Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2008, 08:18 AM   #1081
Trander
PORTLY ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by navycoat
I finally added a dual sport to the stable and in just the few days that I've had my XT, all I can say is I love it! I was surprised at how it held 75 - 80 mph on the interstate (had to flat track it home from buying). I had to run around town getting it inspected, registered, etc. and was really pleased with how much fun it was to ride around.

Now, it's time to dress up the bike for some off roading. My local riding group has recommended these items:

skid plate
hand guards
spare levers
spare shifter

Please add anything else to the list and please advise where to find these items at a bargain. I know to check the classifieds here but is there a certain vendor that has these XT parts for a good price? I don't mind used or not so pretty parts.

Thanks so much!!
There is nothing wrong with the skid plate on it.
1986 Yamaha TT225
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ SECA
1978 Yamaha XS11

AMA Charter Life Member
Trander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #1082
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
If you're gonna do any trails, you'll be standing up.....get yourself some bar risers and/or higher bars.
Jiminy Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #1083
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,759
Quote:
I finally added a dual sport to the stable and in just the few days that I've had my XT, all I can say is I love it! I was surprised at how it held 75 - 80 mph on the interstate (had to flat track it home from buying). I had to run around town getting it inspected, registered, etc. and was really pleased with how much fun it was to ride around.

Now, it's time to dress up the bike for some off roading. My local riding group has recommended these items:

skid plate
hand guards
spare levers
spare shifter

Please add anything else to the list and please advise where to find these items at a bargain. I know to check the classifieds here but is there a certain vendor that has these XT parts for a good price? I don't mind used or not so pretty parts.

Thanks so much!!
Turbo City makes a great rear rack and has a version that will work with soft luggage if so desired.
I would add quality tires to that list as well. A bar mounted windshield is very nice as well.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #1084
trailz_rider
n00b

Oddometer: 4
What do you guys think of this?

I wonder what the going price is for a clean xt with less than 2000 original miles?

http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/mcy/921775126.html

trailz_rider screwed with this post 11-18-2008 at 08:01 PM
trailz_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #1085
MEDIC-0372
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Do XT250's count...here is my 2008.

Here it is in Ohio's Amish County...

MEDIC-0372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #1086
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 23,213
Question Where is that XT?

So - where is that bike listed? My husband is looking for one, and I haven't been able to find it's location yet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailz_rider
I wonder what the going price is for a clean xt with less than 2000 original miles?

http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/mcy/905632185.html

Hey - and MEDIC - that's MY bike!! I just turned 900 miles on it :^)
Old 11-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #1087
MasterChief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trander
There is nothing wrong with the skid plate on it.
I'll second that. The stock one does pretty good. I have not seen a better after market one.

You also do not need a spare shift lever. The stock one will bend and can be bent back to shape multiple tmes without breaking. I've tested that one myself.

Hand guards are good. I have moose but many others run acerbis. I got a spare set of levers on ebay. chapparl and dennis kirk also have them.

A free mod that helps on the trail is to flip the brake lever over so it sticks up similar to the way the ttr225 does.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #1088
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Indicated or true speeed??

Quote:

skid plate
hand guards
spare levers
spare shifter

Thanks so much!!
Is that indicated or true ? How much do you wieght? I am thinking about one when my son steals my DR200 in the spring.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #1089
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,765
Anyone know if there is more than one option for footpegs for the XT?
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #1090
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit
Anyone know if there is more than one option for footpegs for the XT?
I just ordered the weld on footpeg extenders and like them a lot. Wouldnt cost you much to have them welded on. And cheaper than buying the other ones all together.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #1091
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,765
Where did you get them?
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #1092
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit
Where did you get them?
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/xt225.htm

it says 1/2" but i welded them bout 1" out. I dont forsee them breaking... not with my weight or anything.

BUT DEFINATELY HELPS!
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #1093
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,227
technical question i guess:

i have an 1987 ttr225 with a bad tranny (actually the output shaft at kick gear end is gone...)

can i put a xt250/xt225/xt350/tw200? of just about any vintage in it without major modification? will the motor fit is the basic question ( i realize electric start etc. would be an issue)

or is the xt250/xt225/xt350/tw200 all the same bottom end (aside from elec start stuff - i'm assuming xt350 would probably be a no go - i'd have to look at bore/stroke issues..) and i can use my ttr225 top end?
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #1094
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle
technical question i guess:

i have an 1987 ttr225 with a bad tranny (actually the output shaft at kick gear end is gone...)

can i put a xt250/xt225/xt350/tw200? of just about any vintage in it without major modification? will the motor fit is the basic question ( i realize electric start etc. would be an issue)

or is the xt250/xt225/xt350/tw200 all the same bottom end (aside from elec start stuff - i'm assuming xt350 would probably be a no go - i'd have to look at bore/stroke issues..) and i can use my ttr225 top end?
Some bottom end parts of those bikes are shared but not all. The best way to check would be to go to bikebandit or other site that has online microfiche and cross reference part numbers. Actually the XT225 and ttr225 may share all parts, not sure, but I do know that the TW shares some but not all.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:19 AM   #1095
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,227
basically i just wanted to know if the mounting points on the cases are the same...
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote