Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 04:38 AM   #8986
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I've read about a lot of folks having spokes breaking and have always wondered what the cause is. I have an 02' which I ride in some pretty extreme off-road conditions and I haven't had any spokes break or even get loose.

I have recently ridden with a guy who has and 07' which has had spokes break. He mentioned needing to have his wheel trued too.

My bike has a lot more miles, and I'm sure it's has been ridden in much rougher terrain. I wonder if certain year models are more prone to spoke problems?
i have a 94 w/ 12800+ mile. the other weekend i was on the street and had a rear spoke pop. first time ever! it was loud, and scared the shit out me; the spoke eye got sucked up into the chain and throught the front sprocket....in which made the bike feel as if i destroyed the engine. $60 for a spoke set from the dealer, thank goodness there is a local motorcycle shop that had some, $3 piece.
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #8987
J5k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasespot View Post
So where's that tailight from? And whadja hafta do to make it work?
I bought the light from procycle I think:
http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm#a60-1455

To get it mounted I took all the stock stuff off. There's a rectangular protrusion on the stock fender that the stock wires ran through. I basically cut this out flush with the rest of the fender, cut the top and both sides off but left the bottom side. I then stuck it in a vice and flattened out the bottom side by heating it up. (I knew I should've taken pictures!)

Then I used a soldering iron to weld it back in place but now flush with the fender. I used the pieces I had cut off to fill in any gaps.

Finally, drill some holes for the wires and bolts that hold the light on and done. The reflector is from the stock setup, just bolted to the fender.

Hopeful that makes sense. I feel like I did take some pictures, if I can find them I'll upload.
J5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #8988
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
some pvc, a cutting board, 4 allen head bolts and a dry bag

make for a really usable tool bag.
I bought one of these roll top dry bags at Mountain Equipment Co-op ( similar to REI) and punched four holes in the bottom that matched up with 4 1/4" holes drilled in the top of the rear fender.
[IMG][/IMG]

I punched some brass tarp grommets in the holes punched in the bag to prevent tearing and cut some 1/2" dia. pvc pipe at 3/4" length and placed it underneath the bag

Then I got an old piece of cutting board and cut it to 5" wide by 8" long and drilled holes in it that corresponded to the holes in the bag and the fender. Through the cutting board I dropped some 1 1/2" flat head allen bolts from Home Despot, and sandwiched the whole deal down with some nylock nuts.

Here's a picture with my tool bag that fits very snug inside the bag. with the tool bag inside there is still room for a jacket liner, or sandwich and small water bottle. It is *almost* waterproof (No water in it after a very wide creek crossing), sits very low so i do not hit it with my boot, and does not move at all.

I tend to try and travel by the bike to a location and remove my Moose expedition rack and saddle bags and such. My turn signals have quick disconnects and I bring the stock "Carry handles" with me. Because of the small size of the bag, it fits nicely underneath the rack, and when I take the rack off, I transfer my toolbag from a pannier to the bag.

Total cost was about $15, but moreso there isn't a product available for purchase that fits the bill like this did. That, and I suppose I have a cutting board when I camp now as well

woofer2609 screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 11:50 AM
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #8989
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

speedometer cable, take 3.

Just broke my second one, at least they are inexpensive-ish. Both times a week after lots of water/ mud crossing, so now might not be a bad time to disconnect it at the speedo end and pour some 10 wt. oil down the housing.
Figuring out how to ride at the speed limit here in Vancouver isn't too difficult, however, I just slow down until EVERY car is passing me, and I figure I am about 5 over
Old 06-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #8990
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
Just broke my second one, at least they are inexpensive-ish. Both times a week after lots of water/ mud crossing, so now might not be a bad time to disconnect it at the speedo end and pour some 10 wt. oil down the housing.
Figuring out how to ride at the speed limit here in Vancouver isn't too difficult, however, I just slow down until EVERY car is passing me, and I figure I am about 5 over
Check the tightness speedo cable guide that clamps to the fork. My speedometer cable failed, and when I took it off, I pulled the cable out to see where the break was. Mine had broken off directly under the cable guide. I think the guide had been too tight and stressed the cable. When I installed the new cable, I made sure the guide was not squeezing the cable.

First cable lasted 16k miles.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #8991
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Total cost was about $15
$15 including the dry bag? I haven't price them. Thinking about one large enough for all camping gear. Pack, lash and go. Maybe 50 liter size. Just a first SWAG. any experience/recommendations appreciated. :)
Old 06-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #8992
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
$15 including the dry bag? I haven't price them. Thinking about one large enough for all camping gear. Pack, lash and go. Maybe 50 liter size. Just a first SWAG. any experience/recommendations appreciated. :)
The bag was about $10 and hardware $5. That's in Canada as well, so they should be available for near that price in the US. I purchased 2 30liter bags as well, and sourced some Ortlieb pannier rack mounts. I plan on making saddle bags to fit on the Happy Trails racks I have for my Wr250r. The bags should also fit my Moose rack on the xt
believe I saw 40 liter bags as well.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #8993
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Front axle question

The parts fiche shows a washer that fits on the outside of each fork leg between the bolt head and leg and castle nut and leg. I didn't see one on the bolt head end, and before I reassemble, does everyone have one on that end?
Thanks.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #8994
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
The parts fiche shows a washer that fits on the outside of each fork leg between the bolt head and leg and castle nut and leg. I didn't see one on the bolt head end, and before I reassemble, does everyone have one on that end?
Thanks.
A quick check on my XT hows I have both washers on, both the same thickness, hole and OD.
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #8995
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Axle washer

Found it! Thanks Te Hopo!
Guess what was sitting under the front tire
ahhh, I have to laugh at myself sometimes, I know I checked there about 20x, the grey washer is an exact colour match for the pavement I am working on.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #8996
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 1,140
Hahaha yea we've all been there I'm sure, I've found knobblies are good tires for hiding stuff like that clip/bolt/washer you need to fix in place the part your struggling to line up and hold in place with with one hand.
Turn to pick up the bolt and.............damn...............wheres that freaking thing gone?!
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #8997
rextec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
XT Impressed me!

Went for a ride on some single track with my buddy and his drz400 today, the little XT really surprised me! There were some steep loose hill climbs and it took it like a little billy goat! Got to try out my new FMF pipe as well, made a big difference all around but mostly throttle response and mid-range, also pulled RPM more smoothly. Heres a cool pic i snapped of some "artwork" under a bridge.

photo 41ddbe66db9c11e2bab822000a9f3c25_7_zps20593dfd.jpg
rextec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:47 AM   #8998
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Oddometer: 254
New tire

Just ordered a replacement front wheel. The Pirelli Scorpion MT90 AT clocked 25k miles. Woot! Hopefully upsizing from 80/90-21 to 90/90-21 will correct the speedo, which was several percent high.

(The rear was replaced at 24k miles.)
Old 06-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #8999
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rextec View Post
Went for a ride on some single track with my buddy and his drz400 today, the little XT really surprised me! There were some steep loose hill climbs and it took it like a little billy goat! Got to try out my new FMF pipe as well, made a big difference all around but mostly throttle response and mid-range, also pulled RPM more smoothly. Heres a cool pic i snapped of some "artwork" under a bridge.

photo 41ddbe66db9c11e2bab822000a9f3c25_7_zps20593dfd.jpg
Nice photo! Yup, billy goat is an apt description for sure. Tires seem to make such a huge difference on these bikes, along with what pressure you are running. Seems like you've got that taken care of. After riding both this bike and my wr250r, I found design flaw with the xt when climbing steep inclines is how slippery the seat is! How many times have I taken a foot off the peg to stabilize myself, just to find myself Supermanning with my stomach on the seat, holding on for dear life, my legs flailing in the breeze! That and the ridiculously soft front suspension. Great bikes all in all.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #9000
J5k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rextec View Post
...Got to try out my new FMF pipe as well, made a big difference all around but mostly throttle response and mid-range, also pulled RPM more smoothly.
I just installed an fmf as well. How did your install go? I had to drill out the hole on the muffler where it mounts under the seat. Not much drilling but had to drill none the less. Also, did you go with a quiet core? I'm looking at doing that but don't know the correct part number as google gives up a few different parts. There's a thread about it over at xt225.com but appears to be for an older style.
J5k is offline   Reply With Quote