User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2006, 02:11 AM   #31
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,259
Next installment - Electrics

Well, heres the next instalment, the wiring. It was a bit dodgey (sorry Legless) and sported a fair few of those crappy crimp connectors which i figure will eventually loosen up and cause faults, so i went through and removed 'em all and soldered up the connections. This will do the job for the moment, i'll replace the harness at a later date as it's pretty easy to do but prefer to spend my $$ on engine bits for now.
Anyway, hooked it all up last night, crossed my fingers and connected the battery, for a wonder, no smoke, no fire!! The second surprise, most of it worked!

Old 11-21-2006, 02:33 AM   #32
Racketeer
Must escape......

Oddometer: 881
Well done Olddog...

Lookin great.
Racketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:51 AM   #33
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog
Well, heres the next instalment, the wiring. It was a bit dodgey (sorry Legless)
Don't appologize to him, he's the heathen bastige that destroyed this example of KTM's finest. And rode it an extra 50 km to make sure it was stuffed good and proper.

And he stole your 200 MPH club ZX12R and dumped this box of stuff on ya to take its place .

no wonder he left town so fast.

(admitedly, it would be hard to leave town slowly on a big blocked, nitrous fed zx12 )
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:39 AM   #34
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf
Don't appologize to him, he's the heathen bastige that destroyed this example of KTM's finest. And rode it an extra 50 km to make sure it was stuffed good and proper.

And he stole your 200 MPH club ZX12R and dumped this box of stuff on ya to take its place .

no wonder he left town so fast.

(admitedly, it would be hard to leave town slowly on a big blocked, nitrous fed zx12 )
Heh i still got the Nitrous kit...............
Old 11-21-2006, 04:02 AM   #35
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Quote:
Heh i still got the Nitrous kit...............
Look out Finke desert racer's, here comes old dog
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
Old 11-21-2006, 06:22 PM   #36
Chadleys1
working on it

Oddometer: 568
Bravo

I love this thread.
Keep it up.!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:00 PM   #37
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Evenin All,
Time to clear up a few mistakes i've made regards the bikes history.
I initially thought the thing had done 2 dakars and some Aus Safari's, well thanks to Craig Hartley of Dalby Moto and Woody at Race Motorcycles in Alice Springs i now have a better picture.
The bike's complianced as a '99 but was more than likely built in '98 and was raced in the '99 Granada - Dakar by an un-named German. Didn't get a place as it didn't finish due to ummmm "operator error". The bike was imported into Australia with 2 others and used in the '99 Australian Safari, i was correct about the rider being Tim Fitzhardinge, he also rode this bike again in the 2000 Australian Safari. Dunno how he went. Anyway, Craig then bought it off Woody in '01 and used it for his adventure bike and was retired at the end of '03 when the new 950's came out. It was dragged out of mothballs for the '04 Australian Safari and it was still competitive even though it was suffering fuel pump isssues, Craig mentioned he got a 4th place in one 195km stage that was bloody rough. Anyway it ended up busting a crankcase so was retired from the race, rebuilt and put on display at Dalby Moto when Shane (Leglessone) bought it......and now it's mine, aaaaaallllll miiiiiiine !!!!
I don't have any plans to race it, i just don't have the skills.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:26 AM   #38
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,691
Quote:

Once the rest of the "cosmetic" work is done i'll start putting it back together. Heres a few pics of the bike mocked up

Hey I got one Just like it . . . . no Engine
Name:  23112006215 (Medium).jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  86.6 KB

Pezz_gs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:42 AM   #39
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs
Attachment 93212
I hope we ain't starting a trend here
Old 11-23-2006, 05:40 AM   #40
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs
Attachment 93212
Is that a common thing on that model?

Sorry,could not resist...
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:42 PM   #41
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Invader

Sorry,could not resist...
Yes this is the first model with the self ejecting engine, when it shits itself it literally blows up!
Old 11-23-2006, 11:59 PM   #42
jfn68
Banned

Oddometer: 620
Hey Olddog,Iwas told Tim F once owned my 2000 660 and raced it in the 2k safari,this guy must of owned every 660 in australia!!!,one things for sure i never want to own the one he cartwheeled down that fence line in a later safari.
jfn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:05 AM   #43
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Yes this is the first model with the self ejecting engine, when it shits itself it literally blows up!
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:07 AM   #44
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn68
Hey Olddog,Iwas told Tim F once owned my 2000 660 and raced it in the 2k safari,this guy must of owned every 660 in australia!!!,one things for sure i never want to own the one he cartwheeled down that fence line in a later safari.
I've got that on DVD. hurts just to watch , eh.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:11 AM   #45
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Invader
Its a limited edition KTM, released especially for BM owners that want a KTM, but are to scared of the power of the engine.

Or was it the power pulse's they're afraid of