Old 04-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #8716
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
Couple of pics from last week in Death Valley

Good: Lookout City

Bad: LKOUT Rocks (broke the antenna off of my GPS)
2. Ouch!
1. Was that Aguereberry Point?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #8717
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
2. Ouch!
1. Was that Aguereberry Point?
No I was @ Augueberry point earlier that day though

Lookout City is a former settlement in the Mojave Desert, in Inyo County, California. It lay at an elevation of 3579 feet.

http://www.360cities.net/image/lookout-city-stone-house-ruins-panamint-valley-ca#-435.28,19.25,70.0

History
In 1875 rich deposits of silver-lead ore were discovered in the Argus Range on top of Lookout mountain. The discovery was named the Modoc, and was sold to a group of investors which included George Hearst, the famed mining engineer, U.S. Senator, and father of William Randolph Hearst. (He was also the great-great grandfather of Patty Hearst.
The Modoc Consolidated Mining Company was formed with the Modoc mine as the principal mine. Together with the discovery of other nearby mines, which included the Minnietta Belle below Lookout Mountain, these mines formed the basis for the Modoc District with the townsite of Lookout located on top of Lookout Mountain.
The town of Lookout consisted of 2 general stores, 3 saloons, company offices, and as many as 30 other wood and stone structures. By 1876 two 60 ton furnaces and a 10-stamp mill were running and production was quoted as running 160 silver-lead bars per day. The bars averaged 90 lbs. each and assayed around $400.00. By the end of 1876 Remi Nadeau's Cerro Gordo Freighting Company had hauled 10,000 bars worth some $4,000,000 over the Bullion Trail which was originally built for the ore of the Cerro Gordo Mines. Remi Nadeau needed a faster route for his teams, so he constructed the Nadeau "Shotgun" road across the Panamint Valley and over the Slate Range to meet the Bullion Trail south of China Lake.
To supply the furnaces with charcoal, 10 charcoal kilns were built in Wildrose Canyon 25 miles away in the Panamint Range, and a steady stream of burros delivered charcoal in sacks to Lookout City via a pack trail on the east side of Lookout Mountain. The U.S. Bureau of Mines reported that total production during the period 1875 through 1890 amounted to $1,900,000 from the Modoc Mine alone.

airborndad screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 10:00 AM Reason: @
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #8718
toomeymd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Hey guys and gals, got a stock tank from an 01 Ca model that is sitting around now that I have a clarke tank. It's in great shape, 1 little dent on side thats not really noticeable. Includes air shrouds. Let me know if u need it and we'll work out a good price.
toomeymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #8719
Adelphos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
I've decided I'm going to try and motard the XT. Obviously won't be a legit supermoto (just a commuter), but I'm going to lace up an 18" rear wheel to the front and throw some quality street tread on it and call it a day.

I called home and asked my Pops to clear out a spot in the garage next to it so when school gets out in May I can head home and get started first thing.

Only snag up is the Title and everything isn't where I left it, and I never did get it all licensed and insured before I left for boot camp, so that may be a hassle trying to figure all that out. We'll see.

I'm going to give everything a once over, new battery, clean the carb, replace all the fluids and do a synthetic oil change, change to a 130 main and 42.5 pilot jet, turn the idle jet screw 2.5 turns out, and order a UNI air filter . . . hopefully that'll get me running.
(This thing hasn't been touched in YEARS, just sitting there, so I'm wary of what it'll take to get it running)

Step one: Get it running / licensed, insured, title

Step two: 18" rear wheel laced to front hub, choose tires, lower rear to match front

Step three: decide if I want a 16t front sprocket or not, hand guards, wider foot pegs, rear rack, trim fenders, little stuff, etc . . .

Any suggestions?
Adelphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #8720
toomeymd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
wow...all 582 pages...tons of info. I think it took a week! I tried to bookmark everything I thought I would need later, but I'm sure I missed a few. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this wealth of knowledge.
toomeymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #8721
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
No I was @ Augueberry point earlier that day though

Lookout City is a former settlement in the Mojave Desert, in Inyo County, California. It lay at an elevation of 3579 feet.

http://www.360cities.net/image/lookout-city-stone-house-ruins-panamint-valley-ca#-435.28,19.25,70.0

History
In 1875 rich deposits of silver-lead ore were discovered in the Argus Range on top of Lookout mountain. The discovery was named the Modoc, and was sold to a group of investors which included George Hearst, the famed mining engineer, U.S. Senator, and father of William Randolph Hearst. (He was also the great-great grandfather of Patty Hearst.
The Modoc Consolidated Mining Company was formed with the Modoc mine as the principal mine. Together with the discovery of other nearby mines, which included the Minnietta Belle below Lookout Mountain, these mines formed the basis for the Modoc District with the townsite of Lookout located on top of Lookout Mountain.
The town of Lookout consisted of 2 general stores, 3 saloons, company offices, and as many as 30 other wood and stone structures. By 1876 two 60 ton furnaces and a 10-stamp mill were running and production was quoted as running 160 silver-lead bars per day. The bars averaged 90 lbs. each and assayed around $400.00. By the end of 1876 Remi Nadeau's Cerro Gordo Freighting Company had hauled 10,000 bars worth some $4,000,000 over the Bullion Trail which was originally built for the ore of the Cerro Gordo Mines. Remi Nadeau needed a faster route for his teams, so he constructed the Nadeau "Shotgun" road across the Panamint Valley and over the Slate Range to meet the Bullion Trail south of China Lake.
To supply the furnaces with charcoal, 10 charcoal kilns were built in Wildrose Canyon 25 miles away in the Panamint Range, and a steady stream of burros delivered charcoal in sacks to Lookout City via a pack trail on the east side of Lookout Mountain. The U.S. Bureau of Mines reported that total production during the period 1875 through 1890 amounted to $1,900,000 from the Modoc Mine alone.
Thanks! Visiting the Wildrose Charcoal Kilns last year sparked an interest in the lead/silver mine that motivated it. NPS signage at the kilns spelled it Modock Mine. Searching Modoc now gives better leads. There's so much to explore out there!
Old 04-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #8722
jna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
2005 XT 225 Front Wheel

Anybody know where I could get a front wheel or rim for this bike? Mine is damaged beyond repair. Seems to be a backordered part at this time.
jna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #8723
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by jna View Post
Anybody know where I could get a front wheel or rim for this bike? Mine is damaged beyond repair. Seems to be a backordered part at this time.
Ebay for a used one.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #8724
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Mirrors

I personally find these mirrors ridiculously ugly. Does anybody else agree? If so, what are ya'll doin about it? Anyone know of any replacements?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #8725
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by jna View Post
Have you thought about looking into TTR wheels?
Supposed to be a little stronger.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #8726
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2Street View Post
I personally find these mirrors ridiculously ugly. Does anybody else agree? If so, what are ya'll doin about it? Anyone know of any replacements?
Double Take mirrors are what I plan on getting IF I ever break the stock ones

http://www.doubletakemirror.com/
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #8727
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
After putting on a one inch handlebar riser my stock mirrors are almost useful.
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #8728
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
found a 94 xt225 for sale locally has 2900 mi and looks to be in damn near showroom condition, runs great, I have looked for a similar one for sale to get a price point but havent found a single one for sale, what's a good price? things/problems to look for that are specific to the xt's?
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #8729
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,809
For mirrors I like the KTM style folding mirrors pretty well.

The guy that sells them is a vender here.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #8730
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
found a 94 xt225 for sale locally has 2900 mi and looks to be in damn near showroom condition, runs great, I have looked for a similar one for sale to get a price point but havent found a single one for sale, what's a good price? things/problems to look for that are specific to the xt's?

You'll get different answers, but IMO even though the mileage is low it is still an old bike. I'm not saying it isn't a good one, because I'd buy if the price was "right". I doubt I would pay over $1200 for a 94'. I'd try to get it for $1000.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote