Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #76
daewoo
nothing better to do

Oddometer: 225
I know that it isn't specifically related to cockie's - It's a long time since I did any roustabout work on a sheep and wheat property... and then it was mostly riding in the back of a ute, or driving their morry major...

The best article I have read on helmets was titled "Motorcylce Helmet Performance: blowing the lid off" from Motorcyclist Magazine... unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an online link direct to the magazine anymore, but I did find this .pdf version... http://www.westcoastweasels.com/arch...he_Lid_Off.pdf

THE principal role of a helmet is to prevent injuries from rapid deceleration of the brain within the skull, not impact on the skull, which is more easily dealt with (i.e. you could easily prevent skull fractures, by replicating an extra, sacrificial skull, but the brain inside would be toast)... the hard shell is there to hold the foam in place, and spread the load over the foam, so it can control the deceleration...

I have two theories about your mate... one is that, in a time of crisis, people cannot process a massive amount of information in a time of great stress... they can and do grab onto small details in something someone says, and run with that... sometimes an otherwise insignificant piece of information... sometimes to give basis to an otherwise illogical point of view...

If someone in the hospital actually did say this in the context you report... either 'a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing'... or they thought they were being kind in a period of grief for the family, by not adding to that grief a sense of guilt or responsibility...

Either way, a helmet almost certainly would have prevented a significant amount of your mates head injury...

Cheers,
Daewoo
info on riding in Thailand http://www.GT-Rider.com
info on help with Learning Disabilities http://www.learninglinks.org.au
daewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #77
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by daewoo View Post
The best article I have read on helmets was titled "Motorcylce Helmet Performance: blowing the lid off" from Motorcyclist Magazine... unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an online link direct to the magazine anymore, but I did find this .pdf version... http://www.westcoastweasels.com/arch...he_Lid_Off.pdf

THE principal role of a helmet is to prevent injuries from rapid deceleration of the brain within the skull, not impact on the skull, which is more easily dealt with (i.e. you could easily prevent skull fractures, by replicating an extra, sacrificial skull, but the brain inside would be toast)... the hard shell is there to hold the foam in place, and spread the load over the foam, so it can control the deceleration...

I read an article where they said that the lighter polycarbonate helmets tended to not deccelerate as fast as the heavier fibreglass helmets therefore causing less brain trauma. The article made the point that the cheaper helmet in some instances may actually be safer.

But at the end of the day helmets are really only designed for low speed crashes.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #78
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 379
Generally I am a fan of choice, and yeah it should be up to the individual to decide when they wear a helmet and other safety gear.

I ride bicycles and I ride a motorbike.... I often decide not to ride a helmet when I'm on a bicycle as I'm riding slow and steady. When I know I'm gonna ride fast and / or riskier I put on a helmet.... If we had the choice, I'd still wear a helmet every time I ride a motorbike.

I've had three accidents in the last few years that make me think this.

First one was on a bicycle... wearing an expensive ($200.. which is VERY pricey for a bicycle) helmet. Crashed at maybe 35 - 40 km/h. Pretty much landed on my head. Cracked the helmet all the way through in 3 places. Blacked out for a few seconds. I KNOW that if I hadn't worn the helmet I'd either be dead or very injured.

Second one was on a motorbike. Fell off at maybe 50-60 km/h. Was wearing a $700 Shoei. Felt my head hit the ground. It was hard. I had concussion and a headache for a couple of weeks. Given my experience from my bicycle crash at a lower speed, had I not been wearing a helmet this time I hate to think what a mess I'd be without it.

Third accident was recently. Was playing in a billy cart with my kids... rolled it down a concrete drain at a very, very low speed. Was wearing no safety gear: shorts, tee shirt and thongs. Got more grazes, scabs and bruises on this accident than the last two combined, although didn't hit my head. Made me appreciate my dririders and gloves etc....

Safety gear makes a big difference. End of story. Anyone says otherwise talking out their arse. :)

Oh yeah and then I remember years ago being on the back of a motorbike that some dickhead crashed at low speed... nurse was cleaning gravel out of my arm for a long time.
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:49 AM   #79
ECKS-Man
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
I think we can safely say that helmets reduce impact on heads in an accident. Picture a sledgehammer hitting an anvil - big hard hit. Wrap the sledgehammer head in foam and repeat, much of the energy is absorbed.

But at a certain level of force you are going to get a brain injury even with a helmet. Under no circumstances can I imagine a helmet making such an injury worse. Given the choice, I go for wearing a helmet over not.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #80
GTinAus
nutsplitter

Oddometer: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
What's the workcover situation with this?
Basically the same as any other industrial accident.

No matter how stupid the employee, the employer is at fault.

A neighbor of mine, about 8 years ago, had 2 20 year old girls working for him, on his cattle property, about 17 Kms west of Uralla.

He had gone into town to pick up some more drench, and told the girls to continue weighing the weaners.

After about half an hour, they decided to ride the ag bike back to the house, about 3 KM away, to get a drink (there was water there, but they wanted something fizzy).

Anyway, they had been told NOT to ride the bike (they came in the ute, which was now in town), but doubled anyway, leaving the helmet sitting on the ground.

Long story short, the girl riding turned too sharply, put her foot down, twisted her knee and snapped her ACL.

WorkCover fined him $180,000 for not providing helmets, for leaving the key in the bike (it was actually an XR250, with no key, but that seemed irrelevant), and generally leaving the bike not heavily chained to a fence.

He had also to pay $30,000 for WorkCovers Lawyers, plus his own.

And to top it off, the local orthopedic surgeon, who botched the knee reconstruction, so she will walk with a limp for the rest of her life, just collected his fat fee and nothing further was said.

A lot of bigger properties, are sending their workers off to do the RTA Pre learner, and Pre Provisional training, to get their licence, and that seems to satisfy WorkCover, as regards training.

GTinAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #81
Gympieguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Atgatt

Was going to visit a hermit mate who only lives a few hundred meters from my place for our weekly coffee and was putting my helmet and gloves on but ignored my jacket as it was very humid and thought what the F***, its only a couple of hundred meters so why bother....got a hundred meters up the road and just into 6th gear when a big buck wallaby jumped out from behind a bush on the side of the road. Thankfully we both had good reflexes and as I swerved right, he did a left hand turn millimeters from taking out my front wheel and sending me sliding along the flesh tearing chipseal that makes up our road...figured it was the 'Motorcycle Gods' making sure from now on I wear All The Gear All The Time. Just curious has any one else got similar warnings from the Gods that protect us from our foolishness?

Steve.P
Gympieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #82
Hunsta
Have guns will hunt

Oddometer: 5,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gympieguy View Post
Was going to visit a hermit mate who only lives a few hundred meters from my place for our weekly coffee and was putting my helmet and gloves on but ignored my jacket as it was very humid and thought what the F***, its only a couple of hundred meters so why bother....got a hundred meters up the road and just into 6th gear when a big buck wallaby jumped out from behind a bush on the side of the road. Thankfully we both had good reflexes and as I swerved right, he did a left hand turn millimeters from taking out my front wheel and sending me sliding along the flesh tearing chipseal that makes up our road...figured it was the 'Motorcycle Gods' making sure from now on I wear All The Gear All The Time. Just curious has any one else got similar warnings from the Gods that protect us from our foolishness?

Steve.P
Learned my lesson in 2002. No gloves. No skin on my palms for 6 weeks.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #83
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,022
Craig he wants to hear about close calls on motorbikes not one of your lonely weekends at home.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #84
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,685
harsh DRJoe

That is a harsh comment DrJoe; funny but harsh!

I just geared up to go for a ride and found out my battery is flat. Bloody DRZ electronic speedo strikes again!
Lesson learnt. start the bike up prior to donning the gear.
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #85
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Our riding yesterday (wearing the gear) but I saw maybe a dozen other bikes and not one was wearing gloves!!

One bloke even had a cool Joe Rocket looking jacket, but no gloves....... I don't get it.......
Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #86
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 830
lesson learned late... the hard way

I went for a ride last weekend, lost the front out on a slippery puddle in the dirt, was only in 2nd gear, somehow my left leg dragged as I was sliding down, popped my knee and now I'm looking at 6mths recovering with surgery apparently....

Lesson: spend the $700-$1,000 on good knee braces!!
KTM 625SXC - Adventure bike (project)
GPS and other items for sale
Young-Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #87
Reckless Relic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Complacency will get ya every time

Four weeks ago my son and I went out for a quick ride one of those times when your not really committed only half paying attention after all its dry and I know the track, then bang down I go pick my self up and dust off the jacket and the pride, lesson learnt engage brain when riding.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #88
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
That is a harsh comment DrJoe; funny but harsh!

I just geared up to go for a ride and found out my battery is flat. Bloody DRZ electronic speedo strikes again!
Lesson learnt. start the bike up prior to donning the gear.
He's typed worse about me and no doubt he's concocting his revenge as we speak

Hello mr Hunsta sir
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #89
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,663
I learnt early...

First ride ever on a moped on bitumen - no gloves and no skin on palms for a couple of weeks.

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #90
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,731
This inmate took a tumble of an electric powered mountain bike. He was having a sleepover on the way to Phillip Island.

Doesn't look too bad does it? He was still wearing a funny boot up to Christmas and the orthopod was contemplating surgery on the knee bone
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Sleepy John screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 09:15 PM
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote