User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
williedikker OP
You bet he will... TWICE

Oddometer: 68
Will Seafoam contaminate a wet clutch?

Put a few ounces of Seafoam in my KLR tank and was impressed with the results. Ran alot smoother and not sure if it was the nice warm day or the Seafoam, but the varying idle issue I was dealing with was for the most part gone. It says you can put a few oz.'s in the crankcase to clean everything up. I was just wondering what that would do for a bike with a wet clutch? Anyone put this stuff in their oil? Terry
Old 11-09-2006, 05:26 PM   #2
joedints
Chigger Bait

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by williedikker
Put a few ounces of Seafoam in my KLR tank and was impressed with the results. Ran alot smoother and not sure if it was the nice warm day or the Seafoam, but the varying idle issue I was dealing with was for the most part gone. It says you can put a few oz.'s in the crankcase to clean everything up. I was just wondering what that would do for a bike with a wet clutch? Anyone put this stuff in their oil? Terry
I have put it in my cars, my wet clutched 1500 cc street bike but have not in my DRZ, not because I fear anything, just I ride it years run and it does not sit and collect moisture in the crankcase like the mean streak does over the winter...
NJ PINELANDS...
Protect and Preserve... DO NOT PROHIBIT!!!!!
joedints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
jorge
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Hey Will, it is great stuff but not something to put in your oil for an extended period... just a few minutes to let it loosen stuff up thinning oil is not good. I have a buddy who puts it in the oil for a few minutes right before an oil change... he loves it... i use it in the fuel on a regular basis in the bikes and the cars... great stuff...
DRZ 400S '02
XR 650 L '97
--------------------
Often wrong, never in doubt...Learn from your mistakes
jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #4
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,135
I just came across this a day or two ago referring to the same question:

Quote:
Here is the official Seafoam response:
d.davis@seafoamsale.com (d.davis@seafoamsales.com)
To: SLOWCHARGE

Subject: Sea Foam

Sea Foam is a 100% pure blended petroleum oil product, NO CHEMICALS. That is just FYI!

Sea Foam should be used in the fuel in your motorcycle, to clean carbon, add lubrication to the fuel, clean the fuel system, dry moisture and stabilize your fuel for up to 2 years. That would be at one ounce per gallon of fuel.

Now, here's your answer/technical education for today:

Sea Foam is also widely recommended for engine oil crankcases for cleaning oil residues and drying moisture as a pre service cleaner, after service additive or problem solver for oil residue related problems. ALL ENGINES!

If your wet clutch and engine oil share fluids, then Sea Foam Motor Treatment # SF-16 is EXCELLENT for that system. Partly because residue causes problems, but mainly because there may be excessive moisture in a shared system like that.

Moisture is the #1 thing that will deteriorate a "water based adhesive" clutch. That would be a clutch material with a water base glue as it's "Binding" material, similar to what is used in all automatic transmissions, where an oil based adhesive would dissolve in the oil or fluid.

ANY system that uses a "WET" clutch, the clutch material itself is made with and adheres to the steel components using water based adhesives, plus sometimes rivets. Like "SUPER ELMER'S GLUE", but, of course, BETTER QUALITY!

Some wet clutch systems use hydraulic oils/ATF's, in which case Sea Foam TRANS TUNE would be recommended, it is for hydraulic oils, and all the above apply.

Hope this helps!
d??? Davis
Technical Services Manager
Sea Foam Sales Company
Minneapolis, Minnesota

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote