User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2008, 01:59 AM   #1
solamente OP
This is not amusing.

Oddometer: 67
New LC4 Owner - Which Farkles First?

I just recently purchased a stock, super-low-mileage 2002 640 LC4 and am wondering which farkles I should buy first given a finite budget and even more finite amount of time (to read the +150 of articles in Meat Popcicle's KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index):
  • My 225 lb, 6 foot 7 inch frame has orangutan-like proportions - I have a 39 inch inseam and a 7 foot wingspan (i.e., shirt size: 16-1/2 x 37) - but when I sit next to my average-height friends, we see eye-to-eye!
  • I was a novice motocross'er 20 years ago.
  • I used my XL650 and, later, my GS425 to commute to/from college 15 years ago but haven't owned a motorcycle since then.
  • I have modest ambitions and plan to use the LC4 almost entirely on desert and forest trails but nothing very technical - I've been riding my Jeep for the past 10 years and have much to learn.
  • The only time that this motorcycle will be on the highway is while en route to the trail within 200 miles of home. For more distant rides, I plan to trailer the KTM (and my camping gear) - My 6 foot 7 inch frame just can't take beinf folded into thirds for extended periods of time.
FWIW:
  • My Garmin GPS III just died last week so I'll be browsing the GPS forum in search of GPS-advice there.
  • My helmet is long gone and my motocross gear is too so I'll be browsing the Gear forum in search of riders' feedback there.
TIA!

2002 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro
2008 KTM 990 Adventure S

solamente screwed with this post 01-06-2008 at 01:21 PM
solamente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:44 AM   #2
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
You need a bike that suits your frame.

Give Renazco a call, they'll gladly fabricate a higher seat for you so you don't have to fold your grasshopper legs too much. Next find a set of bar risers and maybe even higher (ATV?) bars.

These two will most probably do the trick.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:57 AM   #3
solamente OP
This is not amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solamente
I just recently purchased a stock, super-low-mileage 2002 640 LC4 and am wondering which farkles I should buy first given a finite budget and even more finite amount of time (to read the +150 of articles in Meat Popcicle's KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index)
My first post and, already, I've disgraced myself: In about 60 minutes, I've read a handful of extremely useful articles...Now I just need the time to digest all of this information!

2002 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro
2008 KTM 990 Adventure S

solamente screwed with this post 01-06-2008 at 03:03 AM
Old 01-06-2008, 02:58 AM   #4
solamente OP
This is not amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
Give Renazco a call, they'll gladly fabricate a higher seat for you so you don't have to fold your grasshopper legs too much. Next find a set of bar risers and maybe even higher (ATV?) bars.

These two will most probably do the trick.
Thanks, Max!

2002 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro
2008 KTM 990 Adventure S
Old 01-06-2008, 06:50 AM   #5
mikeprod92211
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 589
You can farkle the bejesus out of the LC4E, a great bike by the way, or spring for the 950 SE which will allow you to do just about anything you want, with a hell of a lot more power.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 558
I'm thinking bar risers and beefier springs front & rear (.48, 8kg or there abouts). The Renazco would be next on my list, along with MX foot pegs (the current 640A ones are nice, its the same as the enduro/MX ones). The stock '02 ones are tiny (you'll need the current left footpeg bracket /arm, as the old one is funky - it won't accept "normal" pegs).
Para504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
  1. springs
  2. seat
  3. bars
  4. tires
Your bike will handle like poop with the stock springs and your size/weight. Everything else is just farkles. You need to make your bike fit you first.
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,373
A decent chain guide is a must in the woods, otherwise the chain gets fed off every time you're in a narrow rut. Have a look at this thread for part #s:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248368

Maybe a set of handguards, suspension as suggested above & you're good to go.

Then an SXC muffler + airbox venting & rejet as above would be the first 'nice to have' mods IMHO.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
paddythesmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
mainshaft bearing upgrade...

Picked up my 02' about one year ago from a state away - once home I ran it up the street, through the gears, to make sure it was intact. The very next thing I did was the clutch mainshaft bearing replacement. Having the luxury of a nice maintenance history, I was able to call and talk to the very mechanic who installed the FCR carb when the bike was new. He remembered the original history, etc. Anyhow, the upshot was that he recommended the upgrade. He offered that only occasionally did they implode and cause an issue, but that it usually wasn't a pretty sight. Mine was thankfully (and expectedly) in great shape, but I'm glad I got in there to see it, and upgrade it also.

Along with the FCR carb, mine has a renazco seat, SXC competition muffler (I added a promoto billet replacement cap to make it USFS legal, or at least try to), rally pegs, HB crash bars (don't know if I'd buy 'em, but they're on there - maybe good for tying my tent/bag to some day).

This winter I'm in the middle of an electrical project to the front: added electric grip warmers (dual star), gerbing bmw style socket, DATEL voltmeter, garmin V on duty mvg TT mount (on the road book holder), and perhaps, but probably not, one or 2 PIAA's. The biggest difference so far was the impact taking 12g wiring up (through fuse, relay, fuse) to the lowbeam. Although only 0.5V better than the stock wiring, it really does make a difference. This will allow for both low and high beams to be on at the same time. I plan to use the high beam wiring to trigger its own relay. Oh, there are a couple unused wire 2-connectors (molex style) under the cowling atop /in front of the headlights. Radio shack had one that fit one of them nicely (their small version). I used this ignition triggered power source to trigger my main relay on the 12g lead. I may add a laminar lip to the cowling, not sure. I'm 6'2" and a little underwhelmed at how much I get blown around on the highway (getting to the dirt).

Along with immediately changing the oil, adjusting the valves, I think greasing the headset is worthwhile. I waited until this winter, when I was going to be doing the electrical stuff.

enjoy your ride.
----------------
heard at work:
''everything was going great, until it wasn't"
paddythesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #10
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,317
Welcome to the club. You are very close to me, I am in San Jose.
I run Zumo 550 on my 2000. Never lost a signal.
I also installed HID light for high beam, heated grips.
You can take bike to http://www.aftershocks-suspension.com/
They know what to do with adventure's suspension. If nothing he can do basic setup for 40$.
I wish I had 39" inseam, sometimes I am in a lot of struggle with only 30".

Have fun.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
solamente OP
This is not amusing.

Thanks for all of the really good feedback, everybody!

2002 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro
2008 KTM 990 Adventure S
Old 01-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #12
4runner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Welcome, as a 6'4 LC4E rider I feel some of your pain, but have some insight. First, the risers most people use, push the bar closer to you, the LC4E already has an issue with the foot peg, bar relationship being too close, when I stand I feel like I am to far foward. I've attatchd a link to the risers I use, they give rise as well as move the bars away from you, actually helping the peg/bar relationship instead of making the problem worse, the way most risers do. If that isn't enough lift people love the Pastrana bend FMX bars but be aware that if you do BOTH of these mods you will need new brake lines and cables. You will need to respring the bike if you want it's full potential, Zerodog on this forum is the Guru of linked KTM suspension. It's a great versatile bike, enjoy!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154165

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144803
4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #13
solamente OP
This is not amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodog
  1. springs
  2. seat
  3. bars
  4. tires
Well, that pretty much sums it up! I'll order the Rally Risers and the Renazco next payday along with a set of Dunlop 505's. What do you recommend for bars to fit my orangutan-like proportions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintz
A decent chain guide is a must in the woods... Maybe a set of handguards... Then an SXC muffler + airbox venting & rejet as above would be the first 'nice to have' mods IMHO.
Seems good! A little more power and some protection for the paws is always a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddythesmith
The very next thing I did was the clutch mainshaft bearing replacement.
I've heard something about that... I saw a thread somewhere about a simple $100 fix if you replace the bearing before it actually fails.

2002 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro
2008 KTM 990 Adventure S

solamente screwed with this post 01-09-2008 at 11:50 PM
Old 01-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #14
mo' tarded
Turnip Truck Driver

Oddometer: 133
Shameless Plug:

I have a rally riser for sale in the classifieds. It has never even been mounted. I went with a stenhouse scotts damper mount. The riser does not work with that.

I'll save you a few bucks.

SMC ... of course
mo' tarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #15
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by solamente
I just recently purchased a stock, super-low-mileage 2002 640 LC4 and am wondering which farkles I should buy first given a finite budget and even more finite amount of time (to read the +150 of articles in Meat Popcicle's KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index):
  • My 225 lb, 6 foot 7 inch frame has orangutan-like proportions - I have a 39 inch inseam and a 7 foot wingspan (i.e., shirt size: 16-1/2 x 37) - but when I sit next to my average-height friends, we see eye-to-eye!
  • I was a novice motocross'er 20 years ago.
  • I used my XL650 and, later, my GS425 to commute to/from college 15 years ago but haven't owned a motorcycle since then.
  • I have modest ambitions and plan to use the LC4 almost entirely on desert and forest trails but nothing very technical - I've been riding my Jeep for the past 10 years and have much to learn.
  • The only time that this motorcycle will be on the highway is while en route to the trail within 200 miles of home. For more distant rides, I plan to trailer the KTM (and my camping gear) - My 6 foot 7 inch frame just can't take beinf folded into thirds for extended periods of time.
FWIW:
  • My Garmin GPS III just died last week so I'll be browsing the GPS forum in search of GPS-advice there.
  • My helmet is long gone and my motocross gear is too so I'll be browsing the Gear forum in search of riders' feedback there.
TIA!
A guy your size will definitely need the Renzaco seat---easiest/cheapest/best mod available. Of course then the bars are gonna need to come skyward. Best wait until you get this seat before you mess with the bars as it makes a huge difference in ergos. I ended up using two riser combos to arrive at 84mm over stock which required custom legnth cables. probably over kill off-road but, nice like a harley on road.
Then the Fastway Lowboy pegs. A little grinding is required to make it work on one side but once you get all this dialed in its like the bike finally fits soooo goood. Wish those "rally riseres" mentioned above were available when I was doing this cause they look to be the ticket.

BlitzBike screwed with this post 01-11-2008 at 07:01 PM
BlitzBike is offline   Reply With Quote