Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #8776
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by redninja View Post
Turn the petcock off and run it a bit when you're done riding. Works like a charm for us. I read someplace that the volatile parts off the gas evaporate quickly so when you run some of the gas out of the carb, this allows fresh gas to come in when you go to start it up again. Been doing this ever since we first got the bikes; it's the only trustworthy way to start them (ours, anyway).
Good advice. Heres my trick; Sitting in your garage with the bike fully warm and off choke. Turn the gas off and ride away. Make a mental note of where you run out of gas. Next time you come home, reach down at that point and turn off the gas . Once you get good at it, you can run the bowl dry just as you pull into your spot.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #8777
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Good advice. Heres my trick; Sitting in your garage with the bike fully warm and off choke. Turn the gas off and ride away. Make a mental note of where you run out of gas. Next time you come home, reach down at that point and turn off the gas . Once you get good at it, you can run the bowl dry just as you pull into your spot.
Nice!
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #8778
greenboy 667
slower than dirt

Oddometer: 21
Hi y'all -- and response to carb/starting

Howdy, just joining ranks here as a newbie to cycles but not adventure riding, as I did a lot of longer trips on an opened-up ATV with a lot of farkles. I'd say I'm currently a Honda Trail 90 type in terms of off-road riding style, though I will ride at 70 to get to the dirt ; }

My 2007 XT is close enough to stock not to be worthy of a photo. Billet rack with an adapted large vidcam bag, soon to have Moose hand protectors with the large cups. I probably will stay pretty mild on the mods after being so crazy on my ATV. I like riding more than wrenching. This is such a fun bike for forest service roads and simpler single tracks! And there are lots of places all around me here in northwest Montana to do casual day trips without getting bored.

After learning a lot of carb tuning on the ATV I will say this: it seems like if you have tuned all the carb circuits to transition well to each other for your average weather and altitude, that you shouldn't have that much trouble starting and warming up. No tricks or petcock schemes should be necessary to get a clean carb to start. I know this XT, just like my now-sold quad, will immediately start with the proper choke use from 35 to 70 degrees (all I've had occasion to try so far).

I feel I really I lucked out because I bought it already expertly tuned. No need to look at spark plugs or EGT, or fiddle with the carb, thank god! That stuff was a pain in the keister, especially if going off to ride in an area with entirely different altitudes.
greenboy 667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #8779
greenboy 667
slower than dirt

And THANKS!

Also, I want to thank this forum for all the lurking research. I really enjoy this little beastie and its great fuel economy. I had intended to get a Honda CRF250L but they were so back-ordered. Just to ride before August I grabbed the just-traded-in ultra-clean XT225 at a great price.

All I had read here on other smaller dual-sports {why didn't we just keep calling 'em enduros;} clicked and so the substitution just felt right. I've already clocked a few hundred miles during the few days I felt it was worth going out to eventually meet nasty mud and snow. I've gotten a lot of back-road sneaking practice pending my scheduled riding school adventure.

Some of that extra money burning a hole in my pocket went into riding clothing and armor and a great GMax 54S and tall Moose boots (changed the shifter height to accommodate them). The advice to ride protected was indeed some of the smartest advice ever given. I've already needed it once and realize that it'll always be a benefit : }
Old 04-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #8780
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,674
Welcome, Greenboy!

Agree on the starting issues--something's not right if you have to drain the bowl every ride. Could even just be gas quality though. I normally have stabil in the tank, don't know if this makes a difference, but ours will start immediately after sitting for 3 months...

Where you riding? (fill out your location profile )

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #8781
greenboy 667
slower than dirt

Hi, HardWorkingDog,

Up near Glacier National Park and a lot of other good stuff. Fortunately I can buy non-ethanol gas a few places around here, though if I range farther I might have to use crapgas sometimes...

I want an FX Bikes Mountain Moto Expedition

Living vicariously through your trip reports

greenboy 667 screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 10:44 AM
Old 04-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #8782
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,695
This is my bike fully loaded ready to camp. I will not be wearing a backpack.

I have gotten the total gear weight down to 23.6lbs(10.7kg).

This setup keeps me pretty comfortable.

With this camp set up, I do not have any camping gear getting near my seating area, and do not have to wear a backpack. The bike also handles a lot better with a smaller load.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #8783
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
I have gotten the total gear weight down to 23.6lbs(10.7kg).

This setup keeps me pretty comfortable.

With this camp set up, I do not have any camping gear getting near my seating area, and do not have to wear a backpack. The bike also handles a lot better with a smaller load.
Sweet! That's pretty much the volume I took for 6 weeks in Baja...I can't tell if you've got anything on the front, but I use a dirtbikegear.com number plate bag, and a camelbak hawg. Where's your next trip?

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:26 AM   #8784
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Sweet! That's pretty much the volume I took for 6 weeks in Baja...I can't tell if you've got anything on the front, but I use a dirtbikegear.com number plate bag, and a camelbak hawg. Where's your next trip?
There is nothing else on the bike, other than in the saddlebags and drybag. I will be carrying a spare front tube also. I have some leftover space in the bags for it.

I am off to George Washington National Forest.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/gwj
Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #8785
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,517
Anyone looking for a second XT225? I have an 07 -- the last of the XT225 I will be letting for for reasonable price.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #8786
redninja
Will ride 4 scenery

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2Street View Post
Looks real nice! Hows it do with all the vibration?
I've never thought about vibration, so it must not be too bad. Probably helps that my hand rests on the attachment strap.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #8787
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
oil consumption

anyone have/had a problem with oil consumption? i have a 94 w/ 12058 miles. i don't see any leaks, everything looks clean. any advice?
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:09 AM   #8788
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlclaflin View Post
anyone have/had a problem with oil consumption? i have a 94 w/ 12058 miles. i don't see any leaks, everything looks clean. any advice?

My 2010 XT225 (Brazilian built version) has covered 58,000 miles and uses a bit too much oil, if I cruise along for long distances at 60mph. If I slow it down to 55mph, the consumption is really reduced.

Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #8789
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
At 12k my top end was shot, but it lead an abused life.

When I changed out the piston and cylinder I was amazed at the difference in the tightness, I could drop the old piston right through the cylinder.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #8790
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Take a second look around your countershaft seal on the left side of engine case. Mine went bad at a similar mileage. You'd probably see some oil spots underneath the engine, however.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote