Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #8671
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
XT225.com covers the 250 as well.
great!. saves me sometime from find another great for thread.

so, with that news. how do you'all like the new xt250? i'm comparing the new honda crf250l with the xt250. this summer or next i'll be adding a new toy to stable. depends on how my daughter does with her motorcycle edu. course and likes to ride.
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #8672
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlclaflin View Post

so, with that news. how do you'all like the new xt250? i'm comparing the new honda crf250l with the xt250. this summer or next i'll be adding a new toy to stable. depends on how my daughter does with her motorcycle edu. course and likes to ride.
Nice bike, but there are not many on this forum who have 250s. Check out www.xt225.com.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #8673
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
Nice bike, but there are not many on this forum who have 250s. Check out www.xt225.com.
thanks, sometimes working grave yard, i get the brain farts.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #8674
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
I would question your brother’s Ninja speedo.
Someone had posted that he got to an indicated 82 MPH on his XT225.
Part of my reply ....
GPS speeds vs what the XT speedo read. Been a while but I seem to recall that the XT225 speedo indicated 60 mph was really 55 on the GPS. So 55/60 = 0.9167. Going by that 81.9 = 75.075 mph.
Also pretty sure that a speedo indicated 50 mph was really 45 MPH. A flat 90% of indicated. An average of the two percentages = 0.9083.
So 81.9 would then be 74.3 MPH.
I guess we could say that at an indicated ~82 mph that we are really doing 74-75 mph.
i have notice the same issue. at speeds of 30 or below, the speedo seem accurate. over 40 it seem to be apprx. 5mph + or - 1-3mph(gpsmap62)
Old 03-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #8675
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,990
Quote:

The new Honda is somewhere around 30 pounds heavier, and has a taller seat height than the XT250.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #8676
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
I would question your brother’s Ninja speedo.
Someone had posted that he got to an indicated 82 MPH on his XT225.
Part of my reply ....
GPS speeds vs what the XT speedo read. Been a while but I seem to recall that the XT225 speedo indicated 60 mph was really 55 on the GPS. So 55/60 = 0.9167. Going by that 81.9 = 75.075 mph.
Also pretty sure that a speedo indicated 50 mph was really 45 MPH. A flat 90% of indicated. An average of the two percentages = 0.9083.
So 81.9 would then be 74.3 MPH.
I guess we could say that at an indicated ~82 mph that we are really doing 74-75 mph.
My XT speedo eems to be dead on, me and my buddy use to drive around, he would follow me in his car and normally pull up next to me and show me the speed on a paper because I told him I didnt believe my speedo.. Maybe I'm just lucky I got one that works..?
Old 03-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #8677
DerekC
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Me and a buddy went for a ride up in the mountains today. Great weather, not too warm and not too cold. His bike is an 08 CRF230. Altogether we rode around 80 miles, mostly dirt backroads.

DerekC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #8678
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,889
I've had my little XT for about five years now and it has always been a good ride. I don't ride it a lot, but a friend does and I love it around town. It has always been slow to warm up, and I never bothered to work on it. When I got it I spun the carb, drilled out the plug and turned the fuel screw 3 turns and that is all.
A friend (Lil' Steve) mentioned how he rejetted his and how much quicker it warmed up. So I ordered the jets and went to do it and shim the needle this morning. Spun the carb and opened the top and saw this.

Took the spring out and it looked like this

Luckily I have a spare carb and swapped the spring, did the jets and it fired right up. Ran fine, but somehow it ran fine like that as well.
I didn't take it on the highway but I wonder if it will pull more now, since the slide couldn't open all the way up as it was.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #8679
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
...Spun the carb and opened the top and saw this...

Kind of wonder what use that spring is...

Next Trip: the Nevada-Utah-Arizona 3 step (hoping, DingWeed)...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #8680
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:

My wife has an XT225 and we just picked her up the new CRF250L. I've got the WR250R myself which I love. The new Honda is pretty nice and the motor is so smooth and quiet. It actually makes better power down low compared to the WRR, but the WRR motor pulls much harder higher in the rev band. The Honda is definitely taller than the XT225/XT250, but much lower than the WRR. The Honda is a bit porkier too. For my wife at 5'4" and 115lbs, the move up to the CRF is proving to be a bit on the challenging side. The XT225 fit her pretty well and she could ride the heck out of it. She likes the Honda better on the road and easier gravel roads, but in tougher places, the extra height and weight is setting her back a bit.

If the height of the CRF isn't an issue, the extra power from the CRF is pretty nice and of course it does have a 6spd gear box over the XT250's 5spd.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #8681
toomeymd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Just picked up a 225 and added a few things to it.

Fun little bike so far. The screen looks WAY bigger in the pic than it actually is...optical illusion or something. Added the handguards, the wolfman rolie bags, and a Li-ion battery. I also ordered a jet kit, unifilter, clarke 4.1 gal tank, and 16 tooth sprocket, they should be here in a few weeks. When the jet kit and filter gets here I'll do the exhaust mod.
toomeymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #8682
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I'm not crazy, I promise!

Alright, ya'll are gonna think I'm crazy but here we go.. ran her with airbox cover off the other day. She ran better, faster, stronger. I haven't rejet anything and as far as I can tell, the fuel mixture screw plug is still in.. Help? Am I just hallucenating or do ya'll think the last owner rejetted?
Old 03-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #8683
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,889
Super dirty filter will do that. If it was too restricted because of the filter taking the cover off will make it run better.Only logical thing I can think of.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #8684
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,660
The rubber snorkel is extremely restrictive. When that is removed or bypassed the engine is more robust.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #8685
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
My wife has an XT225 and we just picked her up the new CRF250L. I've got the WR250R myself which I love. The new Honda is pretty nice and the motor is so smooth and quiet. It actually makes better power down low compared to the WRR, but the WRR motor pulls much harder higher in the rev band. The Honda is definitely taller than the XT225/XT250, but much lower than the WRR. The Honda is a bit porkier too. For my wife at 5'4" and 115lbs, the move up to the CRF is proving to be a bit on the challenging side. The XT225 fit her pretty well and she could ride the heck out of it. She likes the Honda better on the road and easier gravel roads, but in tougher places, the extra height and weight is setting her back a bit.

If the height of the CRF isn't an issue, the extra power from the CRF is pretty nice and of course it does have a 6spd gear box over the XT250's 5spd.
Thanks. i love my little 94 xt225. runs great on and off road. sometimes i feel like an oaf on. i've sat on both crf250l and xt250. i do like the height of the crf, not to concerned of the weight diff. im 5'7" 210lbs. i know once the suspension is broken in the crf would seat a little lower w/me on it. i've been reading the crf250 thread and seems as almost everyone there is moding their bikes. so it seems hard to weed through the mods and find good real world info on stock bike. I know the yamaha has a great solid engine, just a great bike all the way around - stock.
I just need to keep reading/asking and test ride, test ride and test ride til i decide to make my choice. i just wish the 2013 xt250 was a little bigger, i don't like the oaf feeling