User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
Tycho OP
rider

Oddometer: 259
Wunderlich performance controller

Has anyone purchased or had experience with an item from Wunderlich called a "performance controller". I have seen it listed on BMW Santa Cruz web site and am curious about it. Thanks.
Tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost
Has anyone purchased or had experience with an item from Wunderlich called a "performance controller". I have seen it listed on BMW Santa Cruz web site and am curious about it. Thanks.
Wait for the power commander to come out . It's gonna be better. It will let you tune the mixture more precisely. I think the one your talking about is made by techlusion wich only lets you adjust low mid and high. And you can't lean the mix . Only richen it. Which is most likely what yiour gonna want to do anyway. The power commander lets you adjust the mix in like 100 points through the rpm scale. I've been waiting for it to come out for like a year and a half. Bastids!........Oh ,I'm presuming you want it for the 1200. They have them for the 1150 already

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:09 PM   #3
FN in MT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Gray Ghost,

My 1200 was the test bike for the original Techlusion "controller". Dobeck Performance in Belgrade, Montana is the original designer and the manufacturer.

I CAN attest that my 05 is more powerful as well as smoother than it was pre-controller. I did also add a full Remus exhaust at the same time. I'm happy with mine and have had zero problems. BUT....It was installed and set up by experts.

Do a search....... as this subject has been covered before.

FN in MT

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge
FN in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
Bounce
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
I just installed a full Remus system and gotta say "wow"! Don't think I need a controller, but there is a little back pressure. Could that be from a lean mixture or an air leak? On full throttle the system is smooth as silk with more power. How could anyone want more?

If you won't stand behind our troops, please stand in front of them
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:23 PM   #5
Vampire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
I have the Techlusion performance controller on my '04 R1200GS and the difference is noticeable, particularly in hot weather.
I believe that the Power Commander will be a better unit, as for previous models, but it somewhere around 400% more expensive: you get what you pay for.
BMW Boxers typically run lean to meet European emission standards, so richening the mixture can improve a number of areas, except of course, fuel economy.
In addition to improved low end pickup, better mid range, and smoother running, I also noticed smoother gear changes while commuting. I think what happens is that on standard mixture settings, i.e. lean, the engine tends to die rapidly off-throttle and then the transition on-throttle is soemwhat abrupt. A richer mixture smooths out the transitions, and thus the gear changes, but I'm only theorising. But I have found gear changes much better in stop-start traffic.
As for fuel economy, after much fiddling with the unit, seat of the pants stuff only, no dyno, I my current settings have reduced the normal touring economy from 20.5 km/litre to 18.7 km/litre, a reduction of around 9%.
Is it worth it?
Not sure.
I suspect that if I was doing a lot of city work, then I would say "yes".
But for mainly country touring, which is what I do, I don't think the performance improvement, at an acceptable fuel economy reduction, is worth it for me.
I tried some richer settings which gave greater performance gains, but with a 25 - 30% increased fuel usage, which is what you would expect.
Anyone want to buy a used Techlusion for their R1200GS?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:03 AM   #6
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
Wait for the power commander to come out . It's gonna be better. It will let you tune the mixture more precisely. I think the one your talking about is made by techlusion wich only lets you adjust low mid and high. And you can't lean the mix . Only richen it. Which is most likely what yiour gonna want to do anyway. The power commander lets you adjust the mix in like 100 points through the rpm scale. I've been waiting for it to come out for like a year and a half. Bastids!........Oh ,I'm presuming you want it for the 1200. They have them for the 1150 already
Any date on the PC?
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:04 AM   #7
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost
PM Daotoys. Also do a search in Gspot, there's a good thread on it.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:05 AM   #8
Thunderpants
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
As has been said there is a great thread on this subject on the site, this http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108845&highlight=techlusion should take you straight to it.

As far as Power Commander goes I've used their products on previous bikes but any question about availabilty for the 1200GS got the response that currently they have no intention of producing one but kepp in contact as that might change in the future, as yet it has not.

Wunderlich as a company rebrand other products for sale, the power controller as has been mentioned is made by Techlusion so whether you souce one direct from the manufacturer or Wunderlich comes down to location and cost, being in Europe I went for the Wunderlich version.

I have a set of Remus headers with a BMW Akra can and a green airfilter (its exactly the same as Wunderlichs blue filter just sourced direct from the manufacturer as it was 33% cheaper) and the addition of the contoller in my opinion is worthwhile as the bike runs smoother and there is a noticeable increase in power and torque.

While it does not have the range of adjustment a Power Commander offers it's available now and does not require connecting to a computer to alter the settings.

I'm not sure it's a must have modification but if your changing exhausts and filters it's one I would definetly consider.
Thunderpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:23 AM   #9
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865

Has anyone here done their own installation of either the Wunderlich or Techlusion on their 1200?

If so could you answer a question or two?

Does the product connect to both injectors AND both O2 sensors?

Thanks.

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:15 AM   #10
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQD8R
Any date on the PC?
Unfortunatly.........No......But I hit the website from time to time ......hopeful. Yhey have them for the 1150. Something about the closed loop system on the 12's ....Sooner or later I guess..

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:37 AM   #11
MarcParnes
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
Has anyone here done their own installation of either the Wunderlich or Techlusion on their 1200?

If so could you answer a question or two?

Does the product connect to both injectors AND both O2 sensors?

Thanks.

- Jim
Yes, it does. Installation is all plug and play. Takes about 30 minutes. Less than half that to remove it.
A life of bikes
MarcParnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:57 AM   #12
Advaita Eyes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
What about Rhinewest?

Since we're on this topic, and if someone was comparing this product with the one from Rhinewest, are they basically the same? Or is thiere a significant difference between the two?

TIA

AE
Advaita Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:08 PM   #13
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcParnes
Yes, it does. Installation is all plug and play. Takes about 30 minutes. Less than half that to remove it.
Thanks Marc.

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:03 PM   #14
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire
Anyone want to buy a used Techlusion for their R1200GS?
If the price is right..I might bite
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:45 PM   #15
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advaita Eyes
Since we're on this topic, and if someone was comparing this product with the one from Rhinewest, are they basically the same? Or is thiere a significant difference between the two?

TIA

AE

completely based on what I recall (highly suspect, so you should search the topic), the Rhinewest chip produces a richer mixture across the board, whereas the Techlusion is adjustable in various ranges.

I don't think I've seen a dyno comparison.

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote