ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #8116
pnw
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 100
factory service manual and owner's manual

Thanks for the PM’s regarding the manuals. I ended up buying the electronic version of the factory manual and supplements from green manuals on eBay. It includes the owner’s manual and everything is printable and cost only $7something which is pretty close to free. They send a CD but you can also download it from their site which I did. I guess I’ll just print pages as I need them so it will be OK but I sort of miss just flipping through pages and tossing a book on a chair.
pnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #8117
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 2,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw View Post
Thanks for the PM’s regarding the manuals. I ended up buying the electronic version of the factory manual and supplements from green manuals on eBay. It includes the owner’s manual and everything is printable and cost only $7something which is pretty close to free. They send a CD but you can also download it from their site which I did. I guess I’ll just print pages as I need them so it will be OK but I sort of miss just flipping through pages and tossing a book on a chair.

Don't worry, you probably won't need it for much more than checking the valve clearance & the spark plug model number. That's all I've used mine for so far.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #8118
operaflute
Starving Artist
 
operaflute's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Okay, so there are a million models of bikes. Has anyone figured out what other bike-model saddlebag frames also fit our XT225s?
I have Ranger Dirt-Bagz/rack and am very happy with them. Not too terribly pricey, either. The XT225 is on their drop down list of models on the order page. Not sure if that answers your question, or if you are specifically looking for a rack designed for a different model that also fits the XT.
__________________
Clicky for Ride Reports (and other things): Eating On Two Wheels
operaflute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #8119
maverick1
Adventurer
 
maverick1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Lake Elsinore, CA
Oddometer: 31
Ok, I picked up a used XT 225 today, a 2001 model and now I have a few questions.
First, I'd like to change the engine oil and filter, and read that these bike takes 10-w40. Can I use full synthetic10-w40?
When doing an oil change do I need to get new gaskets for the oil filter and a new drain plug crush washer, or can they be reused?
Also thinking about changing the brake fluid, anyone know what type is needed/procedure?

I plan on doing mostly off road rides, can someone let me know what tools I need to carry with me so I don't get stuck on the trail?
I'll start...spare spark plug and spark plug wrench....
Looking forward to hitting the trails.
cheers
maverick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #8120
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer
 
woofer2609's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Extreme Pacific SouthWest (of Canada)
Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
Ok, I picked up a used XT 225 today, a 2001 model and now I have a few questions.
First, I'd like to change the engine oil and filter, and read that these bike takes 10-w40. Can I use full synthetic10-w40?
When doing an oil change do I need to get new gaskets for the oil filter and a new drain plug crush washer, or can they be reused?
Also thinking about changing the brake fluid, anyone know what type is needed/procedure?

I plan on doing mostly off road rides, can someone let me know what tools I need to carry with me so I don't get stuck on the trail?
I'll start...spare spark plug and spark plug wrench....
Looking forward to hitting the trails.
cheers
10w 40 full synthetic should be fine, I'm pretty sure there isn't a crush washer on the drain plug, I've always just tightened to spec ( 7.1ft/lb's IIRC) and never had an issue. Just check the condition of the o-ring on both the drain plug and oil filter cover New o-rings are usually not needed, there are no gaskets. Both DOT 3 or 4 are fine for brakes.

I carry this in the black cordura multi pocketed tool kit:
10mm x 1/4" socket
12, 13,14, 15, 18mm x 3/8" sockets
5 and 6mm Allen bolt sockets
Full set of 1.5-10mm Allen Wrenches
Multi tool/knife
Multi bit screwdriver
Zip ties
Duct tape on 18mm socket
Lock nut/spoke wrench
8-10mm open ended wrench
Crescent wrench
Various cotter and widgeon pins
missing chain link
spark plug wrench
spare key
elbow socket
4" extension bar
double headed short handle 3/8" and 1/4" ratchet
Box of spare allen and hex bolts
hose clamps
ear plugs
registration
inner tube patch kit

In another tool tube I carry:




2 tire irons
2 motion pro tire spoons
zip ties
clutch lever
brake lever
aluminum spray tube of Windex
bicycle air pump (not pictured, but in tool tube)

Above the headlight on the cowling I have mounted a small bag that carries two replacement tubes and a tire gauge.

I have never been at a loss for tools.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #8121
Tom S
Can I ride it?
 
Tom S's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Oddometer: 4,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
Can I use full synthetic10-w40?
Make sure it's motorcycle oil unless you want to kill your clutch plates.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #8122
Tom S
Can I ride it?
 
Tom S's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Oddometer: 4,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
I have never been at a loss for tools.
Going on a round the world trip?
How much of that stuff did you ever have to use?
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #8123
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost
 
Crazy Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Soaking up the Southern Californian Sun.
Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
10w 40 full synthetic should be fine, I'm pretty sure there isn't a crush washer on the drain plug, I've always just tightened to spec ( 7.1ft/lb's IIRC) and never had an issue. Just check the condition of the o-ring on both the drain plug and oil filter cover New o-rings are usually not needed, there are no gaskets. Both DOT 3 or 4 are fine for brakes.

I carry this in the black cordura multi pocketed tool kit:
10mm x 1/4" socket
12, 13,14, 15, 18mm x 3/8" sockets
5 and 6mm Allen bolt sockets
Full set of 1.5-10mm Allen Wrenches
Multi tool/knife
Multi bit screwdriver
Zip ties
Duct tape on 18mm socket
Lock nut/spoke wrench
8-10mm open ended wrench
Crescent wrench
Various cotter and widgeon pins
missing chain link
spark plug wrench
spare key
elbow socket
4" extension bar
double headed short handle 3/8" and 1/4" ratchet
Box of spare allen and hex bolts
hose clamps
ear plugs
registration
inner tube patch kit

In another tool tube I carry:




2 tire irons
2 motion pro tire spoons
zip ties
clutch lever
brake lever
aluminum spray tube of Windex
bicycle air pump (not pictured, but in tool tube)

Above the headlight on the cowling I have mounted a small bag that carries two replacement tubes and a tire gauge.

I have never been at a loss for tools.
I feel very unprepared now... I carry 1/8 of that tool list...
__________________
I've learned to give "impossible" the finger as I pass it by.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #8124
maverick1
Adventurer
 
maverick1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Lake Elsinore, CA
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
10w 40 full synthetic should be fine, I'm pretty sure there isn't a crush washer on the drain plug, I've always just tightened to spec ( 7.1ft/lb's IIRC) and never had an issue. Just check the condition of the o-ring on both the drain plug and oil filter cover New o-rings are usually not needed, there are no gaskets. Both DOT 3 or 4 are fine for brakes.

I carry this in the black cordura multi pocketed tool kit:
10mm x 1/4" socket
12, 13,14, 15, 18mm x 3/8" sockets
5 and 6mm Allen bolt sockets
Full set of 1.5-10mm Allen Wrenches
Multi tool/knife
Multi bit screwdriver
Zip ties
Duct tape on 18mm socket
Lock nut/spoke wrench
8-10mm open ended wrench
Crescent wrench
Various cotter and widgeon pins
missing chain link
spark plug wrench
spare key
elbow socket
4" extension bar
double headed short handle 3/8" and 1/4" ratchet
Box of spare allen and hex bolts
hose clamps
ear plugs
registration
inner tube patch kit

In another tool tube I carry:




2 tire irons
2 motion pro tire spoons
zip ties
clutch lever
brake lever
aluminum spray tube of Windex
bicycle air pump (not pictured, but in tool tube)

Above the headlight on the cowling I have mounted a small bag that carries two replacement tubes and a tire gauge.

I have never been at a loss for tools.
Thanks so much for that. Looks like I need to buy lots of tools and a rack for the back to hold them.

I'm also a Canadian in Socal, from the Toronto area. Could not handle the winter cold any longer.
I picked up the oil, new oil filter and the necessary o-rings.
I noticed that the oil filter is a new type to me, it's made of a metal mesh rather than paper.
I read that some people re-use their old oil filters.
What is the best way to clean the used oil filters. I've read that some use varsol, or gasoline, some use wd-40. What about using brake cleaner to clean the old oil filters?
The bike is used and the seller did not have a copy of the owners manual.
Is there any where online that I can download the owners manual?
maverick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #8125
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost
 
Crazy Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Soaking up the Southern Californian Sun.
Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
Thanks so much for that. Looks like I need to buy lots of tools and a rack for the back to hold them.

I'm also a Canadian in Socal, from the Toronto area. Could not handle the winter cold any longer.
I picked up the oil, new oil filter and the necessary o-rings.
I noticed that the oil filter is a new type to me, it's made of a metal mesh rather than paper.
I read that some people re-use their old oil filters.
What is the best way to clean the used oil filters. I've read that some use varsol, or gasoline, some use wd-40. What about using brake cleaner to clean the old oil filters?
The bike is used and the seller did not have a copy of the owners manual.
Is there any where online that I can download the owners manual?
You following me?

I am from Toronto as well... I must warn you I have a no stalking policy... Unless you are a hot chick! So are you from actual Toronto or just say Toronto because no one has heard of anything else around there? Met a girl last week from North Bay who says Toronto because no one knows where North Bay is...

Anyhow we do not live too far apart and should get together for some brews and riding... Maybe riding then brews to be safe!
__________________
I've learned to give "impossible" the finger as I pass it by.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #8126
maverick1
Adventurer
 
maverick1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Lake Elsinore, CA
Oddometer: 31
Technically "Mississauga" but who knows Mississauga, unless you're a native Indian.
Regarding riding, my philosophy is the more the merrier.
cheers
maverick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #8127
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost
 
Crazy Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Soaking up the Southern Californian Sun.
Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
Technically "Mississauga" but who knows Mississauga, unless you're a native Indian.
Regarding riding, my philosophy is the more the merrier.
cheers
My little brother and his wife live out that direction... I couldn't take the cold or I would move back. I miss Toronto because so other city can really compete with the overall package there if you exclude weather...
__________________
I've learned to give "impossible" the finger as I pass it by.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #8128
pnw
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 100
Yamaha owner's manual link

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Welcome! Here's a link to Yamaha's website where you can download the owner's manual for a '98 XT225. You'll have to fill in the drop down boxes for "Product Line,"--use Motorcycle, "Year"--use 1998, and model. That's the nearest year to your model. I don't know what the differences are, but I don't think they are too great and should get you started on things like adjusting the rear shock, oil changes, chain tension, etc.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/se....aspx?ls=sport

Good luck.

Here is the link for the free Yamaha owner's manual download, not printable if that matters to you. You can buy printable electronic versions on Ebay and probably from other sellers.

On a seperate note - I got my Shinko 244s, 4.6x18 for rear and 2.75x21 for front. The 4.6 looks significantly wider than the stock 120/80 (at least unmounted). It looks more like the width of the 110/90 on my DR350, this tire size thing is a bit confusing. Anyone think the Shinko 4.10 would be better on the XT, I need a new rear for my DR so I might use the 4.6 on that bike but I see some think 5.1 is better for the DR. I probably will be OK with the 4.6 on the XT but don't wan't too detract from performance on the little 225, jam mud between the tire and swingarm or bog down the handling with a too big tire.
pnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #8129
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 2,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw View Post
Here is the link for the free Yamaha owner's manual download, not printable if that matters to you. You can buy printable electronic versions on Ebay and probably from other sellers.

On a seperate note - I got my Shinko 244s, 4.6x18 for rear and 2.75x21 for front. The 4.6 looks significantly wider than the stock 120/80 (at least unmounted). It looks more like the width of the 110/90 on my DR350, this tire size thing is a bit confusing. Anyone think the Shinko 4.10 would be better on the XT, I need a new rear for my DR so I might use the 4.6 on that bike but I see some think 5.1 is better for the DR. I probably will be OK with the 4.6 on the XT but don't wan't too detract from performance on the little 225, jam mud between the tire and swingarm or bog down the handling with a too big tire.

I recently mounted a Shinko 244 on the rear and am pretty sure that it's a 4.60. It fits fine and is a great tire. (I'll double check when I head up to my shop & make certain it's a 4.60) The little XT225 makes most tires look big, but it fits fine.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #8130
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker
 
kewlbyme's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Woodstock, GA
Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw View Post
Here is the link for the free Yamaha owner's manual download, not printable if that matters to you. You can buy printable electronic versions on Ebay and probably from other sellers.

On a seperate note - I got my Shinko 244s, 4.6x18 for rear and 2.75x21 for front. The 4.6 looks significantly wider than the stock 120/80 (at least unmounted). It looks more like the width of the 110/90 on my DR350, this tire size thing is a bit confusing. Anyone think the Shinko 4.10 would be better on the XT, I need a new rear for my DR so I might use the 4.6 on that bike but I see some think 5.1 is better for the DR. I probably will be OK with the 4.6 on the XT but don't wan't too detract from performance on the little 225, jam mud between the tire and swingarm or bog down the handling with a too big tire.
I have a 4.6 on my 2003. The 244 fits fine and hooks up better than most 50/50 tires I have tried. It seems to clean itself pretty well and I have had no restrictive build up. I guess really sticky mud would be an issue as it would for any other tire but I have had no problem like that with the 4.6 244, so far. My 2001 has.....something else on it and doesnt do nearly as well. I take the 2003 with the 244's if I am going into the woods.

Mounted with 244's, with 4.6 on the rear and 2.75 on the front.

__________________
2001 XT225
2003 XT225
2005 DL650 - Sold
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014