User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #7936
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Clutch question and leaking oil update

Hello Everyone, my 2000 has 32,000 km's on it, the clutch grabs just fine, so I am not looking at replacing any part of it yet, but I was curious as to what leads to the lever feeling completely "unsprung". It has little actual "spring" to it, and I question as to whether it is the springs in the basket assembly, or the cable return spring that sits outside the engine itself. Any thoughts?
As far as what I had thought was oil leaking from the case, as it urns out, thanks to another inmate's advice, and some previous posts, the CounterShaft oil seal was the culprit to the leak! Problem solved, now to replace the valve cover seals!
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #7937
gbacque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
Hello Everyone, my 2000 has 32,000 km's on it, the clutch grabs just fine, so I am not looking at replacing any part of it yet, but I was curious as to what leads to the lever feeling completely "unsprung". It has little actual "spring" to it, and I question as to whether it is the springs in the basket assembly, or the cable return spring that sits outside the engine itself. Any thoughts?
As far as what I had thought was oil leaking from the case, as it urns out, thanks to another inmate's advice, and some previous posts, the CounterShaft oil seal was the culprit to the leak! Problem solved, now to replace the valve cover seals!
Is the cable itself sliding freely? Unhook it from the clutch side and make sure its not hung up or otherwise bound up somewhere. While it's unhooked make sure the lever on the clutch side is returning correctly without the additional drag of the cable. One of the two has to be acting up.
gbacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #7938
jhunt87
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Passenger Foot Pegs & XT225.com

This is my first post, but I have spent a few months browsing this thread and the rest of the forum. I have really enjoyed all of the information, pictures, and advice. 2 things I could use a hand with.

1. Passenger foot pegs. The previous owner removed them. Does anyone have a set they would like to sell or know where to buy them?

2. I signed up for an account at XT225.com a few months ago. When I log in and try to view threads, send pm's, or anything for that matter, I get an error that says access denied. This leaves me unable to reach out to a moderator for help lol. Could someone contact a moderator on my behalf? The user name is the same, jhunt87. Thanks!
jhunt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #7939
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,512
^ XT225.com site owners email:
scott@muniac.com
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #7940
jhunt87
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
^ XT225.com site owners email:
scott@muniac.com
Thanks!
jhunt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #7941
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbacque View Post
quick update. Jet was clogged. Was able to just blow it out but replaced the main with the 130 anyway and set the A/F mixture to 3 turns. There was all kinds of crap in the bottom of the bowl. Added an inline fuel filter while I was at it. Should help prevent this from happening again.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Did you change the pilot jet to 42.5 while you we're in there and changing the main?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #7942
gbacque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlbyme View Post
Did you change the pilot jet to 42.5 while you we're in there and changing the main?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Actually no. I wanted to, but the pilot jet is buggered up. The slot in it broke. I'm going to have to drill it out to replace that one so I left it as is. I was thinking get a left hand tap and thread into it a bit then use a small screw (or the tap) to turn it out. Unless someone has a better way to remove a jet with no slot left for a screwdriver. Little worried about drilling on a carb.
gbacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #7943
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
AKsteve had this problem on his DR650 back in July.

Here's his post:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=67108

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #7944
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Yep, that ought to do it. I would soak it good with wd40 and let it sit a bit. Normally the pilot is easy in and out. If someone over tightened it and messed up the slot that bad, well, you never know, I guess. Just carefully stay in the middle and it should back out. Then clean up everything to eliminate the shavings.

Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
Old 11-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #7945
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,689
silly kroil is better.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #7946
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
silly kroil is better.
Sure it is. So is PB Blaster, Marvel Mystery Oil and many others. Chances are, there is already a can of wd40 in the garage. Chances are, wd40 will work just fine.

silly

2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
Old 11-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #7947
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,689
You are right. Give 'er a tap with a hammer+punch while you are at it.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #7948
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,773
Pissed O-ring update.

I replaced the moose racing top end gasket kit O-ring in the camchain cover on the head of my XT with the OEM O-ring. It turns out the moose o-ring was too skinny, so it was the same as not having any o-ring at all.

Oh well. No leaks now.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #7949
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
I'm not familiar with the Shinko 241's but between the Shinko 244's and Kenda 270's, my vote is for the Shinko 244's all the way. Here's my comparison.

I've ran the Kenda 270's before and I used to like them, but they are either a love or hate relationship. The biggest problem with them is that their side knobs are soft and flex when you get over on them on pavement, so this can make the tires seem squimry. It's definitely worse on larger bikes, but still affects even the smaller XT's.

Since I have found the Shinko 244's, I won't run the Kenda's again. They are almost direct copies of the Kenda 270's and are cheaper to buy, but they redesigned the side knobs to be more substantial and they don't flex like the 270's do. A win/win!! Their beefier knobs gives them a more sure footed feel when you get over on the side knobs in the twisties.

Here's a direct comparison of both tires. That is a Shinko 244 on the left and Kenda 270 on the right. You can see the larger side knobs which I cannot bend with my finger where I can on the Kenda's. You can also see the knobs just in a bit from the sides are also a bit larger on the Shinko's and go all the way to the edge every 2 knobs which gives you more stability there too.

A well worn Kenda 270 on the right and a new Shinko 244 replacement on the left

A close up of the side knobs. See those little bitty side knobs. That is what makes the kenda 270's so squirmy. They give so easily.

I just mounted a Shinko 244, after reading this post. It has great traction, but feels a little looser on the really tight paved curves compared to the IRC GP-1 I had last. Most people probably wouldn't notice it, but I live in a very mountainous area. This is a great tire for the riding I do. The price is great too.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #7950
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
I replaced the moose racing top end gasket kit O-ring in the camchain cover on the head of my XT with the OEM O-ring. It turns out the moose o-ring was too skinny, so it was the same as not having any o-ring at all.

Oh well. No leaks now.
That's EXACTLY what I did this summer. Please let Moose Racing know if you haven't already. When I did they said it's the first such report they'd ever had. They bent over backwards to ship me replacements (twice thanks to US Post Office nazis). Moose cares. Let 'em know so they can fix a systemic problem. Thanks. :)