Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #9616
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
I've got a mystery problem happening with my XT, I thought it was a dirty carb issue and today pulled the whole carb apart. Made the inside spotless and still got the issue...

Fresh gas and a new plug, didn't fix it either...

Idle is perfect and once the revs get up it will run. However anywhere between idle and 9/10ths it sucks. I'm thinking the ignition coil is packing it in. I've never had a coil go but as the bike ran perfect before and nothing else has fixed it, I can't think of anything else...

Any thoughts?
If it runs ok at 9/10th throttle I dont see how it could be electrical. Did you blow out all the carb passages with compressed air? Slide sticking somehow?
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #9617
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
If it runs ok at 9/10th throttle I dont see how it could be electrical. Did you blow out all the carb passages with compressed air? Slide sticking somehow?
Yeah we blew it all out, then double and triple checked it (I took it back off yesterday and checked it over again). As for the theory on the issue being electrical, a car mechanic friend thinks it could be that the increased power output at 9/10ths could be producing enough power to compensate for the failing coil. Could be wrong but no one seem to have any other ideas.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #9618
wesdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Yeah we blew it all out, then double and triple checked it (I took it back off yesterday and checked it over again). As for the theory on the issue being electrical, a car mechanic friend thinks it could be that the increased power output at 9/10ths could be producing enough power to compensate for the failing coil. Could be wrong but no one seem to have any other ideas.
Mine is doing the same thing... The black plastic enriching piece will break near the top, I just replaced it, still ran crappy, then finally threw my hands up and took it to the shop... They wrestled the jet that's down in the tube out... Idle jet maybe? . Runs better but still kicking on wide open drag strip start.... No power until really high revs kick in.... Sounds similar to your problem... I'm $315 into and sick I didn't just buy that replacement carb on eBay....
wesdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #9619
alonzo
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdawg View Post
Mine is doing the same thing... The black plastic enriching piece will break near the top, I just replaced it, still ran crappy, then finally threw my hands up and took it to the shop... They wrestled the jet that's down in the tube out... Idle jet maybe? . Runs better but still kicking on wide open drag strip start.... No power until really high revs kick in.... Sounds similar to your problem... I'm $315 into and sick I didn't just buy that replacement carb on eBay....
Make sure that the drain on the bottom of the float bowl isn't leaking. After a lot of bad running/jet changing (with little/no improvement) I discovered fuel dripping out of that drain (and the drain screw wouldn't stop it.) I pinched off the drain tubing (till I can remove carb and do a proper fix) and my troubles went away. I'm not sure if it was leaking enough fuel to lower the fuel level in the bowl or was maybe sucking air in at higher speed and causing bubbling (the bad running was at ~1/2 to WOT.)

-- alonzo

1978 BMW R80/7
2009 BMW F650GS (do you think a new BMW every 30 years is too much?)

2006 Yamaha XT225
1970 Triumph Bonneville T120R

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."
sǝʞıq ʇɹıp ɟo ɟɟo ʎɐʇs pןnoɥs noʎ ǝqʎɐɯ uǝɥʇ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
alonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #9620
Crazy Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdawg View Post
That sucks, I ordered a new coil last night and will see if that makes a difference. I don't really ever take my XT to the shop, I like to work on it myself and these days the bills add up too fast.

As far as this issue goes, I am 99% sure it is not carb related anymore. It is so damn clean in there and I did the correct step by step re-assembly as per the shop manual last time to make sure I wasn't goofing something up. So praying it turns out to be electrical in nature and the new coil fixes it.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #9621
Crazy Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzo View Post
Make sure that the drain on the bottom of the float bowl isn't leaking. After a lot of bad running/jet changing (with little/no improvement) I discovered fuel dripping out of that drain (and the drain screw wouldn't stop it.) I pinched off the drain tubing (till I can remove carb and do a proper fix) and my troubles went away. I'm not sure if it was leaking enough fuel to lower the fuel level in the bowl or was maybe sucking air in at higher speed and causing bubbling (the bad running was at ~1/2 to WOT.)

-- alonzo
No drip here...

Old 10-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #9622
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
No drip here...
The coil doesnt get hot but the stator does. The stator is a well known failure point for the XT225.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #9623
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
I think I will be ordering one shortly too, can't find any other cause for the present issues. Trying to decide about OEM or http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/.
I dont see xt225 listed at Ricks. How much do they charge?
Old 10-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #9624
Crazy Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
I dont see xt225 listed at Ricks. How much do they charge?
I was emailing with the people at Ricks and they originally said they would have something but then decided they didn't. So I ordered an OEM.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #9625
Crazy Canadian

Quote:
The coil doesnt get hot but the stator does. The stator is a well known failure point for the XT225.
I hope not... Last time I bought one of those for a different bike they were a 4-5 hundred dollars...

Old 10-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #9626
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
I hope not... Last time I bought one of those for a different bike they were a 4-5 hundred dollars...

I just replaced one on my PC800 and it was under $200. It was about $300 installed.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #9627
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
The stator is a well known failure point for the XT225.
It is not "well known" to me. I was employed at a Yamaha dealership from 1992-2007. I can't even guess how many 225s went through the doors but I don't remember any stator failures. It may have happened, but certainly wasn't common enough to notice.

Crazy Canadian, have you tested your stator?

You guys know that the stator is not the same for all years, right?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #9628
Crazy Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
It is not "well known" to me. I was employed at a Yamaha dealership from 1992-2007. I can't even guess how many 225s went through the doors but I don't remember any stator failures. It may have happened, but certainly wasn't common enough to notice.

Crazy Canadian, have you tested your stator?

You guys know that the stator is not the same for all years, right?
Not even sure how I would go about testing a stator...

Old 10-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #9629
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,808
I recommend Tim Parrot stators (http://www.tpe-usa.com/) I had him rebuild the stator on my Vulcan 750, over 50,000 miles ago, and it is still working fine. You have to pull the engine on that bike to replace the stator. He is in the U.S. and does great work. Ricks and Electrosport stators are supposedly made in China, and don't last very long.

BTW, does anyone know the front and rear axle nut sizes on the XT225? I don't have the bike here, and want to buy a couple of sockets to carry with me instead of the crescent wrench I have been using.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #9630
Dirtdeville
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Socket size

I believe the back two are 22mm and the front has a 22 and a 19mm.I got that off the procycle website if you wish to confirm.
Dirtdeville is offline   Reply With Quote