User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
jmann327 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
1991 suzuki dr 250

Found one on Craigslist for $1700.00, 1200 miles. Any thing I should look for? Plan to use it for mainly for fire roads.
jmann327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
Castleman

Oddometer: n/a
Pros: reliable, easy to start, easy maint., decent brakes, parts are easy to get, $1,700 is an OK price.

Cons: lack of power for extended highway riding, soft suspension, crappy shock and fork valving, low seat height for shorter people, heavy for its size.

A good fire road kinda bike that can't be pushed very hard off road. A good first bike or for slow speed exploring.

Good luck
Old 11-11-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,163
Dito to above, although it can be pushed hard off road, it just won't perform like a modern race bike. It wasn't all that long ago that folks were racing DR350's (same bike) in ISDE's and all sorts of rather serious off road races.

Its a perfect bike for general exploring, fire roads, single track and pretty much any riding that doesn't involve huge jumps or being in a huge hurry. Its not fast, but its faster than most folks think. Its very comfortable for its class, super reliable and long lasting (a guy on TT has 143k miles on one with no engine work). For your uses (mostly fire road) I can't think of a better bike. It really is an excelent alternative to the 650 single cylinder thumpers for most riding. Anything below interstate speed I perfer my 250 to my dad's 650L. Its lighter, smoother and the motor is more flexable (doesn't shudder as much at lower rpms, revs out much higher) and uses less fuel.

Only known flaw reliability wise is the counter ballance shaft pin which in a few rare cases manages to work its way out and cause major trouble. Its so rare I wouldn't worry about it, but if your really ocd about that stuff you can read up on it at kientech.com

I recently purchased a newer one which is the same except that its got E-start and more weight. Its not on par with my CR250R race bike off road, but its far more capable than most riders. I wouldn't want to race a harescramble on it, but have no doubt that if I did I'd place mid pack or better in the C-class (I normally race B class). Even then there's a lot more potential in the bike. I've been totally blown away by a friend on a DR350 (with street oriented tires) in technical off road stuff before and I mean totally absolutely left in the dust. Granted the friend is top pro enduro guy but it just goes to show that its mostly rider. I bought the bike just for putting around with my wife and such and have been happily suprised at how much more capable it is than I expected both on and off road.

It will happily run 65mph all day long on the highway with 15/42 gearing (stock is 14/42, but on the 350 stock is 15/41) with almost no vibs. The bike itself remains stable and composed even at higher speeds, but the motor gets a bit buzzy.

I rode mine home to VA from NY and averaged 76mpg and that was with much lower than stock gearing.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703

BikePilot screwed with this post 11-11-2006 at 06:19 PM
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote