Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #8701
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlclaflin View Post
Thank You. That was great input. The height and weight are not that big of a concern. What is the stock front sprocket, 16T? Some of the posts seem to leave a question, quality of hardware...handlebars, brake lever, etc; a big concern and another concern is the location of the radiator, seems like the first time the laid down, the radiator is damaged if not trashed.
Stock gearing is 14/40 I think. Most guys seem to be going to 13/41 or 13/42 or so. The stock handlebars like most bikes are cheap and fragile and bend if you look at them wrong. A good set of aluminum bars and hand guards will take care of that and should protect your levers also.

We actually bought my wife's CRF used with a few damaged/bent bits that we knew about around the headlight area, but the good thing we've figured out is everything is super cheap to replace on this bike. Even the radiator is only $70 new which is much cheaper than a lot of bikes. The radiator can easily be protected though with a nice guard that is made for it. Basically a few necessary protection parts added like you do on most DS bikes and you won't have anything to worry about.

You can get a lot of your questions answered in The CRF250L Owners thread.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #8702
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis28715 View Post
Have a 06 XT225 that redlight to redlight smokes my KLX250. So much low end in those XT's. Have to keep the KLX spinning to get anywhere.

edit: XT does have FMF,K&N and re-jet. a lot of torque in that little motor.
HP is highly overrated IMHO. Torque, now that's where it's at. You flirt with HP, you fall in love with torque.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #8703
Adelphos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Lurking

Hello all.

I'm new here. Long story short, bought and XT225 back in 06, put a ton of miles on it that first Summer, left for the Corps, rode other bikes, built a few off road trucks, got hurt, got out and came home.

This Summer I plan on picking the XT back up again so I got online to search the forums and this one comes highly recommended for a DS forum. I'll be lurking and researching to build my bike back up to running shape. (It's been sitting in a garage untouched for a few years so I figure I'll need to clean the carb, flush and change fluids, and get a new battery for starters).

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know people and getting the bike running. Unfortunately I injured my spine and hands (and hip and knee and head haha the list goes on) so I won't be ripping it up like when I was younger BUT I still look forward to riding again. I miss it!
Adelphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #8704
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,659
Welcome Adelphos!

Good luck, and thank you, for your service.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #8705
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Semper Fi Adelphos! Fill out your profile so we'll know where you're
located.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #8706
hayduke.klr07
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Rear suspension

So I have only read 40 pages of this thread so far......

Here is my question: would putting a rear shock from a ttr 225 be an improvement over the original on my xt. I read over on the xt page that it is a direct match, but is it a heavier shock?

Anyone with experience with this?

Thanks in advance for the info.
hayduke.klr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #8707
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayduke.klr07 View Post
So I have only read 40 pages of this thread so far......

Here is my question: would putting a rear shock from a ttr 225 be an improvement over the original on my xt. I read over on the xt page that it is a direct match, but is it a heavier shock?

Anyone with experience with this?

Thanks in advance for the info.
I have a TTR shock sitting in a box that was on my XT. I took it off because a friend who rode my bike is vertically challenged and not sure what she weighs but I would say 130 or so. The TTR shock was too stiff for her, and she could use the sag that the stock shock had.
IMO it was better, I think it was just a heavier spring, not much if any damping differences but can't be positive. However I had stock fork springs and under my 210 pound load it felt very unbalanced with a stiff rear and a soft front.
If you way over 180 I would go for it, but stiffen the front end. If under that I am not sure I would bother.
BTW the best XT I ever road is Lil`Steve's it has a full cogent rear shock, fork springs and maybe race-tech emulators, and it handled really good for an XT.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #8708
Adelphos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Welcome Adelphos!

Good luck, and thank you, for your service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
Semper Fi Adelphos! Fill out your profile so we'll know where you're
located.
Thanks for the warm welcome. Profile is a little more filled out, and I'm learning to navigate the site. I'm on TacomaWorld and YotaTech a bit for my Pickup builds so its not too different.

I've got questions galore to get me started on my XT but I won't be home to get it for a month or more so for now I'll continue to lurk and research.
Adelphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #8709
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
freeway

so, on monday i took my little putt-putt on the freeway - for the first time. i was pretty surprised on how well it did. 3weeks ago i adjusted the valves, which i suspect had not been done in a long time ( 3rd owner, now has 11600+ miles). the old bike ran great, kept my fatass approximately 65mph. very little front end wobble. i suspect it was more the freeway, not the tire/ tire psi; because it only wobbled on certain parts of the road. the rest of the travel was smooth all 90 miles i road. man o'man, my butt hurt, 40 miles one way to the VA Hospital, then met up with the wife for lunch. i need to invest in a softer/better seat

[IMG]1994 xt 225[/IMG]

carlclaflin screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 11:45 PM
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #8710
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlclaflin View Post
so, on monday i took my little putt-putt on the freeway - for the first time. i was pretty surprised on how well it did. 3weeks ago i adjusted the valves, which i suspect had not been done in a long time ( 3rd owner, now has 11600+ miles). the old bike ran great, kept my fatass approximately 65mph. very little front end wobble. i suspect it was more the freeway, not the tire/ tire psi; because it only wobbled on certain parts of the road. the rest of the travel was smooth all 90 miles i road. man o'man, my butt hurt, 40 miles one way to the VA Hospital, then met up with the wife for lunch. i need to invest in a softer/better seat

[IMG][/IMG]
Look under Vendors and do a search for Seat concepts, best deal and a great seat to boot, 1 of the best inprovements you can do on a XT.
seatconcepts.com
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #8711
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,841
Thumb

Welcome to the XT225 club.

1+ on Seatconcepts, or lots of guys use the walmart pad from Sterns (I think) which is a cheap solution.

Those boxes look huge. Looks like you could really pack a ton of stuff in them. They'd probably be in the way for off-roading. Are they time consuming to remove? Btw, how many cases of beer will they hold?

I'd like to mount some boxes on my XT too.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #8712
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 745
I think that you will find that the seat concepts seat is harder than stock which is actually better. It will keep you from pushing through to the seat pan.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:59 AM   #8713
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Welcome to the XT225 club.

1+ on Seatconcepts, or lots of guys use the walmart pad from Sterns (I think) which is a cheap solution.

Those boxes look huge. Looks like you could really pack a ton of stuff in them. They'd probably be in the way for off-roading. Are they time consuming to remove? Btw, how many cases of beer will they hold?

I'd like to mount some boxes on my XT too.
those boxes are worth their weight in gold. i have put 2-1gallon jugs of coolant, plus couple quarts of oil in one; the other a starter for my 1/2 ton 4 wd suburban and other stuff, which already holds my tools and rain gear for the bike. it only takes a minute to take both off and yes sometimes they are a pain in the ass when flinging mud around. check out HAPPY TRAILS.COM
to answer your question, a case of beer and a little ice.
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #8714
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Couple of pics from last week in Death Valley

Good: Lookout City

Bad: LKOUT Rocks (broke the antenna off of my GPS)
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #8715
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
The xt did WONDERFUL at coyote atv. Hills, sand, water, mud, you name it. Blew my expectations out of the water.