Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #8011
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
xt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
Here's a low miles XT250 for $2900 in San Diego...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/3430389760.html
Hey CC,

Thought about looking at that one myself but bought a 95 dr350 with goodies, tank, ricors, new tires, sprockets, chain,
rack. Something between my tw,xt and dr. To big, to small syndrome.

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #8012
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2Street View Post
Hey everyone, I've had my XT for about 6 months now and I absolutely LOVE it!
I'm looking to get a little more power out of it? So if I only removed the part of the snorkel on the inside of the airbox would I still have to re-jet it? Everything on the bike is completely stock right now. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
dont do it. it'll just be louder and leaner , and your too lean already from the factory.

jetting should be your first priority, but if you bent on doing something quick and easy then the z1 mod might be okay without rejet...not sure. Like i said, jetting needs fixed first.
Quote:
I'm okay with the noise change.. :p
So there really isn't anything I can do without rejetting it..? I don't have the experince to do it. I mean, I can work on them and all but rejetting has been the only thing I've never had to do.
There is just not a lot of hidden power there to find. Yes you can do everything to make it run smoother, better and snappier for what it is, but there arent even 10% more ponies in there.

I know I am preaching to the choir, but the engineers that design these bikes do a pretty good job. They have to deal with govt regs crap, like emissions and safety switches to protect us from ourselves AND make a bike that is dependable and ride worthy. Compromises. They do a pretty awesome job. Whatever the bike platform, we can effect it a small percentage, but if we do too much trying to make a bike something it is not, we screw something else about it up.

Everything is a balance. I think most would agree that most carb bikes probably come from the factory in a lean condition, maybe to help meet emissions requirements. To me, that means we have to get a little more gas into the existing flow to correct that. If you just "open up the airbox", that just makes it more lean. Wrong direction.

What little bit of extra power hidden in there is usually released by giving the flow more gas. More gas generally equals more power. You wont get more power by giving it less fuel. Well, remember the balance. Gas is mixed with air in proper sized proportions and bites, then the exhaust is pushed out. To release the small amount of power that may be in there, you have to give it more gas AND more air to retain the proportions. Well, more gas and air yields more exhaust. The stock exhaust is designed to remain quiet and suppress sparks while letting out the exhaust created by the stock amount of gas and air. If you give it more gas and air, you have to allow a corresponding increase of exhaust to be pushed out with a more open after market exhaust.or drill out the stock exhaust to allow more exhaust gasses to escape. Balance and proportion.

So, when folks go for broke for all the available power that a particular bike can possibly create, they "open 'er up". Both ends and in the middle. Thus, bigger jets to let more gas in, less restrictive airbox to let in more air to mix with the more gas, and an aftermarket or drilled out stock exhaust that will allow the increased exhaust gasses to escape.

All in proportion.

I like stock and quiet exhausts and airboxes. Yes, an opened airbox is irritatingly loud too. Yet I dont want my bike to be lean nor rich (although that changes with atmospheric pressure, altitude, humidity, etc), and I want it to have a responsive throttle and all the power it was designed to have before the govt screwed around with it.

So, HERE is my solution over on the specialty site. I slightly increased my jet sizes to allow a little more gas. Theoretically, to overcome the govt mandated factory lean condition at my elevation. Stock airbox and exhaust.

And, dont forget a nice clean carb is better. And dont forget to mess with the pilot screw to fine tune low rpm response.

I am VERY happy with the results.

So, please, no. Dont just open up your airbox..
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #8013
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlbyme View Post
There is just not a lot of hidden power there to find. Yes you can do everything to make it run smoother, better and snappier for what it is, but there arent even 10% more ponies in there.

I know I am preaching to the choir, but the engineers that design these bikes do a pretty good job. They have to deal with govt regs crap, like emissions and safety switches to protect us from ourselves AND make a bike that is dependable and ride worthy. Compromises. They do a pretty awesome job. Whatever the bike platform, we can effect it a small percentage, but if we do too much trying to make a bike something it is not, we screw something else about it up.

Everything is a balance. I think most would agree that most carb bikes probably come from the factory in a lean condition, maybe to help meet emissions requirements. To me, that means we have to get a little more gas into the existing flow to correct that. If you just "open up the airbox", that just makes it more lean. Wrong direction.

What little bit of extra power hidden in there is usually released by giving the flow more gas. More gas generally equals more power. You wont get more power by giving it less fuel. Well, remember the balance. Gas is mixed with air in proper sized proportions and bites, then the exhaust is pushed out. To release the small amount of power that may be in there, you have to give it more gas AND more air to retain the proportions. Well, more gas and air yields more exhaust. The stock exhaust is designed to remain quiet and suppress sparks while letting out the exhaust created by the stock amount of gas and air. If you give it more gas and air, you have to allow a corresponding increase of exhaust to be pushed out with a more open after market exhaust.or drill out the stock exhaust to allow more exhaust gasses to escape. Balance and proportion.

So, when folks go for broke for all the available power that a particular bike can possibly create, they "open 'er up". Both ends and in the middle. Thus, bigger jets to let more gas in, less restrictive airbox to let in more air to mix with the more gas, and an aftermarket or drilled out stock exhaust that will allow the increased exhaust gasses to escape.

All in proportion.

I like stock and quiet exhausts and airboxes. Yes, an opened airbox is irritatingly loud too. Yet I dont want my bike to be lean nor rich (although that changes with atmospheric pressure, altitude, humidity, etc), and I want it to have a responsive throttle and all the power it was designed to have before the govt screwed around with it.

