. No matter what the symptoms are I tend to assume the worst. "loosing power.....oh no lost compression, spun a bearing, ran her out of oil, flat rear tire.....no just running out of gas "...petcock to reserve and motor on.

Going to re-jet with a 130 main jet, 42.5 pilot. ProCycle suggest this as a starting point. But is that a good starting point at sea level? I have done the z-mod and removed the snorkel. Any suggestions?

Question for those who use the fender bag on the front. I got mine in before last weekends little trip. In it I put two tubes, and two tire irons. I found that with that little bit of weight the finder was kissing the front tire all weekend. Those of you that use that finder bag, what did you do about the finder hitting the front wheel? Or is there just something wrong with my finder? Is there a stiffener or something? Could just chop off the front so it doesn't hang so close, but before I do something drastic I thought I would ask.
I have the #130 main, #42.5 pilot, and fuel screw turned out to 3 turns from bottomed. Z1 muffler mod, Uni filter and half snorkel. I am at 1200 ft, and bike runs perfect.
GlennF33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #7928
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennF33 View Post
I have the #130 main, #42.5 pilot, and fuel screw turned out to 3 turns from bottomed. Z1 muffler mod, Uni filter and half snorkel. I am at 1200 ft, and bike runs perfect.
What is the half snorkel thing?

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #7929
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
I trimmed 3" off of mine now it only hit very slightly on bigger impacts

thought about making a stiffener for it but just never got around to it
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #7930
gbacque
Adventurer

The snorkel is just pulled out, but I'm going to cut the bottom of and stick it back in. Too much trash falling in the box as it is.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #7931
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
On my DR, it wasn't the weight of the fender bag; when ttightening the straps the fender bent down a little bit.

The XT like my DR, has a fender that hangs low in the front, great for keeping the tire from throwing water UP into your line of travel. I just cut an inch off the fender, test rode, cut another inch, etc. The longer you can leave the fender, the drier you'll be. It still makes quite a racket on those bumpy downhills with a lot of front brake, crushing the front suspension. But with the direction of tire rotation, there's no chance anything will snag and drop me. On a recent wet ride, the splash line was right at the top of my headlight.

I stopped here:

Sometimes the fender isn't the problem.
Fifty miles from home, mesh coat, mesh pants, 9000 feet altitude and no raingear.

Be sure to get one big enough to fit over your riding gear and hydration. You want to be able to put it on in a hurry, cause guys always wait until it's too late. I got caught in 3 'soakers' this summer, not a problem.

Feex'd:

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #7932
J5k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Today's mod.. TTR 225 fender and smaller signal lights. Work in progress for sure, in the "after" pic, I still need to find a brake light that fits the space available as well as a license plate light. I also want to get the line of the fender to match that of the seat (and eliminate the gap between the end of the seat and the start of the fender).
Before:

After:

The image is a bit misleading. The signal lights extrude about 1/4" past the passenger grab handles. Compared to the stock lights yes they're smaller, but a LOT brighter.
J5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #7933
J5k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Here's a better pic showing the lines I want to match between the seat and fender.
J5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #7934
gbacque
Adventurer

fixed

quick update. Jet was clogged. Was able to just blow it out but replaced the main with the 130 anyway and set the A/F mixture to 3 turns. There was all kinds of crap in the bottom of the bowl. Added an inline fuel filter while I was at it. Should help prevent this from happening again.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #7935
gbacque
Adventurer

Thumb Pro Cycle

Plug for the procycle site. It seams like they are adding things every week for the XT225. When I first got my bike they had like 8 things for it. Now they have everything from rims to bars. So if it's been a while sense you checked out the site give them a look. No I don't work there. Just an observation.

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/xt225.html