Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #841
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
I guess I might ask what component exactly is consistently losing that much material? The tranny gears??? Makes me want to switch to paper filters, but then I might have to worry about oil starvation damage... I know I know, just ride the damn thing

DH
90% sure its clutch pack material. If you have ever seen toasted friction plates all that plate material has to go somewhere.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #842
Rainforest Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel brooks
Hey XT gurus,

I have a Super Sherpa, but have recently been riding the husband's XT225 to work (he just doesn't ride).

Does the XT make a lot of valve clatter/ticking? The Sherpa's top end is so quiet compared to the XT.

And yes, I've checked the valve clearance several times and it's within spec.

The bike is fairly new, an '06 with about 800 miles on it.

thanks for any info....
I'm very interested in your observations. I have an '04 XT225 that I have had for a couple of months - its in excellent cond. The engine is terribly noisy, worse than any engine I have come across that wasn't thrashed (hope mine isn't !). Specifically, it makes a distinct kind of knock noise when accelerating or under load, perhaps sounding like a cross between a pre-ignition sound and a diesel engine sound - but apparently unique to this engine.
Cruising at about 50 it has a higher pitched clatter, like half way between valve noise and either piston slap or loose main bearing clatter - but again unique to this. It goes away with a bit more or less throttle.
At idle it sounds kind of loose-ish .....
I also would welcome observations from other riders who have an ear for engine noises.
I wonder if the rubber blocks a lot of bikes have between the fins cancells out resonant noises ?

Thanks
Peter
Rainforest Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #843
Rainforest Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by moterbiker
I change my oil about every 1000 miles using Mobil 1 15W40, by bike has over 8000 miles on it, mine still looks like that every time, my wifes XT has almost the same mileage and hers does also.
This makes me wonder what the inside of a car filter looks like when its changed. Is this normal, and only of concern because we can see the chips on this "filter / screen"?
However, most engines I have now with magnetic drain plugs pick up very little on the magnet

Peter
Rainforest Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #844
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainforest Rider
I'm very interested in your observations. I have an '04 XT225 that I have had for a couple of months - its in excellent cond. The engine is terribly noisy, worse than any engine I have come across that wasn't thrashed (hope mine isn't !). Specifically, it makes a distinct kind of knock noise when accelerating or under load, perhaps sounding like a cross between a pre-ignition sound and a diesel engine sound - but apparently unique to this engine.
Cruising at about 50 it has a higher pitched clatter, like half way between valve noise and either piston slap or loose main bearing clatter - but again unique to this. It goes away with a bit more or less throttle.
I also would welcome observations from other riders who have an ear for engine noises.
I wonder if the rubber blocks a lot of bikes have between the fins cancells out resonant noises ?

Thanks
Peter
1st thing to do is put a full tank of premium fuel in it and make sure pinging is not the problem. Second thing is to then pull the tank and check the valve lash and see if it is within spec.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #845
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainforest Rider

Thanks
Peter

Thumpers have a way of making other things vibrate...and cause noise. The factory skid plate on these bikes are kinda flexy. You guys sure it isn't something else like that rattling....outside of the engine? try putting your foot on the corner of the bash plate and giving it some pressure when you hear the noise...does it disappear? Check for loose bolts and missing rubber isolaters

My buddies '04 XT is smooth as silk. I did notice that his bash plate has several rubber bumpers...one right between the engine case and the plate...just below the oil filler.

Could even be something else rattling too..body work etc?

My DRZ400 sounds TERRIBLE becuase the POS bash plate rattles at a certain RPM....then something up by the Rads rattle at other times...maybe the aftermarket Rad guards.

Other thing is...don't short shift too quickly.
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #846
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,207
I don't know about short-shifting (WTF is that, any way?) but my '06 had a little bit of noise in the engine before I broke it in. I used the motoman crazy-insane method, and it straightened right out.

Not sure about gunk in the filter screen, though. She just ticks. Or at least she did til I parked her. Been out of the country for a year.
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #847
NDVR
Ben

Oddometer: 53
A little help....

Can someone tell me if I need to adjust the ring nut in order to straighten the handlebars and forks in the tripletree, or can I just loosen the bolts on the steering shaft and handlebar crown? I went down yesterday in a parking lot, and now my steering is about 4 degrees off, to the left. I'm now riding with what a young tech in a dealership here in Columbus, OH. called "a gangsta lean." This same dude thinks my axle may be bent, but I think not.

A guy was either just sticking his hood out from behind a brick barrier so he could see to pull out, or he was coming right on out. Being cautious (read: overreacting) I grabbed brake, and went down to the left. I was going to fast for a parking lot, anyway. Although I cussed him out, in retrospect I've realized that it was mostly my fault for my excessive speed. If I'd been riding slower, I wouldn't have neededto react so quickly. A couple scrapes, and a minor twist of my left ankle later, I am posting to humbly remind all the other noobs out there to keep your heads UP. My tendency to duck my head was the other contributer to my fall. If I'd kept my head up, I should have been able to keep the bike up. Don't be a ducker. Other than occasional lapses in judgement, being a ducker is my worst riding fault.
NDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #848
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,700
Quote:
Hey XT gurus,

I have a Super Sherpa, but have recently been riding the husband's XT225 to work (he just doesn't ride).

Does the XT make a lot of valve clatter/ticking? The Sherpa's top end is so quiet compared to the XT.

And yes, I've checked the valve clearance several times and it's within spec.

The bike is fairly new, an '06 with about 800 miles on it.

thanks for any info....
I shot a quick video of the bike idling. This is from a cold start, with choke. The bike makes this noise while idling and while underway. Again, valves have been checked and re-checked.

Is this normal engine noise for the XT?

Thanks guys....

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #849
biker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
That is definitely not normal
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:24 AM   #850
autolycos
True vulgarian

I hate to sound contrarian, but on first blush, it didn't sound very odd to me. Keep in mind, I been away from my XT since April, 2007...
Old 06-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #851
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,456
The one we own sounds like that when it is running low on oil.

Cigar Mike
Old 06-23-2008, 07:09 AM   #852
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike
The one we own sounds like that when it is running low on oil.

Cigar Mike
Not the prob with this one. The oil level is correct.

Also, I found some stuff over on XT225.com about some mis-labled oil filters. Seems that the filter supplier for Yamaha labeled some YZ250 tranny filters as XT/TW oil filters. Caused several engine failures due to insufficient lubing.

I checked my filter, it's the correct type. Also, when checking the valves, found plenty of oil in the top end. So, I don't think my noise is oil related.

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Old 06-23-2008, 07:16 AM   #853
autolycos
True vulgarian

Quote:
Not the prob with this one. The oil level is correct.

Also, I found some stuff over on XT225.com about some mis-labled oil filters. Seems that the filter supplier for Yamaha labeled some YZ250 tranny filters as XT/TW oil filters. Caused several engine failures due to insufficient lubing.

I checked my filter, it's the correct type. Also, when checking the valves, found plenty of oil in the top end. So, I don't think my noise is oil related.
Depends, what weight are you using?
Old 06-23-2008, 07:47 AM   #854
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycos
Depends, what weight are you using?
Whatever the manual calls for---I think it's 10w40?

Can't remember right now. So, a different weight oil could quiet it down?

Just want to make sure I don't have a catostrophic (sp?) engine failure in my future.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:42 AM   #855
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Oddometer: 1,475
That really sounds like valves being out of whack to me.

The last time you adjusted them did you have to make any big changes?

Did that noise just start out of nowhere?

How does it feel power wise?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote