Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #9031
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I have used various tires, but always run 32 psi on pavement front and rear. The sidewalls flex to much with anything less, and if the tires flex, the wheels are also more likely to flex. I have heard a lot of complaints about the XTs wheels being easily damaged. I have 30,000 miles on mine with no problems but I don't run super low pressures or try to ride it like an MX bike either. As good as the XT is, it is not a top of the line bike, it was built to a price point, a fairly low one.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:18 AM   #9032
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
... if the tires flex, the wheels are also more likely to flex.
That doesn't make sense. Most tires would just be a solid band of rubber if it did.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #9033
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Pro-Cycle recommends starting at 35psi and going up from there. The Recreation Engineer recommends 40 psi for the front. I'm going to try 40 front 42 rear. The sidewall maximum appears to be 60psi on my Pirelli Scorpions. The suspension is certainly supple enough for hard tires. It will also improve rolling resistance that will increase range and speed.

2000 ST1100 ABS
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #9034
alonzo
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 415
Carb issues?

Here's my problem:

2006 Yamaha XT225, 1600 miles. Snorkel removed from airbox, muffler opened up (Z1 mod), 42.5 pilot jet, 130 main jet and 0.058" shim under the needle. Carb is Mikuni BST34.

Low and mid-range are fine. Top-range is too but I get an occasional stumble/spit/miss-fire/whatever. Both when accelerating and at steady high speed (High speed on an XT is anything > 65mph)

I originally shimmed the needle to .030" which definitely improved mid and upper range but there was stumble (actually, there was stumble before I shimmed.) Then shimmed to .058" which further improved mid and upper range and still stumbled. Then I shimmed to 086". Power was good but stumble seemed worse so I backed down to a .058" shim. Power still good and stumble not so bad.

I have checked and adjusted the float (per the 1999 pdf service manual.) The spark plug looks good (medium grey) and is gapped within spec.

I think my jets are pretty clean as I run only ethanol-free fuel and usually toss in a couple of ounces of TechRon.

This may not be a carb problem at all but somehow it just seems the likely one.
If you have any suggestions as to where I might look for the problem I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Also, If anyone here has a late model service manual (later than the 1999) and could look up the float setting for me I'd really dig it.

-- alonzo

1978 BMW R80/7
2009 BMW F650GS (do you think a new BMW every 30 years is too much?)

2006 Yamaha XT225
1970 Triumph Bonneville T120R

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."
sǝʞıq ʇɹıp ɟo ɟɟo ʎɐʇs pןnoɥs noʎ ǝqʎɐɯ uǝɥʇ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
alonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #9035
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzo View Post
Also, If anyone here has a late model service manual (later than the 1999) and could look up the float setting for me I'd really dig it.

-- alonzo
14.1-15.1 mm
"Below from the float chamber mating surface (front)" <-- thier words not mine
Old 07-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #9036
alonzo
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
14.1-15.1 mm
"Below from the float chamber mating surface (front)" <-- thier words not mine
Thanks, nuggets.
Same as in the 1999 manual. What does it say for stock jets?
-- alonzo
alonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #9037
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,391
Quote:
Top-range is too but I get an occasional stumble/spit/miss-fire/whatever. Both when accelerating and at steady high speed (High speed on an XT is anything > 65mph)
Put some tape on the throttle housing and the edge of the grip. Mark zero throttle with a sharpie. This is best done with the engine idling, so you can tell when the slack in the cable has just been taken up. Turn off the engine and mark wide open. Now take a tape measure (metric works best in my opinion) and measure the length of the arc. Put a mark at the mid point. Duplicate this procedure to mark the mid-point between here and zero throttle opening to get 1/4 open. Repeat for 1/8 and 1/16 openings. With the help of the marks, determine precisely during what throttle opening(s) it misbehaves. Don't have an accident trying to look at the marks while riding. If you do, I'm not responsible! Report back with results. This will help us determine what circuit(s) are responsible.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #9038
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

I got an occasional (very occasional) high rpm miss under load today on mine too. Z1 mod, snorkle out, 130 main stock pilot. Since it was under load an at high rpm I assumed it was a lean condition. I was considering putting my snorkle back in with a uni filter to see if it goes away. Ultimately, I want to shim the needle .097 inch.

2000 ST1100 ABS
Old 07-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #9039
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
Ultimately, I want to shim the needle .097 inch.
.097?! WTF? Thats would be 5 needle clip positions & be way too rich. Where did you come up with that number?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #9040
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Here's my problem:

2006 Yamaha XT225, 1600 miles. Snorkel removed from airbox, muffler opened up (Z1 mod), 42.5 pilot jet, 130 main jet and 0.058" shim under the needle. Carb is Mikuni BST34.

Low and mid-range are fine. Top-range is too but I get an occasional stumble/spit/miss-fire/whatever. Both when accelerating and at steady high speed (High speed on an XT is anything > 65mph)

I originally shimmed the needle to .030" which definitely improved mid and upper range but there was stumble (actually, there was stumble before I shimmed.) Then shimmed to .058" which further improved mid and upper range and still stumbled. Then I shimmed to 086". Power was good but stumble seemed worse so I backed down to a .058" shim. Power still good and stumble not so bad.

I have checked and adjusted the float (per the 1999 pdf service manual.) The spark plug looks good (medium grey) and is gapped within spec.

I think my jets are pretty clean as I run only ethanol-free fuel and usually toss in a couple of ounces of TechRon.

This may not be a carb problem at all but somehow it just seems the likely one.
If you have any suggestions as to where I might look for the problem I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

-- alonzo
pull the airbox side plate/cover off and run the bike up the rpm on the road (under load) again. If it's worse, then its lean bog up top; if its better then it's a rich bog on top. It only takes a couple minutes to do this and it tells you for sure which direction to go in. I wouldn't be surprised if you were rich on top and needed to drill a few holes in the top of your side cover. Could be way off base but sometimes even I get one right.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #9041
Tom S
Can I ride it?

I have seen it suggested to apply a bit of choke to add more fuel. If it gets better its lean. worse too rich.
Wish Id thought of that.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #9042
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
.097?! WTF? Thats would be 5 needle clip positions & be way too rich. Where did you come up with that number?
http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthrea...rue#Post113334

Go down to the Mikuni carburator section, and after that, the snorkle section. It was .092. I'm thinking the snorkle helps the carb achieve vacuum that is necessary for these carbs to work right. It also says that most people that replaced the pilot jet ended up going back to the original pilot jet. That is why I left mine alone. It doesn't say why.

2000 ST1100 ABS
Old 07-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #9043
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
I have seen it suggested to apply a bit of choke to add more fuel. If it gets better its lean. worse too rich.
Wish Id thought of that.
yeah you can add fuel that way, if its lean.

removing the side cover adds air , if its rich.

Mine did the same thing and it was a rich stumble on top. Drilled a few holes in the side cover and no issue since. My fuel economy is only 65mpg tho. I like everything but the snorkel removal....its a little louder than i like.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #9044
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
yeah you can add fuel that way, if its lean.

removing the side cover adds air , if its rich.

Mine did the same thing and it was a rich stumble on top. Drilled a few holes in the side cover and no issue since. My fuel economy is only 65mpg tho. I like everything but the snorkel removal....its a little louder than i like.
Could you be a little more specific about the size holes you drilled and how many?

2000 ST1100 ABS
Old 07-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #9045
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
Could you be a little more specific about the size holes you drilled and how many?

I don't know about the other guy but...

We have two 1" holes in our air box cover that we use 1" conduit plugs in while at low elevations and remove plugs at higher elevations.
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote