User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
Tycho OP
rider

Oddometer: 259
purchase of Husqvarna te510

I am curious if anyone has opinions on someone purchasing a 2007 Husqvarna te510. I have read so many conflicting comments on husqvarna motorcycles that I am really hesitant to purchase the bike. Do they really have a lot of problems with reliability and availability of parts from dealers or are complaints I've read about simply overstatements from unreasonable customers?
If anyone has purchased one recently, I would appreciate any feedback from your experience. Thanks.
Tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
poppy
Slow and Steady

Oddometer: 2,051
grayghost , i have an 05te 510 that i bought october 05 and apart from jetting issues ( they seem to be jetted quiet rich from factory) no issues at all . Lots of info on thumper talk .com or husky talk .com regarding huskies.
We ride with ktms yamaha's ext and bike is proving to be as reliable as they are. Some of the issues you may have heard about could be related to different peoples riding styles , riding clutches and over heating the bike is an issue.Good components on bikes ,good warranty ,good build quality , lots of torque easy to work on , nice suspension. Valves have been checked and are still fine (not moved).Some people complain about parts but and dealers ect. There is not as much around in after market type stuff as there is for other brands but the more people out there with them the sooner that should change .
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:29 PM   #3
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,010
Aftermarket parts are a mouse click or phone call away, some people have a hard time understanding that these bikes don't need aftermarket pipes, & other go fast gadgets. if you do alot of offroad, get an aftermarket skidplate, barkbuster's & jet it (JD kit), thats it, all you need, parts are all topshelf, if you go SM, just jet it & hold on tight.

The 250\450\510 are high performance with closer service intervals, if you go with the 610, it's a little heavier, mellower, with longer service intervals. Six month warranty, mostly great dealers ( everywhere in every facet of life there will be the odd bad apple) a breeze to service, & get at carb. air filter, etc..Very reliable, I love mine, try one out if you can.

Best part, the 06-07 are fully street legal, no loopholes to jump through

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
EMrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
There is a lot of nonsense folklore about Huskies circulating on the web. Same was true of KTM 7-8 years ago, and at some point in the past these comments were probably justified. Not today, however. I did a lot of research before buying mine and found late model TE owners to be very satisfied with their bikes. Now that I own a TE450, I know why. The off road performance is awesome and the build and component quality is excellent. I rode KTM for 5 years before the TE and will probably never go back. The Husky is that good. Check out the Husky forum on TT for lots of good info. You will get a good and balanced overview on the bikes.
R
EMrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,600
Another new and satisfied Husky owner here.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...orcycleriders/
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #6
tmh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
Another new and satisfied Husky owner here.
+1

I bought my '05 TE-510 brand new and at a great discount in May of this year. What a capable and confidence inspiring ride! To date zero problems = 100% fun.

Lots of talk about the TE-450 having more low end torque. I can't even imagine what I would do with any more torque, and I'm no lightweight.

Buy it and start having a blast. Great spec on these bikes results in relatively little need for any upgrading out of the crate (except for a 3.5 gal IMS tank). I'm still catching up on the bike's stock capabilities.

Tom

tmh screwed with this post 11-10-2006 at 09:13 PM
tmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #7
newcastlebrown
cars suck

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh
+1
Lots of talk about the TE-450 having more low end torque. I can't even imagine what I would do with any more torque, and I'm no lightweight.

Tom

Reliability isn't an issue. I put well over 200 hours on an 04' TE450 before moving to the plated 06' 510. My 450 was used for racing (including GP's, enduro's, Vet-X mx and back-up bike for the Glen Helen 24 Hr.) and TON's of trail riding and practice at Cauhilla creek and Elsinore mx tracks all without needing so much as a spark plug. I made the mistake of letting a friend ride it and he talked me into selling it to him or I'd still have it......it's still running stong (got 16th Sr Nov at last weeks Big6 GP)

Just change the oil & filter and proceed.

Then comes the 450/510 debate.....I've had both, the 510 is great but the 450 is better IMHO.
newcastlebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:19 AM   #8
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,099
I've owned a husqvarna for the past 7 years. Parts haven't been a problem, build quality is the best I've seen and its been totally reliable. I'd highly recomend one!

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:34 AM   #9
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,575
Lower end rebuild

Husky experts

Considering trading for an 08 TE510, but I need some help. Reading a ton about 4k rod replacement. Is that true and how expensive is it? I put a lot of miles on my DS each year and I just can't justify a lower end rebuild every year.

Thanks for the help.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:15 AM   #10
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

I doubt posting in a somewhat off topic, 3 year old thread is going to help a whole lot

All that said, no one replaces the rod as a maintenance item, don't worry about it. If you do a ton of street riding you probably won't like the TE510, but you won't hurt it either.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #11
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
I doubt posting in a somewhat off topic, 3 year old thread is going to help a whole lot

All that said, no one replaces the rod as a maintenance item, don't worry about it. If you do a ton of street riding you probably won't like the TE510, but you won't hurt it either.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't even look at the age of the thread. I don't do a lot of road riding...I just do long off road rides. Typical weekend is 3-400 of off road riding with a little tarmac mixed in.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #12
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Then I'd think it would suit you very well, particularly if that off road riding is rather spirited. The TE510 is more or less equivalent to the KTM RFS series. The TE610 is their more relaxed, long stroke/lower rpm dual sport/touring oriented machine.

Where do you find so many miles of off road? I didn't know there were 400 miles of trails in the entire state of NC!

Old 05-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #13
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Where do you find so many miles of off road? I didn't know there were 400 miles of trails in the entire state of NC!
You just got to look, but it's there.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #14
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 342
First post, double resurrected thread, possible newb overly asked question(s)

I'm looking at an 07' Te 510 w/ 3xx miles for $4495, does that seem reasonable? Taking into consideration that it is coming from a dealer, they seemed cool from a brief conversation.

I also noticed that some of you guys up top no longer list huskys in your sig lines, any particular reasons?

I'm not even sure what that smiley means, but i feel like im over researching, i just want to get out there. Haven't owned a dirt bike since being a teenager, I'm 32 now. Not interested in highway cruising...just back roads, dirt roads, trails, etc......note: didn't feel another thread needed to be added, I've come across a bunch.
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:06 AM   #15
Dirtmongrel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrinSearchin View Post
First post, double resurrected thread, possible newb overly asked question(s)

I'm looking at an 07' Te 510 w/ 3xx miles for $4495, does that seem reasonable? Taking into consideration that it is coming from a dealer, they seemed cool from a brief conversation.

I also noticed that some of you guys up top no longer list huskys in your sig lines, any particular reasons?

I'm not even sure what that smiley means, but i feel like im over researching, i just want to get out there. Haven't owned a dirt bike since being a teenager, I'm 32 now. Not interested in highway cruising...just back roads, dirt roads, trails, etc......note: didn't feel another thread needed to be added, I've come across a bunch.

The 510 is an awesome fast powerful bike... be prepared to move quickly at any blip of throttle

I own an 08 te510 love it, but it can get very exhausting trying to fight the beast in tighter sections,.. its actually easier to muscle my overweight underpowered DRZ400 through those same trails, I can ride the DRZ much longer just not faster.

To get back into riding after many years off a 250/310 may be more enjoyable, unless you were skilled and fast already and need almost 60hp
Dirtmongrel is offline   Reply With Quote