So, HERE is my solution over on the specialty site. I slightly increased my jet sizes to allow a little more gas. Theoretically, to overcome the govt mandated factory lean condition at my elevation. Stock airbox and exhaust.

And, dont forget a nice clean carb is better. And dont forget to mess with the pilot screw to fine tune low rpm response.

Hello,

+1 on all you said.
On my first xt did all of the mods.
Likes: No more popping sounds, a little smoother, a little more power.
Dislikes; Louder, 60 mpg instead of 75. No likee.

Next xt just a little bigger jet and 2.5 turns out.
Like: very quiet, no more popping, smoother, 75 mpg. can't tell power difference.
Dislikes; None
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #8014
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,

+1 on all you said.
On my first xt did all of the mods.
Likes: No more popping sounds, a little smoother, a little more power.
Dislikes; Louder, 60 mpg instead of 75. No likee.

Next xt just a little bigger jet and 2.5 turns out.
Like: very quiet, no more popping, smoother, 75 mpg. can't tell power difference.
Dislikes; None
My experience duplicates yours. I have done the same with both my xt's with identical results.

Mine popped like a popcorn machine. Almost always an indication of lean. My 03 was terribly neglected before I rescued it, so just a good cleaning of the carb and jet orifices helped a lot. Then the larger main and pilot really solved all the issues as you describe.

I am running a 127.5 main, a 42.5 pilot with 2.75 turns out on the pilot adjust screw. They run awesomely!. They start easily, fast warm up and snappy over all. Throttle response is great at all rpm's and when I close the throttle, the rpms fall right to idle as they should. No more of that hanging high rpm crap.

I hesitate to say that it increased the power. I think they just run like they are supposed to now. So, I guess back to regular power from crippled power sure feels like an increase.

I cannot overstate the difference from when I got them and how pleased I am with the way they run now.
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #8015
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
I understanding wanting what you cannot have, but there a some nice bikes they sell there that never made it here. I think the NX4 or XR250 are good choices. Did Honda sell the Bros in a 250? Yamaha's XTZ250 looks like a fine choice also.
Thanks to everybody who has comment on my dilemma, I knew this guy was talking lies! and maybe the price is for barganning, still it was too high.

This bikes you mentions are very cool, I had a XR250 Tornado and the bros 125 from honda, and the 250 Lander from Yamaha are fine bikes, just one problem, they are too tall! so the xt225 or 250 that don't come here are shorter... I know i know! the Falcon NX400 is as tall as my KLR650 but that is now what I want in my 2nd bike.

Since I can't buy a bike now I will continue to shop in craiglist

Gracias!!!

Damasovi
Old 12-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #8016
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlbyme View Post

All in proportion.

I guess I never really thought about it that way. I knew they came lean..I think i just got a bit ahead of myself in wanting it to have a different sound and wasn't thinking about the air-to-gas mixture. THANKS A LOT for stopping me from doing something soo stupid. Jets will definitely be first!
Dirt2Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #8017
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,692
I am working on installing heated grips.

Switch bracket:

Installed on bike:

I made sure to clearance the back of the bracket so that it sits nice and flat on the clamp:

I haven't started on the heating elements yet, since I want to ride the bike today.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #8018
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Quote:
I guess I never really thought about it that way. I knew they came lean..I think i just got a bit ahead of myself in wanting it to have a different sound and wasn't thinking about the air-to-gas mixture. THANKS A LOT for stopping me from doing something soo stupid. Jets will definitely be first!
My pleasure, my friend. Not stupid at all. If you have never messed with this stuff, how would you know? This stuff is not hard, you can do it if I can. I am no guru by any measure. Just read here and over at the other site. If you cant find a clear answer, feel free to ask. Someone will know.

If you are going to do the exhaust and airbox mods, most start with a 130 main and 42.5 pilot. Some use 135/45. I like JetsRus for jets. Just clean the carb good while you are at it.
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
Old 12-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #8019
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
I am working on installing heated grips.

Switch bracket:

Installed on bike:

I made sure to clearance the back of the bracket so that it sits nice and flat on the clamp:

I haven't started on the heating elements yet, since I want to ride the bike today.
Is there enough power for head grips out of our little bikes? I worry about putting anymore strain on the electrical then I have to...

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #8020
nuggets
Fries with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
Is there enough power for head grips out of our little bikes? I worry about putting anymore strain on the electrical then I have to...
I don't have any signals, so I have a little less power draw than normal. I think it will be fine. I might switch the taillight to LED also.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #8021
BroncoDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,218
What is the output on a 01 ?
BroncoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #8022
nuggets
Fries with that?

Got my rear brake a little hot last night.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #8023
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Airbox slider question

[QUOTE=nuggets;20161782]Got my rear brake a little hot last night.
Ouch, I've done the same thing, didn't seem to do any long term harm, however.

Like others have posted previously, I am really happy leaving this bike mostly stock. According to me, and looking at the plug, this bike is running really well. My only concern is how at altitude, when in really warm temperatures, the bike hiccups at 2/3 throttle and up at highway speeds. This leads me to believe the mixture is too rich at this point. I know that on this thread there is a link to a company that has air box sliders that allow you to lean down your mixture. Does anybody recall the company, and has anybody used one on these bikes? It seems like a really smart idea.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #8024
Dirtdeville
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Air box liders

I have never used them but the company that sells the dial-a-jet also sells the air box sliding door mod.If you google dial-a-jet it should come up.
Dirtdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #8025
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdeville View Post
If you google dial-a-jet it should come up.

http://www.thunderproducts.com/tpi_valve.htm

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote