Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2006, 01:16 AM   #16
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,805
I have an '02. The price really depends on how much extra stuff is hung on the bike. Contributors to a higher sale price are hard bags, non-stock exhaust, Touratech GPS mount, Renazco seat, heated grips...you get the idea. Start at $3.5-4.5K and start adding up the goodies. I would subtract dollars for miles over 15-20K. You are getting into wheel bearing, water pump and suspension work.

I bought mine a couple of seasons ago loaded with goodies for $5.6K which seemed about right but I had to do the exhaust.
I tore into mine mechanically at 12K miles, everything looked good except the rear suspension linkage. There was some corrosion, I saved it but you should ask the owner if he keeps that linkage up(it has to be disassembled to be serviced). A leaky countershaft was my only other issue. I am at 18K miles now and running strong.

I bet you money all the 640 Adventure bikes are going to become classics like the old airhead BMW R80GS.
It is a simple, correct design with no major flaws, quality built and well supported by KTM and in the accessory market. There are a ton of engines out there and you rarely here of one totally gone.
The prices of used machines will only go so low cause the new ones will be expensive and more complicated.

More importantly the 640 Adventures are beautiful to look at. The shape of the tank and the flowing lines of the rest of the machine says big fucking adventure dirt bike better than anything else.

All IMHO.
Bill in Tomahawk, WI

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:54 AM   #17
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
I have been riding bikes for 13yrs and am more than a little mechanically inclined. I have mostly owned mostly vintage bikes and always worked on everything on my own. 1970s hondas and Moto Guzzis are my thing.

I bought mine this summer and let the sexiness of the bike lure me in like a hot gold diggin whore that really just wants your money. It is hard to buy an adventure in your home town. So most cases you end up going out of town to get one. You get excited, you plan a trip and think irrationally. I bought mine in July of this year. The bike was a claimed 9 out of 10 condition and needed nothing. The PO said he cleaned the air filter for me and changed the oil so it was ready for the long trip though the hot AZ and UT desert. So these 2 items I didn't even look at when I picked the bike up.

The bike for sure was a 10 footer. It looked fantastic at this distance, new paint, nice tires, decals.. But it was dirty from a recent ride. Needless to say dirt hides a lot. From what I saw right off in my quick once over was it needed a new chain and sprockets, and some brakes. I figured what the hell that isn't too big of a deal and took the bike home. Not what I was expecting but, I had an awesome 1000mile DS ride planned through some of the coolest areas in the state. I just wanted to get on the road.

To say the least the bike was slow on my trip home. I figured it needed some carb lovin.
I found this when I got home:

Is this an air filter or some kind of pastry? Had the PO had done the Baja 1000 with this filter.........This says it all about the condition of the bike and how it was maintained. I ride real dirt bikes in the desert every weekend. I have never seen a filter like this one, even after a race. Don't always believe what anyone says EVER about a bike...Check this stuff out for yourself when buying a bike. No matter how nice they are. Anyway that was july. After 100s of $$ and lots of time the bike is now becoming pretty sorted out. I at least know its flaws, I hope. In the end I paid a bit much for what I got, but 640a's don't grow on trees. I really like the bike now and think I will end up keeping it for a long time. The bike is an 03, had 14,000 miles when I bought it. I paid $5000. All of these things have had to be sorted out. Some stuff major and other stuff basic stuff that was needed.
  • Chain and sprockets
  • Spark Plug
  • Oil changed
  • Valves adjusted, they had .00000 clearance
  • Carb float height corrected
  • water pump seals and shaft failed completely in Aug. Synthetic oil isn't supposed to look like caramel??
  • overspray from frame paint cleaned off of engine, forks, shock, wheels, cables, airbox, swingarm........
  • shock rebuilt needed new bushings throughout. Most likely never serviced.
  • front end alignment issues.. Now on the hunt for new triple clamps/ or complete fork.
  • Front and rear wheel trued and torqued
  • linkage and bearings replaced, the dogbone pivots in the frame were partially seized.
  • Swingarm lubed
  • The nice new paint pops off like an easter egg shell when the bike is dropped. It now has large 1/16" deep patches missing on each side of the tank. This one is on the list to fix.
So my advice to anyone going to look at any bike out of town is this. Check it all out. Don't be too excited. Get very specific pics of the bike before you go. Closeups of chain/sprockets, brakes, tires, odometer, shock, forks, and even the air filter will give you a better idea of the condition before you go. Don't buy a dirty bike or look at it at night. Bring cash, or at least some cash to negotiate. Don't just show up with a bank check for the agreed amount.
And be ready to hop back on a plane and just come home. Plane tickets are cheaper than a project bike.
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:13 PM   #18
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,014
Mine was cheap and perfect

I must have got the deal of a lifetime. I found my '01 Adv on Cycletrader one Monday morning. It was at Canyon Honda in Scottsdale, AZ on consignment. The owner has many bikes and needed room in his garage for another one, so the Adv "had to go".

The advertised price was $4000 INCLUDING the factory plastic hard luggage, it had just been serviced by the dealer, and it already had the recalled front wheel replaced. I called first thing in the morning and bought it verbally. Several others called after I did but too bad.. I did have to pay sales tax (can't escape that) and a "document preparation fee" from the dealer which seemed pretty high but they were very friendly and helpfull with the entire process.

The bike had 700 miles on it and just a couple of rubs or scratches. I have since put on 5000 miles and the only problem is both fork seals are now shot. I sold the hard luggage on ADVrider for $400 + freight which was a pretty good deal for both buyer and seller.

On the downside I looked for a bike for several months and had to fly to Phoenix and ride it home in the winter. (I don't count the cost of this because the ticket was free and the return trip was my first ADVENTURE)

Bottom line is if you have patience and luck, you can get the bike you want. I do agree with the statement above,

"Never buy a used LC4 from anybody who has used it the way it is meant to be used, period !
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:52 PM   #19
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
You tell me pookie poo... what do you think it is?
I don't think some folks gotcha... I'll try to be painfully obvious:

Quote:
... what I think is a good, although not necessarily complete by any means, list of things to look for... and an opinion on buying used LC4s in general.
Quote:
This was my intent for posting... I can't remember everything off the top of my head and as I don't know "FB" from Adam, I didn't want to invest too much time and effort into doing what would be his research.
But after considering what I had down already, I figured that if I posted it, then other knowledgeable folks would add in there own bits and pieces to consider.
Some exceptions to this would be posts that are irrelevant to the intent.
I still don't have anything to add to the list, so I am looking at a reprimand.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:47 PM   #20
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Meat are you saying you want Creep to spank you?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:07 PM   #21
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodog
Meat are you saying you want Creep to spank you?
Do you really want to know the answer to that question?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #22
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Old 11-15-2006, 02:34 PM   #23
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,364
How long are you going to keep it? I'll keep my LC4 till I can break it real good and kill it. I'll see 15 years of my ownership. That would be 266 a year - not including P&M.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2006, 02:47 PM   #24
G.Kennedy

Oddometer: 1,850
An '02 w/ 12,000 miles on it for $5,000 is definatly on the high side.

For reference:

My '02 purchased used in '04 w/ 5000 miles, Scotts dampener, Touratech rack (no luggage), SXC can, road book holder .... was $4700.

I figure it as $4,000 for the bike and $700 in spare parts. It had plently of scatches, but was mechanically a 10.

I got a great deal for sure, The bike would have to be perfect to warrant $5000.
IBA#11791
G.Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:43 PM   #25
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,458
Quote:
Yep Drifty, FB mentioned that in his last sentence, and why I don't... but good to point it out, as much like the tranny bearing, I would have forgotten it.

Reading comprehension sucks.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:56 PM   #26
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,519
According to all you guys, I guess my 02 Adventure is overpriced at $5500. Oh well, guess I'll have to keep it, too bad for me. At least I'm stuck with a great bike, not a pile of shit.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #27
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
According to all you guys, I guess my 02 Adventure is overpriced at $5500. Oh well, guess I'll have to keep it, too bad for me. At least I'm stuck with a great bike, not a pile of shit.
Watch who you lump into that "all you guys" thing there honey bunny.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:19 PM   #28
G.Kennedy

Oddometer: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr

According to all you guys, I guess my 02 Adventure is overpriced ........... a great bike, ......

This is kind of the bottom line ..... follow Creeps initial post + the main bearing .....

After that .... if it gets your heart beatin faster .... pay what you think is fair ... who cares about $500 if its gone make you happy when you fire it up.

I always wanted an ADV R when I first saw it in 99 .. right now ... can't imagine ever parting with it.
IBA#11791
G.Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:07 PM   #29
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Okie dokie... I've upgraded the first post with Rad, Drifty and Woodsrider's specific inputs (gratzee guys ).

So unless we start getting really anal... or we've had a mass hypnotic suggestion to forget something important, that's about it.

Thank you for playing our game... g'night and have a plesant tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #30
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,623
I am also looking for a 640ADV ... let me know if you see one around the SF bay Area.