Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #9136
alonzo
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
After redrilling the muffler I had a little high speed stumble. I then replaced the air filter with a Unifilter, and now it runs perfectly.

Formula: remove snorkle, rejet main to 130, drill muffler, add unifilter. A shop already turned the pilot screw out. I don't really like the noise, but the performance is there. 800 feet above sea level.
OK, James --
I'm going to try the UNI filter.
-- alonzo
alonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #9137
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
jspringator, what's in the case behind the licence plate?
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #9138
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
I just reinsured the xt225 after a 2,500 trip on my new to me wr250r/x.
I still love the xt. The closest comparison I can come to is that one is a brick, and the other a sponge. I'm sure you can figure out which is which
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #9139
Dirtdeville
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Jerry's pictures

Hey Jerry I've heard you talk about your bikes for awhile and it's nice to finally see one of them. That's a pretty nice setup and if I'm not wrong that's a first aid kit behind the license plate.Those blue reflectors are not legal in CA but they look good with the blue bike.BTW-I noticed you have to defend everything you say on another site might be time to move on.JMHO
Dirtdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #9140
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,550
This is one of 3 XT225s I have. The other 2 (a '99 and an '01) are not currently running, but they are both in great shape, with low mileage. Wouldn't take much to get them going. I bought them because I found them cheap, and like the XT225 so much I decided to get a lifetime supply. I also have a big box of new and used parts. This one is a '94, with over 30,000 miles on it, about 2/3 of that on dirt. I bought it back in '08 with 1800 miles. Same engine and frame, but there has been a lot of parts swapping since then.

This one has all the goodies, a Cigar Mike centerstand, a kickstarter, a Clarke 4 gallon tank, and a Bryan Swens rack. It also has upgraded front and rear suspension for my 230 pound weight The box is indeed a first aid kit. Blue lights are illegal in AZ, but not reflectors.

I have found the XT makes a great minimalist touring bike for rough roads, both paved and dirt.

The whole luggage system is built on a real milk crate (not Walmart) bolted to the rack with 4 rubber mounts, and 2 angle steel extensions bolted onto the rear. Other than the milk crate being empty, this is pretty much all of it. Various parts can be removed for shorter trips.

As for the "other forum", yeah, what a mess.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #9141
Dirtdeville
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Oil cooler

One other thing I forgot to mention that you may not have seen is an oil cooler made to go on the XT in place of the smog canister.If heat buildup is an issue it might be worth looking into.
Dirtdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #9142
rextec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Steering stem bolt torque?????

I just serviced the steering stem bearings on my XT and was wondering if anyone had the steering stem bolt torque value handy???

Thanks!

rextec screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 08:43 AM
rextec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #9143
Robidob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
When you adjust the carb you increase the opportunities to foul the plugs so keep in mind that a fouled plug will can cause a stumble as well.
Robidob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #9144
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by rextec View Post
I just serviced the steering stem bearings on my XT and was wondering if anyone had to steering stem bolt torque value handy???

Thanks!
50 ft lbs.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #9145
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
jspringator, what's in the case behind the licence plate?
That is JerryH's bike.

2000 ST1100 ABS
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #9146
rextec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
50 ft lbs.
Thanks Nuggets, much appreciated :)
rextec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #9147
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
... If you run really low pressure, the tires are going to be soft and mushy. The wheels will be free to flex around, and if you hit a rock or some other object, you are likely to completely crush the tire, and bend the rim.
With really low pressure of course the wheels are more likely to get bent or dented. But to say “...if the tires flex, the wheels are also more likely to flex.” does not make sense. The tires are made to flex, if not you would be beating hell out of the wheels & everything attached to them. That’s what I’m talkin’ about.
And to say that “the wheels will be free to flex around” makes it sound like your wheels would flexing around side to side or up & down with the Yamaha manuals 18-25 PSI. Wheels may flex a very small amount but you would never know it when riding.
I don’t think ‘flex’ is the term you want. Bent or dented with very low pressure, yes
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #9148
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
With really low pressure of course the wheels are more likely to get bent or dented. But to say “...if the tires flex, the wheels are also more likely to flex.” does not make sense. The tires are made to flex, if not you would be beating hell out of the wheels & everything attached to them. That’s what I’m talkin’ about.
And to say that “the wheels will be free to flex around” makes it sound like your wheels would flexing around side to side or up & down with the Yamaha manuals 18-25 PSI. Wheels may flex a very small amount but you would never know it when riding.
I don’t think ‘flex’ is the term you want. Bent or dented with very low pressure, yes
My wife has a 2007 XT225 that she really likes. She wanted better dirt, and especially gravel, handling so we mounted Dunlop MX71s. A quote from a MotorcycleUSA.com revue - "The MX71 is the right choice for a hard-packed track. It crosses over and performs well on intermediate terrain as well." We have them aired at 15 psi front & rear with Tubliss inserts, so we can go really low on pressure if we want, as the Tubliss inserts prevent rim damage well. She seems to like it quite a bit better than the stock dual sport tires at 18-25 psi. We mainly ride dirt/gravel roads & trails.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #9149
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,550
I ride with 32 psi in both tires. (I weigh 230, and carry at least 40 pounds of stuff with me, so the bike is seriously loaded) I bought my XT with 1800 miles on it, it now has over 30,000 miles on it, about 2/3 of that is dirt (and yes it does include a lot of dirt roads that at least look fairly smooth, but have a lot of chatter bumps (what some call "washboard" roads) I also have stiffer than stock suspension front and rear, again because of all the weight. But in all those miles, I have never broken a spoke. I do snug some of them up slightly anytime I have the tires off, but never found any really loose.

I have heard over and over again about people having broken spokes, spokes pulled through the rim, and elongated holes in the hub, on XT wheels. Some that started out with broken spokes upgraded the spokes, that's when the rim and hub damage started. If the spokes were to strong to break, something else did. Seems everyone that has had this problem with the XTs wheels was running really low pressure.

Now I'm not saying low pressure does not have better off road performance, but it seems the XTs wheels are not that strong, and running low pressure puts more stress on them. I would definitely prefer straight pull spokes, with no bend at the hub end, and all parts built out of much higher quality material. But the XT is a budget bike, and that would break the budget.

As for what is causing all the wheel breakage, I'm just guessing. I run high pressure, overload the bike, and have never had problems. Others run low pressure and wind up with damaged wheels. Sure seems like more than a coincidence to me.

BTW, most of the complaints of wheel damage did come from another forum.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #9150
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillupright View Post
My wife has a 2007 XT225 that she really likes. She wanted better dirt, and especially gravel, handling so we mounted Dunlop MX71s. A quote from a MotorcycleUSA.com revue - "The MX71 is the right choice for a hard-packed track. It crosses over and performs well on intermediate terrain as well." We have them aired at 15 psi front & rear with Tubliss inserts, so we can go really low on pressure if we want, as the Tubliss inserts prevent rim damage well. She seems to like it quite a bit better than the stock dual sport tires at 18-25 psi. We mainly ride dirt/gravel roads & trails.
With your Tubeliss system I'd try 12PSI rear unless your bike is very heavily loaded. You can air down further in low traction conditions.
The Tubeliss doesn't do anything to prevent rim damage but the taller tire that you've fitted will help, as well as give you more traction.