Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #8236
deodom
Old Racer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasanito View Post
What would be the best tire for mostly on-road riding, on Serow?
I was thinking of Shinko-705 but don't have any experience with those

Cheers
I have them on my 225, and they are OK. Since I am mostly using my bike on tarmac right now, I fitted them instead of the knobbies I have always run. Pretty quiet, and OK so far with about a thousand miles on them.
Doug
Old 12-22-2012, 04:04 AM   #8237
wesdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Mirror replacement

I dropped the bike yesterday and ripped a mirror off. Anybody have a preference on aftermarket fold ups?
wesdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:06 AM   #8238
Travis28715
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:

Cheers
I installed the 705s on my 225. Very quiet and for the money, hard to beat. Still have enough lug for occasional maintained trail use.

Travis
Travis28715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:15 AM   #8239
Travis28715
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdawg View Post
I dropped the bike yesterday and ripped a mirror off. Anybody have a preference on aftermarket fold ups?
First off.. Kudos for you for wanting to ride in this wind but give these guys a look:
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/xt225.html#bodyframe

Is it still blowing down your way?

Travis
Travis28715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:19 AM   #8240
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
Steve, thanks for posting, hadn't seen those articles.

I heard when Santa hits the BX, he's packing.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #8241
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
We ended up getting the shock from that bike, it blew up a few times and the original suspension shop could not make it work. We tried to rework the stock body so that it would not blow up but were unsuccessful. To me it looked like machining on the body that was done to make it rebuildable was the issue. We then built Dan a shock like we just finished for Steve and that one held up fine until Dan sold the bike. It also performed better. There were some articles re that also. http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/pro...cue-53177.html

NC Rick screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 06:50 AM
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #8242
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis28715 View Post
First off.. Kudos for you for wanting to ride in this wind but give these guys a look:
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/xt225.html#bodyframe

Is it still blowing down your way?

Travis

I'd like to upgrade the mirrors on my XT225 too. I bought one of the KTM type mirrors (with a longer arm) from the guy who sells them on here for my WR450. I just got one for the left side to see if I liked it before buying one for the right side. I do really like it. The glass is large and the optics are top quality. The longer arm is great, but it cost a little more. The length is 280mm vs 243mm (37mm = 1.45 inches), so something to consider. The longer ones are $36 each, which isn't bad, but the Procycle regulars are only $23 each....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357336

GlennR screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 07:50 AM
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #8243
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
We ended up getting the shock from that bike, it blew up a few times and the original suspension shop could not make it work. We tried to rework the stock body so that it would not blow up but were unsuccessful. To me it looked like machining on the body that was done to make it rebuildable was the issue. We then built Dan a shock like we just finished for Steve and that one held up fine until Dan sold the bike. It also performed better. There were some articles re that also. http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/pro...cue-53177.html

Rick,
What's the price for that sweet shock?
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #8244
pnw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlbyme View Post
When I acquired my 2003 in August, I went to see and ride the bike. Saw some of the issues, suspected others. Guy was asking $1600. I hemmed and hawed, finally told him I didnt want to insult him with my offer. He said go ahead and I said i couldnt go over $1200 with all the issues. He said "i'll think about it". I drove off and got about 10 minutes away when he called and said come get it. Frankly, I still paid $200 too much, but all is well now and the bike is pretty good.

You never know about folks.

That sounds like one of the really nice deals that I never saw locally. Around here an asking price of $1200 was some pitiful looking early ’90s trash that I wouldn’t have taken for free unless I wanted some parts. A mid 90s for $800 that the seller never answered text or E-mail message (when contacted the first day of Craigslisting). The xt225 was sort of a compromise anyway, I really was looking for a Super Sherpa but reading this thread and some others it looked like the xt was close and nice enough in its own right. The closest decent looking Sherpa I could find was 600 miles away. Even if I would have been willing to buy sight unseen Uship shipping quotes where around $400.

In order to be of any use the great low price offerings have to be close enough to evaluate and pick up and the seller actually contactable and the bike not sold before you can get it. I was happy enough to get a nice one for $2200 (the asking price was something like $3K which I think was outrageous but I saw one listed that the asking price was $3500, go figure) with no big issues from a solid citizen. Bike not even for me, it was a birthday/Christmas present - but in the end it really was for me because I wanted to be able to do some riding with my son who is in college and has no $ to buy one for himself. It still needed stuff like tires, we are adding grip heaters/relay and switch to cut out headlight and running lights during starting, re-jetting and cleaning carb, it ends up being one of those expensive hobbies, but fun. I have a couple small boats that I spent a lot more money on and that I only have time to use a few times each summer but still think they are worth having, great adventures and memories from using them over the years and the bike(s) will be the same. No more selling my vacation time back to the company, New Years resolution to take it all.
pnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #8245
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post

And he uses pitbulls instead of reindeer!
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #8246
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
That is some great work.
I have been using your upgrade black spring on the stock shock and it works great. There is enough rebound damping on the stock shock to work for what I do.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #8247
OldGypsy
FoolForDirt

Oddometer: 112
Foo Fighter, Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post

I've been searching for part 5. Anybody know what happened?
OldGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #8248
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:

Cheers
Define best.

I rode mostly pavement initially. Lately more gravel, rock, sand and dust. (Currently stationed in Death Valley NP.) I managed to squeeze 23k miles out of Pirelli Scorpion MT90 A/T. The front is still going strong. I just ordered a new rear this week. Upping from 120 to 140 (/80-18). Dennis Kirk has 'em cheaper than than I paid the first time.
https://www.denniskirk.com/540503.sk...FSOnPAodqz4Ahw

FYI, here's a page I put together doing shopping the first time. While some data may be stale it may offer some useful leads to consider.
http://kamperbob.com/xt225tires/
Old 12-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #8249
Maliwal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Well I guess on that note... My hoard has grown since I got my XT, so it's relegated down to day (and night ) Trips up into the mountains now, so my Shinko 705s are a little anemic for the kind of riding the bike is being subjected to. Any suggestions for a damn-good 20 Street / 80 Dirt or so tire set? I don't care if the front and back match. My XT is NOT the prettiest machine out there. I was thinking a full DOT knobby in front and a pirelli MT43 in the rear. Thoughts?
Maliwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #8250
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliwal View Post
Well I guess on that note... My hoard has grown since I got my XT, so it's relegated down to day (and night ) Trips up into the mountains now, so my Shinko 705s are a little anemic for the kind of riding the bike is being subjected to. Any suggestions for a damn-good 20 Street / 80 Dirt or so tire set? I don't care if the front and back match. My XT is NOT the prettiest machine out there. I was thinking a full DOT knobby in front and a pirelli MT43 in the rear. Thoughts?
I used to run PirelliMT16 front and a Kenda TrackmasterII in the rear. It was a good combo for most stuff and totally ok on the street. Not a ton of mileage on the front but I would spin them around after a bit to get a little more life out of them.