Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #8251
wesdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdawg View Post
I dropped the bike yesterday and ripped a mirror off. Anybody have a preference on aftermarket fold ups?
I was at dicks last night and grabbed a bike mirror for $10 that folds up nice... I like to try about 3-4 $10-20 items before I spend the big money! I'll report after I install....
wesdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #8252
wesdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Mirrors and riding....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis28715 View Post
First off.. Kudos for you for wanting to ride in this wind but give these guys a look:
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/xt225.html#bodyframe

Is it still blowing down your way?

Travis
Wind is gone and I wish I had dropped it in the woods... Much better wreck than that...
I've removed all the safety neutral, clutch in, kickstand up garbage for reliability and I was seeing if the bike was in neutral with the starter button. I was on the other side of the bike and didn't notice the kickstand was slowly folding up.... Lol down she went! Genius!
wesdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #8253
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Carb settings

I just bought a 2000 XT225 and am in the process of getting it running right. I'm installing a brand new stock carb and was wondering what adjustments are needed. Such as carb settings. I'm going to pull the plug and do the 3 turn but what about other adjustment screws. The bike I got had a shot carb as the previous owner had cross threaded the pilot jet screw to the point it was hammered beyond repair and screwed all the way in. Instead of trying to repair I bought a new carb that's on its way to me. Thanks.
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #8254
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Backfiring?

Hey all, my XT has been backfiring A LOT lately. Not much more than normal but enough to notice and only with throttle closed. Could it just be the colder weather now that its finally droppin down to about 40-30 degrees? or should I be concerned?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #8255
freewheeler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2Street View Post
Hey all, my XT has been backfiring A LOT lately. Not much more than normal but enough to notice and only with throttle closed. Could it just be the colder weather now that its finally dropping down to about 40-30 degrees? or should I be concerned?
If your bike seems to running right ... then it is probably nothing serious ... probably an exhaust leak ... If it is not running right ... then ... YES it could be something serious ... Like an intake boot leaking or a partially plugged main jet
freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #8256
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeler View Post
If your bike seems to running right ... then it is probably nothing serious ... probably an exhaust leak ... If it is not running right ... then ... YES it could be something serious ... Like an intake boot leaking or a partially plugged main jet
It is running great. I also forgot to mention that the bike is bone stock. I'm talking, I haven't even gotten around to the fuel screw, stock. Could that affect it too? Being too lean?
Old 12-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #8257
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,138
They do run lean, but generally a backfire is some type of air leak, exhaust or intake.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #8258
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
They do run lean, but generally a backfire is some type of air leak, exhaust or intake.
Which effectively makes it more lean. Back firing and popping upon deceleration is a lean condition, no matter why it is lean. The challenge is to figure out why, and address it. A leak, pilot screw, jets, whatever.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #8259
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlbyme View Post
Which effectively makes it more lean. Back firing and popping upon deceleration is a lean condition, no matter why it is lean. The challenge is to figure out why, and address it. A leak, pilot screw, jets, whatever.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Well, this ought to be fun..
Old 12-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #8260
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,023
Quote:
Well, this ought to be fun..
It is easy...Step one start it and spray some carb cleaner around the airbox boot and the intake boot. If the idle changes you have an air leak. If you have a bone stock carb it is not likely a jetting issue, though it could be some dirt in the carb. Go the easy route and buy some Sea-Foam and run it through a tank. You may have some dirt and if you do it might break it up.
If not I wouldn't worry about it the XT is lean from the factory and being colder will make it leaner. Ride it and enjoy it.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #8261
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,023
Decisions...decisions....
I bought another XT project.
Rebuild it:
This one has no title, and the headaches of getting one in NY preclude me from getting one. So I would need to find a titled frame, swap everything over to the new frame, use some parts i have and scrounge the rest up. I do have a complete set of decent bodywork and tank, so no issue there. Either keep it as a backup or sell it.
Part it out:
I need a second set of rims and would have them if I did that. Plus it only has 2,500 miles so I am sure i could get good money for the motor. I want to make a decision this week since I am off and could play with it.

Anyone have a titled frame for sale?

Other issue is look in my garage, not an inch of room Though i did fit it on my lift.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #8262
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Rick,
What's the price for that sweet shock?
Thanks Folks, The shock is $625. We have done a few of them and are working at having a new clevis so that we do not have to use that from the OEM shock. Wont change the price, basically from our side it means exchanging the new production part for the old one + a bunch of additional machining and other custom work. Quality of the end product would be much the same.

Our replacement spring on the OEM shock works well and it is MUCH less expensive.
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #8263
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
It is easy...Step one start it and spray some carb cleaner around the airbox boot and the intake boot. If the idle changes you have an air leak. If you have a bone stock carb it is not likely a jetting issue, though it could be some dirt in the carb. Go the easy route and buy some Sea-Foam and run it through a tank. You may have some dirt and if you do it might break it up.
If not I wouldn't worry about it the XT is lean from the factory and being colder will make it leaner. Ride it and enjoy it.
Had her out again today! That was cold.. About 25 degrees before wind chill, cold. Story for another time, though. So anyway..I ran her a little more gentle today with it being so cold and it was after I sprayed out the airbox with a air compresser and cleaned the filter while I was there. Ran fine, no more backfiring. Whatever it was must have had some christmas spirit and went away without hassle.
Happy Holidays everyone!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #8264
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlbyme View Post
I really like these.

Tusk Mini High Bend Bars - Awesome, make standing excellent. Ordered Here

Tusk Hand Guards - Excellent product! Ordered HERE

Progrip 714 Grips - Ordered HERE . They are good. I also like Progrip 737's, found HERE , which I have used many times and might actually prefer.

Write up and pictures for bars and guards in THIS thread. I am DSCR over there.

Larger pegs from DMO - Pricey but no alternative and an excellent product. Ordered HERE

These made off road MUCH better.

I like'em a lot.
Not sure if I just missed it in the other thread but how much higher are the mini high bend bars compared to stock?
Snow is just about to get here so seems like a good time for all my projects, right?
Old 12-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #8265
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Not sure if I just missed it in the other thread but how much higher are the mini high bend bars compared to stock?
Snow is just about to get here so seems like a good time for all my projects, right?
About this much

Seriously, I had a hard time actually measuring. Functionally, I am thinking about 1.5 to 2"? About the same height as the 2001 with Renthals and risers.

Seen Here

Mini High Bend seen here

I dont have a precise answer.
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote