Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2006, 09:00 AM   #61
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf
Paging PezzGS to the orange courtesy phone -

I think some one already has, race m/c's in Alice springs ????
Sadly, I have never been to the Springs.

My visits to the Lucky Country have all been sailing or surf related. I did have a neat "forbidden fruit" RZ when I lived in Freo, however

I hope to spend 3-4 weeks taking in the middle bits with the fam in the next years. Wife says she can hardly wait to meet all my old sheilas.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:07 AM   #62
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,461
Now how dya fix this?

Just started on the motor, cleaning out the metal flakes was a pita specially on the magnetised stuff. After a suggestion from Pezz i made up a small elctro magnet which worked a treat! Anyway, got around to pulling the oil pumps apart and sure enough, the main pump is gouged up pretty bad and had a fair bit of debris packed inside. The faces of the gears are still serviceable so i may be able to remachine the housing and use it again (the pump is nil stock).

Not the best pic

OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:12 AM   #63
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
What's your camera/lens/film/scanner setup?
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:31 AM   #64
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
What's your camera/lens/film/scanner setup?
I use a Canon normally but this rubbish pic was taken with my phone camera.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:30 PM   #65
jfn68
Banned

Oddometer: 620
I had to wait a couple of weeks for my oil pumps,boltons got them for me,just a thought,if you machine the faces of the gerotor pump the rotors would have to also be faced then you got a pump with a lower displacement?.....less oil flow?,maybe better off waiting for the new ones,have a good look also at the plastic pump drive gear,they take a hammering when debri goes through the pump,mine was in a million pieces.
jfn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #66
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

G'day John, Actually had a spot of luck and got one this morning. So far i've been doing well getting bits, wonder how long it'll last Thanks for the tip about the gears, i hadn't checked them. You've got a PM by the way.
Bill
Old 12-04-2006, 11:17 PM   #67
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn68
I had to wait a couple of weeks for my oil pumps,boltons got them for me,just a thought,if you machine the faces of the gerotor pump the rotors would have to also be faced then you got a pump with a lower displacement?.....less oil flow?,maybe better off waiting for the new ones,have a good look also at the plastic pump drive gear,they take a hammering when debri goes through the pump,mine was in a million pieces.
G'day John

You been out on your 660 lately??

Bill, the oil pump gears are two sizes.

The second one supplies oil to 5h gear IIRC

Pezz :)

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:33 PM   #68
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
Fun read, Old Dog. I love these rebuild threads.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:18 AM   #69
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs
G'day John

You been out on your 660 lately??

Bill, the oil pump gears are two sizes.

The second one supplies oil to 5h gear IIRC

Pezz :)
Thankfully both gears are fine. Looks like the smaller gear drives the main oil pump (the fragged one) larger drives the pump for 5th gear.

Thanks GP, i'm havin a great time building this thing up, can't wait to get it running!
Old 12-05-2006, 11:30 AM   #70
v8turbo
When in Doubt.... Gas it.

Oddometer: 695
keep it coming.......

v8turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:41 PM   #71
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Help! Crank float measurement

Alrighty John, Pezz, Lurking Guru's
I've measured up the cases as per KTM's advice and get a total case depth of 68.3mm + 0.3mm for gasket = 68.6mm. Crank width is quoted by my mechanic mate as 65.2mm (he's got the crank and is waiting to press up the inner races). So that's 68.6mm - 65.2mm gives me a massive 3.4mm float!!! I measured it twice. So what have i stuffed up? Are there any tricks for the noob to watch out for here? Is there a raised land under where the inner race fits? Are Rallye cases wider? I doubt that though. And theres no way to press the bearing too far through either.

Well you did warn me this would be tedious!
Old 12-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #72
SamH
90S on the bench

Oddometer: 434
Bit of a tangent, salvaged computer hard drive magnets work well for removing flakes from magnatised stuff too.

You know, just fyi
SamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:45 PM   #73
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog
Alrighty John, Pezz, Lurking Guru's
I've measured up the cases as per KTM's advice and get a total case depth of 68.3mm + 0.3mm for gasket = 68.6mm. Crank width is quoted by my mechanic mate as 65.2mm (he's got the crank and is waiting to press up the inner races). So that's 68.6mm - 65.2mm gives me a massive 3.4mm float!!! I measured it twice. So what have i stuffed up? Are there any tricks for the noob to watch out for here? Is there a raised land under where the inner race fits? Are Rallye cases wider? I doubt that though. And theres no way to press the bearing too far through either.

Well you did warn me this would be tedious!
You could have the crank in upside down . . . .

PM'd ya

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:49 AM   #74
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

okay after much fartarsing about i solved the problem. It turns out that the crank has a slightly raised area where the inner race mounts, totals almost 1mm. I remeasured the cases using the KTM suggested method and came up with the same old dimensions, so i assembled the cases and measured using an internal mic, total inside dimension between races is now down over 1 mm, wtf obviously i have no idea how to read a set on verniers, anyway, i've now got the end float down to .8mm, still not trusting my measurements i reassembled the cases with the crank inside and meeasured the end float....yup .8mm. FINALLY!....bloody drove me nuts trying to work that out
Old 12-06-2006, 06:10 AM   #75
jfn68
Banned

Oddometer: 620
Hey olddog,not a fun job that part of it is it!!!!!,i checked,double checked my measurements,you dont want a mistake where the incorrect amount of shims have been put under the races,to get the races off the crank without damage would be difficult,to put mine on i got a chip fryer filled with engine oil,i put the 2 races in and heated them up that way,they dropped straight on,not a good idea to hit the races with a punch,to much risk of damage...........hey pezz,it hasnt turned a wheel for ages!
jfn68 is offline   Reply With Quote