ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
Python423 OP
TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer: 1,273
Abandoned Railroads/Dual Sport/East TN?

I recently read a trip report of a d/s guy who went on a GeoCache Hunt (GPS Game), well it lead him down an abandoned rail road somewhere, so he rode his bike. That got me thinking might be some good dual sport oportunites. I remember seeing one Smith Mountain before Near Ocoee. You could probably just ride it for several miles to find alot more dual sport oportunites.

Anyone know where any stretches are that are abandoned? especially in East TN / Western NC ? Just a quick search online I found a site featuring them, and has a bunch listed by state.

Heres some info from the site, "Thousands of miles of railroads have been abandoned in the United States, much of it in the last 30 years. Most of the tracks have been left in place. All of these railroad lines have a history and story.

the site lists one near me"Englewood to Tellico Plains" , here is info on it,
"This branch extended east from Englewood, passing through Nonaburg, Wilson, and Mt. Vernon before ending at Tellico plains. West of Englewood, the line is still in service through Mashburn to Athens, where there is an interchange with the Norfol Southern (ex Southern). The Tellico Plains segment was probably abandoned in the 1970s or 1980s. Just a quick glance on Mapsource (Garmin GPS Software), its not listed on newer maps like City Navigator, but is shown on older maps like Roads and Recreation and Topo. But I wonder if any is left intact? it appears to go through and near roads and such, so I wonder if any of it is left that might go thru a wooded section or something...

I'm going to check it out sometime, put the tracks on my gps and see if I can locate anything.. Be cool to ride to Tellico Plains all way from Englewood on an abandoned rail road track, but I doubt I could do that, but I might find sections of it still in tact that might go thru a few miles of woods or something.. hopefully............ Anyone else have any expereinces like this? Here is the weblink , check it out, might be one near you, this is not all I'm sure, I wonder if any more are close by.

http://abandonedrailroads.homestead.com/

Python423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
Python423 OP
TnAdvRiders.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by escaper
Python, unfortunately I'm not familiar with abandoned railbeds in Eastern TN/Western NC, but I too would like to find some in that area. I'll be watching this thread for someone that may know. As you know, many abandoned railbeds are being used in Rails-to-Trails programs, such as the Silver Comet Trail between Smyrna, GA and Rockmart, GA and it connects with the Chief Ladiga Trail at the GA/AL state line, extending westward to Weaver, AL. Unfortunately for DS riders, anything with an engine is not allowed. But, it is a great trail and worth checking out on foot or bicycle.
http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/mtnbiker/ladiga.htm
http://www.trailexpress.com/index.php

I followed your link and found info on two in AL that I was unaware of!
Heres another webpage I found on the one I had found earlier this summer near Lost Creek Road.. More info on it, from what this couple says it appears to be abandoned but I dont think they say for sure. I'm not sure if you could get in trouble for riding it or not. I know at one section there was a trail that went down and run along it for a good ways.. I'm about 75% sure this one is abandoned , it runs along the hiwasee river. Would be cool to ride on a bike, but I think I'd be leary of any bridge crossings... I'll see if I can do a map export of the section I'm talking about.

http://www.janandpat.net/otherexp/rr_oldline.htm

Old 11-16-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
Ridir Frith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
rutherford county

Try down around Rutherfordton NC. All those long gone textile plants had rail lines, you can also check the old ET line around Elizabethton TN.
One really awesome, ride is coming from Cranberry, NC toward Hampton TN, on the right is Railroad Grade Road, old ET&WNC line, one lane, paved for the first part. The road has a sign and also a sign for the prison. If you follow the road far enough it turns to dirt and then runs to an old bridge you can't cross, if you could it would run you right into Doe River Camp. The spartanburg line from East Flat Rock all the way to past Inman SC is closed, but it does have rail in good shape and would likely beat your teeth out on the ties. Try the abandoned line from Murphy NC running toward the Natahalia Gorge. Then up there is the long lost Graham County line. Also out of Murphy is the L&N line, I think I was up there in around 90 and the rail was gone but the bed was great for a jeep ride.

Just remember that abandoned railroads usually revert to the property owner who ajoins them.

V-STROM 1K
KLR 650 2007
Ridir Frith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:15 AM   #4
FixxiT
Lunitic Fringe

Oddometer: 953
Keep an eye out for these guys...

NARCOA is a pretty big organization/club for rail buffs.
They buy up all these old track cars/speeders & run them on closed rail lines & main lines with a permit.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:53 AM   #5
Python423 OP
TnAdvRiders.com

Just an update on the Hiwasee River Rail Road around lost creek (http://www.janandpat.net/otherexp/rr_oldline.htm)

That strectch of rail is not abandoned... the Tennessee Overhill Heritage Association (http://www.tennesseeoverhill.com) did purchased the line from CSX, and has renovated the line all the way from the CSX mainline near Etowah to Copper Hill. I don't know for sure, but I am guessing that it will eventually join up with the Blue Ridge railroad, if it doesn't already. In fact, the Tennessee Valley Railroad group is running trains on the line now. These trains run only on the weekends and some Fridays.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:00 AM   #6
SDS
introverted excavator

Oddometer: 932
I'd be careful. If there are cross-ties and rails still in place it's not likely abandoned. I've been told that when a rail company truly abandons a line it goes in and removes the track. Otherwise they have to continue to pay taxes on the property and ROW. I think there are a few roadbeds (no track) here in N. Al., but I'd have to ask my dad. He's always been a big rail fan and he probably knows where a lot of this stuff is.
SDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:08 AM   #7
Python423 OP
TnAdvRiders.com

Heres another one I was tipped about in North Georgia from the webmaster of that site.

One to explore is in Walker County GA, where the old TAG line went through Pigeon Mountain. Last I heard the tunnel is still there, but they put a berm in front of the western portal to keep bikes and ATVs out... I haven't heard or read anything about the other side, or what if anything they have done with the rest of the line (where is Rails to Trails when you need them??). But even that is just a road bed... they pulled the rails up quite a few years ago.

More info at,

http://www.trainweb.org/tagrailway/tunnel/index.html

Old 11-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #8
Swampy
Mayor of Swampyville

Oddometer: 707
Python Ridin'

Python...

I know you're looking for places to ride, and this one is right in your neighborhood. Only about 20 minutes from Knoxville. This place is awesome, and the like all areas, the farther you go away from the main part, the fewer people you see. The stuff here is fantastic...you can't argue with 70,000 cares, yes, the numebr is correct....

Check it out...

http://www.coalcreekohv.com/

Pasco County Cemetery Tour

Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #9
Python423 OP
TnAdvRiders.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Python...

I know you're looking for places to ride, and this one is right in your neighborhood. Only about 20 minutes from Knoxville. This place is awesome, and the like all areas, the farther you go away from the main part, the fewer people you see. The stuff here is fantastic...you can't argue with 70,000 cares, yes, the numebr is correct....

Check it out...

http://www.coalcreekohv.com/
Hey Swampy, thanks for the reply. Yeah I have ridden Coal Creek several times last year on my DRZ400E. Its a great place. Problem is getting someone to ride with. But I got several guys from www.easttnriders.com who are ready to ride windrock anytime. I mainly been exploring just casual dual sport stuff closer to home lately (as I can do that solo), I'm about an hour from coal creek so not far, but theres alot of stuff closer if u know where to look (ie, old mines, google satellite images,etc). I can't wait to get back to coal creek.. I've had a blast ever time I've been. Even on the time I broke my toe up there...
Old 11-19-2006, 11:55 AM   #10
dirtdidler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
bump for more info, me and my five want to go!!!
dirtdidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:39 AM   #11
Python423 OP
TnAdvRiders.com

Heres a video from a train tunnel in east tn,

http://www.windrockatv3.com/images/V...ain_tunnel.wmv
Old 11-27-2006, 06:09 AM   #12
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,297
I have been following this thread very closely, I too find these abandoned RR's interesting. There are several abandoned RR's in Saltville VA. GSACHIC & I spent quite a few hours riding them one day, and plan a return trip to explore them further. I would like the location of the previous RR tunnel. I will PM you.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:33 AM   #13
Python423 OP
TnAdvRiders.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides
I have been following this thread very closely, I too find these abandoned RR's interesting. There are several abandoned RR's in Saltville VA. GSACHIC & I spent quite a few hours riding them one day, and plan a return trip to explore them further. I would like the location of the previous RR tunnel. I will PM you.
Which one? The nemo one (from video?) , I'm not exactly sure on the location, but here is the info I have on on it.. I read about it in this thread (windrock atv club in oliver spring's message board),

http://www.windrockatv2.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2806

it was linked to Tommy Rheas site (he's one who videoed it) I'm sure if u emailed him , he could give you more accruate directions.

http://www.tommyrhea.com/videoclips.htm

from the thread on the atv club forum, someone posted these directions,

"Gotta go to Wartburg, and go like you are going to Catoosa WMA. It'll be the little trail on the left just before you get to the Nemo Bridge. Probably about a 30 minute or so drive, maybe 45 mins, from the Windrock trailhead."

You might be able to take those directioins and look at a map and/or topo software,etc to determine where its at. or just email Tommy. I didn't follow it any further, as windrock is about 1 1/2 hour away form me as it is, and this is another 45mins+ away. So not an area I would likely be dual sporting anytime soon. Plus way the water is in it, I'd about be afraid to take a motorcycle thru there.. It does look cool tho.. Hope thats been of some info for ya..
Old 11-27-2006, 09:51 AM   #14
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,297
Thanks !! If it can be found, we can find it !
Old 11-27-2006, 10:08 AM   #15
Python423 OP
TnAdvRiders.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides
Thanks !! If it can be found, we can find it !
I'm sure theres probably a ton of killer dual sporting in that area. I just have so much yet to explore right in my back yard, let along couple hours away.. I rode at coal creek ohv saturday (www.coalcreekohv.com) on my drz400e, its a huge place, and only maybe explored 1% of it so far. Theres enuff riding there to keep me occupied for years.. Just finding the time to do all of it. But I know theres a ton of mountain roads/trails around coal creek thats not part of it, tons, so this is near by, I'm sure theres tons and tons of mountain roads outside the ohv area. which is huge in itself. enuff I'm sure to keep ya exploring for the rest of your life.. I'll look at my mapsource topo and see if I can get an idea where the nemo tunnel might be and post what i find..