Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #9151
norvegicus
waiting for spring...

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by norvegicus View Post
Selling my trusty XT. Makes me a bit sad, but I realized that I've spent more time putting it away each fall and getting it out again each spring the last two years than riding it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904240
I've been riding it to work and now I'm thinking of keeping it. What a great bike, I had forgotten.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #9152
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I will keep mine for as long as I am able to ride it. I have enough spare bikes and parts to keep it going forever. It costs $20 a year to register it and about $30 a year to insure it. No reason to get rid of it, it is one of the most fun bikes I've ever owned. I've had a LOT more fun on this little bike than I ever did on my Goldwing.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #9153
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
Quote:
I've been riding it to work and now I'm thinking of keeping it. What a great bike, I had forgotten.
My son used ours for months before leaving for Basic Training. Best commuter bike ever. Just a few bucks for gas every once in a while and it goes everywhere drama free.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #9154
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
I rarely ride my 225 (I have several other bikes), but it's such a wonderfull little bike, and set up just right for me, that I can't bear to part with it.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #9155
rextec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Aftermarket sprockets

Just wanted to share some information so you don't have to learn the hard way like i did. When ordering rear aftermarket sprockets for your XT make sure not to order JT sprockets... they are flat instead of dished and will not work unless if you shim and even then the metal is so thin on the hub bolt portion that it seems weak and poorly made. I ordered the 50T, Sunstar brand and it looks great! Very sturdy and the same offset as the factory sprocket. Hope this help someone out there! I also have a Sunstar front sprocket which fit perfectly. Ive heard the front JT sprockets only have one bolt hole but i cant confirm this.
rextec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #9156
alonzo
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by rextec View Post
Just wanted to share some information so you don't have to learn the hard way like i did. When ordering rear aftermarket sprockets for your XT make sure not to order JT sprockets... they are flat instead of dished and will not work unless if you shim and even then the metal is so thin on the hub bolt portion that it seems weak and poorly made. I ordered the 50T, Sunstar brand and it looks great! Very sturdy and the same offset as the factory sprocket. Hope this help someone out there! I also have a Sunstar front sprocket which fit perfectly. Ive heard the front JT sprockets only have one bolt hole but i cant confirm this.
That is helpful info. How many teeth on the front sprocket? Have you ridden with the 50T rear and if so, how do you like it? And, where did you get the Sunstar sprocket?

-- alonzo

1978 BMW R80/7
2009 BMW F650GS (do you think a new BMW every 30 years is too much?)

2006 Yamaha XT225
1970 Triumph Bonneville T120R

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."
¡sǝʞıq ʇɹıp ɟo ɟɟo ʎɐʇs pןnoɥs noʎ ǝqʎɐɯ uǝɥʇ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
alonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #9157
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Quote:
JT front sprockets fit fine and have two threaded holes.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #9158
rextec
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzo View Post
That is helpful info. How many teeth on the front sprocket? Have you ridden with the 50T rear and if so, how do you like it? And, where did you get the Sunstar sprocket?

-- alonzo
I haven't installed the rear sprocket yet. I purchased the 50T because the next rear tire im installing is a IRC TR11 Trials tire with a larger circumference, i will most likely run 15/50 with this setup. At the moment im running 14/45 (one down on front sprocket) with a Kenda K760 100/100/80 tire, off road its great and makes the gearing more useful for hill climbing and tight technical trails. With 14/45 gearing you will be revving higher at cruising speed but its not terrible. Overall a good compromise if you do mostly trail ridding and still want to hit the street.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #9159
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Quote:
I haven't installed the rear sprocket yet. I purchased the 50T because the next rear tire im installing is a IRC TR11 Trials tire with a larger circumference, i will most likely run 15/50 with this setup. At the moment im running 14/45 (one down on front sprocket) with a Kenda K760 100/100/80 tire, off road its great and makes the gearing more useful for hill climbing and tight technical trails. With 14/45 gearing you will be revving higher at cruising speed but its not terrible. Overall a good compromise if you do mostly trail ridding and still want to hit the street.
I use 15/50 gearing with a dual sport tire (Bridgestone TW302 4.60x18). With a Trials tire I would try to use a 14/50 set. Be aware that the Trials tire will require adjusting the wheel as far to the rear as possible to clear the shock guard and swingarm. That may dictate the gearing you end up with.

lamotovita screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 08:22 AM
lamotovita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #9160
rextec
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
I use 15/50 gearing with a dual sport tire (Bridgestone TW302 4.60x18). With a Trials tire I would try to use a 14/50 set. Be aware that the Trials tire will require adjusting the wheel as far to the rear as possible to clear the shock guard and swingarm. That may dictate the gearing you end up with.
Thanks for the heads up on that :). I have an extra master link and a few extra links of chain to get my chain right. I was thinking I may go with 14/50 depending on how it feels, its nice having options!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #9161
Rosa-Brazil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Brazilian XT 225 - Happy Trails SL Rack

I am a happy owner of a new to me 2006 XT225 made in Brazil. I am really enjoying this bike for urban use and I look forward to the off road fun!

There aren´t any options for side racks here in Brazil, so I am considering the Happy Trails SL Side Rack to use with the Wolfman Expedition bags I already have.

Here is a pic of the bike with the existing rear rack. I need to know if the attachments and dimensions are similar to the US XT 225. If someone who has the SL Rack could post the dimensions, excellent!

http://flic.kr/p/fh8YcJ

I am also curious to know what are the similarities and differences between the Brazil X Japan bikes.

cheers,
Rosa-Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #9162
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa-Brazil View Post
... I need to know if the attachments and dimensions are similar to the US XT 225.
Hmm ... Hard to say from the pic but that does look a bit different than my 2005 225 for the US.
Side panel, fender, tail light, muffler, & no grab bars all look different. Maybe that rack won’t fit with grab bars.
Is that a stock fender & tail light for a Brazilin XT225? I like that better.

Here is my home built rack on the 225. (I should move the tail light back under the rack.)

The pattern I made for it that shows the 8.875”, (225.425 mm, 8 -7/8”), between the mounting points for the rack & the grab bars.

Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #9163
Rosa-Brazil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Is that a stock fender & tail light for a Brazilin XT225? I like that better.
Yes, the bike is all stock and I believe this rear rack was sold at the Yamaha dealer. I will take more pics soon. Thanks for the measurements, will check compatibility !
Rosa-Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #9164
J5k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa-Brazil View Post
I am a happy owner of a new to me 2006 XT225 made in Brazil. I am really enjoying this bike for urban use and I look forward to the off road fun!

There aren´t any options for side racks here in Brazil, so I am considering the Happy Trails SL Side Rack to use with the Wolfman Expedition bags I already have.

Here is a pic of the bike with the existing rear rack. I need to know if the attachments and dimensions are similar to the US XT 225. If someone who has the SL Rack could post the dimensions, excellent!

http://flic.kr/p/fh8YcJ

I am also curious to know what are the similarities and differences between the Brazil X Japan bikes.

cheers,
Nice! The Brazilian model (especially the rear fender/taillight) is so much nicer looking than the US model. Nice score!
J5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #9165
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
The end of the exhaust doesn't have the small tip with the spark arrestor.

2000 ST1100 ABS
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote