ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2006, 09:24 AM   #16
Python423 OP
TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides
Thanks !! If it can be found, we can find it !
I pulled up Warburg on my topo and gps software, theres a railroad running near watburg , near a spot called nemo. This railroad track shows on City Navigator as well, but isn't on Garmin Roads & Red (older maps). So I'm not sure if thats a new railroad or the abandoned one. I emailed Tommy see if I could get cordinates and directions to it. I'll let ya'all know what I find out.
Python423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:10 PM   #17
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,329
Very Cool Rides

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #18
Frontpointer1000
Chillin' like a villain

Oddometer: 98
Old railroads are a blast. Just found one in my neighborhood (near Boston, Mass). Was riding through the twisties and saw an old access/maintenance road on the other side of a river. Found the entrance and followed the road til it turned to a single track - kept going and then finally had to bump up onto the track itself. Key here is to go fast enough that the individual rail road ties aren't too bumpy, they'll throw you off course. Crossed over bridges and went through amazing valleys - definitely made me wanting more when I was done. Some of the railroad had trees growing up through it--very fun.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:32 PM   #19
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python423
I pulled up Warburg on my topo and gps software, theres a railroad running near watburg , near a spot called nemo. This railroad track shows on City Navigator as well, but isn't on Garmin Roads & Red (older maps). So I'm not sure if thats a new railroad or the abandoned one. I emailed Tommy see if I could get cordinates and directions to it. I'll let ya'all know what I find out.
Found it this spring ! Send me a PM if you want directions.

Tunnel pics:

http://dlrides.smugmug.com/gallery/2852904#P-2-9

http://dlrides.smugmug.com/gallery/2852904#P-3-9
dlrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #20
Python423 OP
TnAdvRiders.com

Theres an old railroad bridge (old O&W) that's passable up in the Big South Fork area. I haven't rode up there yet, but saved the info for future exploring. This info was gathered from other sources.

The old O&W railroad bed near the Big South Fork has great views of the river and an old trestle to cross.
The railroad bed (1410') is a gentle ride of 8 miles to the bridge (940') over the Big South Fork. The road follows Pine Creek and turns to gravel at 0.5 miles. A good parking place is at Toomey Road (mile 3.8, 1250') just before one of the crossings of Pine Creek. (Toomey road climbs to 1540' and joins TN 297 in 2.4 miles.) The O&W road becomes rougher (more potholes) and more scenic, and at mile 6.5 Piney Creek joins the Big South Fork as the road runs north through a wall of rock. The rider looks down on the Big South Fork and up to the sandstone cliffs above. From the O&W bridge (mile 8.1, 940'), a horse trail goes north 2.3 miles to Leatherwood Ford (900') on TN 297. The O&W road continues across the bridge and up North White Oak Creek to a wet crossing at mile 9.6 (900', avoid in high water). The railroad bed gently climbs along the creek and has some bus-sized mud holes and several wet creek crossings. The Coyle Branch trail (mile 11.1) climbs back up to jeep roads that lead back to Bandy Creek, or you can go further up the railbed to the Gernt Road ascent (mile 13.6), or futher still to Zenith (mile 15.5, 1060') where you have to ford the creek again. The railbed continues to follow the creek for another 8 or so miles, but the section is not maintained.

Directions from Knoxville, TN. North bound 1-75 exit at Highway 63, the Oneida-Huntsville Exit (141). Follow Highway 63 west for 21 miles through Huntsville to U.S. 27. Turn right on U.S. 27 and drive north 7 miles to Oneida. At the first traffic light, turn left on Highway 297 west and follow 297 approximately 10 miles. Keep your eye out for a road on the left (I think is is marked O&W road). It is across from the huge horse farm, with the expensive fencing, on the right. Continue straight until the road turns to gravel and eventually leads to the railroad bed. Head right to see the views of the river and the trestle.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #21
ridenagain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Big South Fork O&W Railroad grade & Hiwassee RR

The O&W rail bed in the Big South Fork was, without a doubt one of the great railroad bed rides in east TN. I have done all of it's length inside and near the Big South Fork Rec. Area, but, a "rule change" was made about 4 years ago inside the BSF that stopped access to motorcycles and such. Odd how now (if memory serves me correctly) the railroad bed west of the bridge (where creeks had to be forded several times) doesn't even show up on BSF published maps. Another case of Big Brother censoring information to manipulate our behaviors.

Also, the railroad grade you mentioned adjacent (south side) to the Hiwassee river is now back in use and has been for a couple of years. Last information I had it's now used for excursion trains from time to time (rarely) and also is sometimes used to haul ore (pseudo-processed) from Copperhill, TN. There was a time, about 5 years ago, when this railroad was not in use and consideration was given to abandoning the right of way. During this time it was ridden at least twice going over and under a couple of fallen trees blocking the line i the process. If my information is correct, this is the only rail line east of the Mississippi (check me on this) that spirals 360 degrees, crossing itself to gain elevation; the highlight was riding all of the spiral and then crossing the tressle above the tracks below.

Like many such things, both of these opportunities are no longer (legally/safely) available to us. Just thought I'd pass along the info.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #22
waldrtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
anybody ever ride near Dobson or Roaring Gap, NC. I found an old grade there many years ago but could never find any info on it. Just wondering if anybody ride in that area?
waldrtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #23
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,638
Somewhere near Hampton....

FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:31 AM   #24
Python423 OP
TnAdvRiders.com

what state?

http://www.facebook.com/python423
Old 08-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #25
FlySniper
Bleh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python423
what state?
Tennessee. That's as far as we could make it on Old Railroad Grade Road. At least I think we were still on that road... it followed along a creek for a while until it came to a widened out dead end with a trail leading off... my first thought was the trail merely lead to a fishing spot, turned out to be the old narrow gauge rail line. My partner walked across the old bridge and found it leads to an old tunnel with the tracks still in place. It was a short ride, but pretty cool. The good thing is there are plenty of roads and places to keep a motorcyclist occupied all day... and then some.
I'll have more pics coming. (I think I need to start my own thread...)

I'm game to go again, give me a shout and I'll take you to it.

This is me just before I busted my butt... I made it up on the second try!

Old 08-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #26
Ridir Frith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I think that rail is part of the Doe River Gorge Chirstian Camp. You can even set up an excursion out there on a speeder if you call ahead. The roadbed is paved for many miles as a one laner. Finally you run out to that pic. If you run into hampton, you can pick it up again and follow it to a cool tunnel, I would stop and ask at the house before I blast thru the guys yard. We asked, he said have at it.

V-STROM 1K
KLR 650 2007
Ridir Frith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:34 AM   #27
FlySniper
Bleh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridir Frith
I think that rail is part of the Doe River Gorge Chirstian Camp. You can even set up an excursion out there on a speeder if you call ahead. The roadbed is paved for many miles as a one laner. Finally you run out to that pic. If you run into hampton, you can pick it up again and follow it to a cool tunnel, I would stop and ask at the house before I blast thru the guys yard. We asked, he said have at it.
Are you talking about the old man in the yellowish house? We saw him out (he waved/we waved) but didn't stop to say "Hi." The road did turn to gravel before we came to an open gate and "No Tresspassing" signs and turned around.

I'd like to find the tunnel, is it on Old Railroad Grade Rd?

One direction we tried the road was gated off and had "Posted: NO TRESSPASSING" signs, there was an old man sitting on the porch of a house as we went up.. he smiled and waved, we smiled and waved. The gate was open, but we respected the signs and turned around.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #28
frijole
Clickin'

Oddometer: 897
A friend and I rode through the old Wartburg, Tn RR tunnel a couple years back.

frijole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #29
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,280
We hike and bike the Creeper - always want to rip up to White Top on the moto.
http://www.vacreepertrail.com/
Old 03-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #30
dep411
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by frijole View Post
A friend and I rode through the old Wartburg, Tn RR tunnel a couple years back.

Thats awesome
dep411 is offline   Reply With Quote