Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #8386
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdeville View Post
I am also interested in any information you find but I'm a little confused by your post.Are you changing the rear brake size without changing the hub?I bought a TTR225 hub because it has a bigger brake and is ten times thicker in most places-it's still a weak cast aluminum however.I know in advance that I need shorter spokes because the hub itself is larger and I'm getting new rims as well.You said something about the front fitting the rear which really confused me.Here is a link of someone who put a huge disc on the front of a a TW200 if that interests you. http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...mm-brake-disc/
I think someone smarter then me in these subjects should figure out a disc rear conversion for our bikes! Any takers?

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #8387
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdeville View Post
I am also interested in any information you find but I'm a little confused by your post.Are you changing the rear brake size without changing the hub?I bought a TTR225 hub because it has a bigger brake and is ten times thicker in most places-it's still a weak cast aluminum however.I know in advance that I need shorter spokes because the hub itself is larger and I'm getting new rims as well.You said something about the front fitting the rear which really confused me.Here is a link of someone who put a huge disc on the front of a a TW200 if that interests you. http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...mm-brake-disc/
TW's had drums on both ends until 2001. Mine has a later model disc up front and drum rear. The front is adequate (sorta), but in the rear we have twice the rubber on the ground as an XT and bringing it to a halt is even more "interesting" at times.

It's apples and oranges in a way, and probably difficult to follow if you've not seen the hardware.. The TW has a steel hub and the brake drum bolts to it rather than being integral to the hub.. In stock form it uses the same 110mm brakes as an XT, but swapping them is far easier since the TW setup bolts to the drum rather than being laced into i it. The larger 130mm front drum can be bolted to the rear hub, but this calls for a larger diameter backing plate.

The hardware is the same, but different. Due to Yamaha interchangability we share a lot of components of the same dimensions and in a lot of cases the parts are identical. Nearly all the backing plates for a given brake shoe size are dimensionally the same but differ in axle hole diameter and offset of the brake engagement slot.. I've ruled out the XT600 and XT350 backing plates because the holding slot is too far outboard I have four candidates left and wanted to rule the TTR in or out rather than buying all four if I can.

Sorry for taking up so much space with this. I'll return the favor if any of you guys ever need to know how many of our parts will swap with yours

Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #8388
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
Problem solved, got my pics. Thanks for indulging.

If anyone's into it there are pics of the process over on the TW200 thread.

Thanks again.

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 06:33 PM
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #8389
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Winter sucks!
Anyways, if I end up removing the snorkel or putting holes in the airbox cover, do I HAVE to rejet. I mean, is it 100% neccesarry?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #8390
Crazy Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2Street View Post
Winter sucks!
Anyways, if I end up removing the snorkel or putting holes in the airbox cover, do I HAVE to rejet. I mean, is it 100% neccesarry?
Yes unless you want to run crazy lean and risk serious damage.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #8391
Chuffa
TR650 Terra

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
Yes unless you want to run crazy lean and risk serious damage.
Maybe not, if your running slightly rich (unlikely, though that is) you may be fine without a re-jet.

My bike was running ok but some things you've just got to try.
I took the snorkel out & bike improved performance. Put the snorkel back in & the thing bogged & was unridable.
Mine has a mind of it's own!

Had to get a few jets & try them out.
Ended up going a smaller jet than stock. Plenty of km's since without an issue.
Mind you, it's generally warm & dry here.
Chuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #8392
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,871
Talking new bars & pegs

I just installed the large footpegs and Tusk mini high bend handlebars and "Wow!" I can't believe how they transformed the bike. The ergonomics are great. I'm 6' w/ a 32" inseam and the bike feels so much better.

The bike doesn't look & feel like it's undersized anymore. I didn't realize how much of a difference the handlebars would make. The little footpegs had always felt odd, but weren't really a problem on the street. The large footpegs really make the bike feel more capable, agile, and stable on technical woods type riding. I've only played for a few minutes in my "yard" (I live in the woods, on a mountain), but it was immediately apparent. I can't wait to get it out in the rough stuff.

I might just end up putting the 450 on Craigslist!!
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #8393
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Winter sucks!
Not in my experience. Half Pint is my 2006 XT225. Her power train is unviolated right down to the brass plug. At 28,000 miles and counting we lived at -200' (Death Valley) the past two months. To date the highest elevation we've ridden is +10,000' which she pulled in upper gears until road/weather conditions slowed us down. (All averaging 90 +/- 5 mpg BTW.)

Mine appears to be a minority perspective. (shrug)
Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #8394
BroncoDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,208
More help please... first off, I have 2 identical 2001 XTs. When I got them a year ago, they we re both sitting for 4 yrs. Carbs were extremely bad.got them both running well enough to ride. Biggest problem was hard starting and hiccups on road speeds. So now trying to get them to run a little better and have more power. I put 130 jet in one, removed snorkel, went for 40 mile ride. It ran a little better than it did before but not a lot better. I checked spark plug had a nice brown color so jetting should be close. So then I went to second bike....put a 130 jet in it and 42.5 idle jet..left the snorkel in....went for a 1 mile ride,....seemed to rUN good. Has the same hiccup as before and the other bike, they both also tend to idle high when you let off the throttle for a good 5 to 10 seconds. I have tried spraying the intake boots...no signs of leaks. So any help on figuring out why the idle is hanging or the hiccuping would be greatly appreciated...I'm getting frustrated so sorry for the length. The one carb was professionally cleaned so pretty sure no issues with that aspect.
BroncoDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #8395
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Winter sucks!

Yes. The stocker guys get 90mpg by staying stock, which is LEAN LEAN LEAN.

if you mod anything that messes with air/fuel ratio or volume of air thru the system then you need to rejet. YOUR mpg will be 65 after that. Which mine is. And it's the difference is worth it to me for my riding preferences.

Its all about what you do with your bike, how you do it, and what your tolerance is for what i consider poor-azz factory performance.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #8396
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I just installed the large footpegs and Tusk mini high bend handlebars and "Wow!" I can't believe how they transformed the bike. The ergonomics are great. I'm 6' w/ a 32" inseam and the bike feels so much better.

The bike doesn't look & feel like it's undersized anymore. I didn't realize how much of a difference the handlebars would make. The little footpegs had always felt odd, but weren't really a problem on the street. The large footpegs really make the bike feel more capable, agile, and stable on technical woods type riding. I've only played for a few minutes in my "yard" (I live in the woods, on a mountain), but it was immediately apparent. I can't wait to get it out in the rough stuff.

That duplicates my experience. :

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #8397
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoDave View Post
More help please... first off, I have 2 identical 2001 XTs. When I got them a year ago, they we re both sitting for 4 yrs. Carbs were extremely bad.got them both running well enough to ride. Biggest problem was hard starting and hiccups on road speeds. So now trying to get them to run a little better and have more power. I put 130 jet in one, removed snorkel, went for 40 mile ride. It ran a little better than it did before but not a lot better. I checked spark plug had a nice brown color so jetting should be close. So then I went to second bike....put a 130 jet in it and 42.5 idle jet..left the snorkel in....went for a 1 mile ride,....seemed to rUN good. Has the same hiccup as before and the other bike, they both also tend to idle high when you let off the throttle for a good 5 to 10 seconds. I have tried spraying the intake boots...no signs of leaks. So any help on figuring out why the idle is hanging or the hiccuping would be greatly appreciated...I'm getting frustrated so sorry for the length. The one carb was professionally cleaned so pretty sure no issues with that aspect.
The first thing I would do is check for all the O rings in relation to the "black slow circuit thingie" on the side of the carb. The 2 small ones at the top are easy to lose. The 2 bigger ones might need seating better.

If no issues there, I would re clean the carb with focus on the pilot jet and screw orifices. And all the vent orifices.

Both of mine had that issue till I cleaned it very well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #8398
Crazy Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post

My better half doesn't like you! She gets pissed (unless something is actually broken) every time I order new parts and I just ordered both of these!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #8399
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,871
Quote:
My better half doesn't like you! She gets pissed (unless something is actually broken) every time I order new parts and I just ordered both of these!

My better half doesn't like me either.

I try to remind her of all the things that I'm not wasting money on. Heck, it's not a boat or a sports car.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #8400
LisaS
Dubious Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
The problem at our house is there is no better half. Absolutely no filter on either one of our parts on either bikes or bike parts.... speaking of which, new parts for my new bike are rolling in daily- I picked out whant I wanted and shoein found the best deals and ordered Hope to start tearing it down this weekend
tent space
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote