User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #8881
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,875
Thumb

Nice trim job on the fender. The stock shape is a bit odd looking. I might have to trim mine too.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #8882
Adelphos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Nice trim job on the fender. The stock shape is a bit odd looking. I might have to trim mine too.
Thanks. I took off roughly three inches and just tapered the sides parallel with the original shape back to the widest point, then rounded all the endes just so and sanded everything down smooth.

Believe it or not, the tin snips weren't working great so I busted out a very skinny bladed hack saw and it went way faster. Just used a box cutter and file to touch it up after that.

Have a second pair of hands to hold the fender in place if you can. It moves a ton being flimsy plastic and all.
Adelphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #8883
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. matteeanne View Post
Help!! I am replacing chain and sprockets, what is supposed to be holding on the front sprocket? The old one had two 10mm bolts but they did not appear to hold it on, it was wiggly loose when I took it off? arrgghhh!
There should be an oval washer type thing that fits on the splined countershaft. It sits on top of the sprocket, and the two loose bolts you found should pass through it and thread into the sprocket. It slides over the splines and then is turned a few degrees before being bolted on IIRC. You might need to check a parts microfiche or your local dealer for a replacement.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #8884
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
Also, anyone have some leads as to where I can get a stock XT REAR wheel for cheap. They seems to be a bit overpriced everywhere I've looked. Looking for the stock 2.15x18" rear wheel. Thanks in advance for any leads.
Look for a TTR 225/TTR 230 rear wheel. I picked one up cheap (Depends what you consider overpriced though, I suppose) and the brake is larger/better.
The conversion is fairly easy and is posted earlier on in this thread.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #8885
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
There should be an oval washer type thing that fits on the splined countershaft. It sits on top of the sprocket, and the two loose bolts you found should pass through it and thread into the sprocket. It slides over the splines and then is turned a few degrees before being bolted on IIRC. You might need to check a parts microfiche or your local dealer for a replacement.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #8886
Adelphos
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Look for a TTR 225/TTR 230 rear wheel. I picked one up cheap (Depends what you consider overpriced though, I suppose) and the brake is larger/better.
The conversion is fairly easy and is posted earlier on in this thread.
I just need the wheel, I'm debating lacing it to the front for a fun little project :)
Old 05-27-2013, 06:36 AM   #8887
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,004
Quote:
I just need the wheel, I'm debating lacing it to the front for a fun little project :)
Ooohh..
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #8888
J5k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Aftermarket exhaust?

I'm looking to fit an aftermarket exhaust (probably slip-on). I have two basic desires. 1) lighter than stock and 2) as close to stock volume as possible.

Does anyone here have any recommendations? I know I should be looking at exhausts for the ttr 225 and have found 2 slip-ons.. Fmf and dg performance. There's also the big gun exhaust but I'm not sure that's available as a slip-on.
J5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #8889
Adelphos
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J5k View Post
I'm looking to fit an aftermarket exhaust (probably slip-on). I have two basic desires. 1) lighter than stock and 2) as close to stock volume as possible.

Does anyone here have any recommendations? I know I should be looking at exhausts for the ttr 225 and have found 2 slip-ons.. Fmf and dg performance. There's also the big gun exhaust but I'm not sure that's available as a slip-on.
Have you heard of the z1 mod? Other than that you can get lighter, but not really stay quiet ha
Old 05-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #8890
J5k
Adventurer

Quote:
Have you heard of the z1 mod? Other than that you can get lighter, but not really stay quiet ha
Yeah I've seen the z1 mod but lighter is really my primary objective. I'm currently leaning towards the fmf with quiet core. Just wondering who's gone down that route and if the noise was acceptable. I'm currently 80% dirt but do want to stay just below obnoxious when on the road.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #8891
MasterChief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5k View Post

I have a Pro-circuit on mine. Works great and is not too loud. I have passed sound checks at various events I have entered.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #8892
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
You be looking for a "rim", not a wheel What spokes are you planning on using?
Try searching for just the rim on ebay
I came across this interesting thread as well:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/244...onversion-pic/
somewhere in there someone mentions a TW200 front wheel. This might be an option as well, no?

woofer2609 screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 05:23 PM Reason: added hyperlink
Old 05-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #8893
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
You be looking for a "rim", not a wheel What spokes are you planning on using?
Try searching for just the rim on ebay
I came across this interesting thread as well:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/244...onversion-pic/
somewhere in there someone mentions a TW200 front wheel. This might be an option as well, no?
That's an interesting old link. I wonder if the guy getting 90mpg on his 225 with the small front wheel knew that his odometer isn't accurate anymore.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #8894
J5k
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
I have a Pro-circuit on mine. Works great and is not too loud. I have passed sound checks at various events I have entered.
Cool, looks like the pro-circuit is a bit cheaper than fmf and has different tips you can use to tune to your liking. Are you running a quiet tip of any sort?
Old 05-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #8895
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
I got a set of hand and lever protectors that I'm looking at how to install on the XT225. The handlebars don't seem to have enough of an area free of wiring to install the support for the bar. How have you guys overcome this? Also the throttle sleeve is closed at the end. Do you have to cut the end off to allow the bar and support to be installed?

Also I got a new set of handgrips. They are longer than the throttle sleeve. I current have 4 quarters in them to take up the excess space. If I put the protectors on would I have to cut down the grips?
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote