Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2006, 06:46 AM   #16
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,373
You might find this website comes in handy too, Bill.

http://www.ktminfo.com/partscat/Page...278&Cat=320475
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:09 PM   #17
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf
You might find this website comes in handy too, Bill.

http://www.ktminfo.com/partscat/Page...278&Cat=320475
Thanks Rhys, Yeah KTM World what a place! I'm thinking of doing a bulk order from 'em might save some $$$. Question is KTM Talk much of a forum?
Old 11-12-2006, 01:42 PM   #18
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Instrument bracket

Hey OldDog, did you happen to get any pics of the instrument bracket before you removed it?

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:46 PM   #19
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog
G'day Bill, Below is a pic of the airbox showing the valve thingy on the side, sorry i have no idea what it does, it's just an alloy plate with a hole behind it leading into the airbox, the plate is a bit flexible so may let air in at some point, maybe theres someone out there can help? Filter is just a normal foam one, the airbox itself is much larger than a normal 640's, also see the holes drilled at the back, they're normally covered by mesh as is the top but the material is unavailable. The carb is a Dellorto PHM 40

Hope that helps
Bill (the other one)
Bill
The 660 Rallye's run an overbored 40mm carbie which takes it out to 41mm.
The body says PHM40, so get the Verniers out and have a measure.

Great thread, I will get some good info for rebuilding mine

Hey have you thought about Painting it GS 'Ewan' Silver

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #20
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Quote:
Thanks Rhys, Yeah KTM World what a place!
Munn racing is good also for looking up part #'s etc, but they don't have the ones for your bike. I haven't order parts through either of them, yet.

I have through Sommer KTM in Germany though, and they were great. They can do emails (and phone calls too) in English and ship very fast. I'd recomend them over the US places as Sommer would be better at answering any LC4 questions you have, as they have the most experience.
I'm thinking of doing a bulk order from 'em might save some $$$. Question is KTM Talk much of a forum? Its OK, I'm a member there but don't go there because there's heaps more LC4 info here IMO
http://www.ktm-sommer.de/Seiten_06/f_start_06.html

http://216.165.194.66/munnracing/cat...?theirgroup=15
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
Old 11-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #21
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs
Bill
The 660 Rallye's run an overbored 40mm carbie which takes it out to 41mm.
The body says PHM40, so get the Verniers out and have a measure.

Great thread, I will get some good info for rebuilding mine

Hey have you thought about Painting it GS 'Ewan' Silver
Whats GS 'Ewan' Silver look like ?

Is that the colour of the bike used in "The wrong way Down".

Hi Bill

Old 11-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #22
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf
Whats GS 'Ewan' Silver look like ?

Is that the colour of the bike used in "The wrong way Down".

Hi Bill

*sigh* I guess it was only a matter of time wasn't it? You going to THE BEER NIGHT?
Old 11-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #23
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoder
Hey OldDog, did you happen to get any pics of the instrument bracket before you removed it?
G'day Hoder, no i didn't actually, i'm assuming you mean the whole cockpit includeing the ICO's and road book? I'll get a few pics when i get back and post 'em up for you. I'm heading off to get my GS which has just been repaired and it'll a long, slow ride home, should be back next Monday.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:11 PM   #24
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,269
good on ya for keeping a chunk of history on the road
if you get stuck on parts post on ktmtalk.com
thanks for keeping this out of the graveyard
Old 11-12-2006, 09:00 PM   #25
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Quote:
*sigh* I guess it was only a matter of time wasn't it? You going to THE BEER NIGHT?
yep.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:35 PM   #26
jfn68
Banned

Oddometer: 620
Make sure you flush out all the external oil lines and the frame,my bike had debri in both after its failure,just that nice frosty lapping paste stuff that would of taken many hours of engine life away if these were not flushed,also check the oil pumps,the pair of mine were no good,and also the most important thing is to make sure you set up the crankshaft end float to spec,get all your measurements correct!!!!!!,before installing the bearing inner race on the crank,check you got the shims in the parts you ordered,you will need them.
jfn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:20 PM   #27
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn68
Make sure you flush out all the external oil lines and the frame,my bike had debri in both after its failure,just that nice frosty lapping paste stuff that would of taken many hours of engine life away if these were not flushed,also check the oil pumps,the pair of mine were no good,and also the most important thing is to make sure you set up the crankshaft end float to spec,get all your measurements correct!!!!!!,before installing the bearing inner race on the crank,check you got the shims in the parts you ordered,you will need them.
Thanks for the tip off's about the frame, it's probably full of junk too, and the crank float, just had a quick look at the crank and it's still got the old bearing inner races on there, i'll never get 'em off myself so it's going to the shop.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:29 PM   #28
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Eek

Okay folks, now it's time for the engine damage pics, get your tissues ready this is nasty stuff. I'm impressed with it though, this engine ran another 50 km's after the rider suspected a problem, and it started straight up the next day!

Hmmmm where did all this shrapnel come from?

Horrifying isn't it

Once the rest of the "cosmetic" work is done i'll start putting it back together. Heres a few pics of the bike mocked up

Old 11-17-2006, 02:15 AM   #29
The Misinformant
What road?

Oddometer: 349
OldDog,

The thing that looks like a needle roller bearing race without any needles?

Is that the stuffed big end that caused the failure?

If it is and it still ran that is absolutely bloody amazing!
The Misinformant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #30
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Yeah it was the big end that caused all the trouble all right, i've got most of the needle rollers, looks like three were ground up . I thought it may have damaged the head as well, but it appears fine, looks like all the damage as done on the power stroke which makes sense.